Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: "correct" tyre pressure

  1. #21
    Senior Member "correct" tyre pressure
    "correct" tyre pressure
    DirtFlier's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Troy, Ohio
    Posts
    808
    [..Whatever is says on the sidewall of the tire minus 10% is close enough...]

    That number is usually the maximum recommended pressure from the tire maker and NOT what the motorcycle manufacturer specifies for a specific model.

  2. #22
    Senior Member "correct" tyre pressure dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North FL USA
    Posts
    3,680
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
    ..... But shouldn't it be heating up to 46 ?
    Mike
    I meant to say that under me 42 heats to 46 or so. Thanks for catching my error.
    Dave

    GL1800
    NC700XD




  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Bike: Nc700x
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    123
    I'm about 225 lbs all geared up , no bags on bike etc. Is the advise on this thread too run the tires approximately 2-5 psi under what is stated on the sidewall of the tires?. This of course will be dependent on summer or autumn riding , correct? .

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT was 700X dct
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    I'm about 225 lbs all geared up , no bags on bike etc. Is the advise on this thread too run the tires approximately 2-5 psi under what is stated on the sidewall of the tires?. This of course will be dependent on summer or autumn riding , correct? .
    I think the consensus is that you ignore the stuff on the sidewall - you should never be anywhere near those readings, they are just for safety. Without going through the whole thread to remind myself, I think the gist of it is to adjust the recommended pressures from Honda by lowering them by about 10% if you are riding one-up (but you are a big guy so maybe just 5%) and since I think Cincinatti gets pretty cold, you need to adjust for outside air temperature too. If your garage is at near zero deg for instance then you should set the pressure 10% lower than the booklet says, as it has assumed 20 degrees C. I think if you get it right then you should find the pressure in (say) the back tyre after a few miles of vigorous riding should be 46lb because the tyre will have flexed and warmed up properly.
    Mike

  5. #25
    Senior Member "correct" tyre pressure GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    541

    "correct" tyre pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by TN Thunder View Post
    I may be wrong but I believe the tire pressure sticker indicates 36F/42R. That's what I run in my tires (that's cold pressure).
    This for me. I don't have (and don't want to invest $100's) in tire monitors. So I measure cold before riding, and go with 36/42. No worries so far on PR4's in all conditions (including snow).
    Last edited by GregC; 19th November 2016 at 21:01.

  6. #26
    Senior Member "correct" tyre pressure dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North FL USA
    Posts
    3,680
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
    I think the consensus is that you ignore the stuff on the sidewall - you should never be anywhere near those readings, they are just for safety. Without going through the whole thread to remind myself, I think the gist of it is to adjust the recommended pressures from Honda by lowering them by about 10% if you are riding one-up (but you are a big guy so maybe just 5%) and since I think Cincinatti gets pretty cold, you need to adjust for outside air temperature too. If your garage is at near zero deg for instance then you should set the pressure 10% lower than the booklet says, as it has assumed 20 degrees C. I think if you get it right then you should find the pressure in (say) the back tyre after a few miles of vigorous riding should be 46lb because the tyre will have flexed and warmed up properly.
    Mike
    I heartedly disagree. Today in 70 degree F my 42 psi cold rear tire was showing 47 psi after good and warm. That's about 12% increase. I used to run pressures around 38 to 40 cold on the rear and after installing TPMS I found those numbers too low. I weigh about 170 lbs in riding gear.
    Dave

    GL1800
    NC700XD




  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Bike: Nc700x
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    123
    I check tire pressure before I ride (cold). So, I should start out cold pressure wise below the recommended 42 rear and 36 front psi ? by 5 to 10% less ?.

  8. #28
    Senior Member HarveyM's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    402
    My Honda user's manual pretty clearly states under the specs tire pressure 36 front, 42 rear (refer to page 173) and tire pressures should be checked cold (refer to page 89; checking tire pressure). Why would you not go to the manual for things like this? I mean these are the people who have to be right about this stuff, or they'd be out of a job. With my riding abilities any more of the finer nuances are simply lost on me (and I'm sure on the majority of riders).
    Last edited by HarveyM; 20th November 2016 at 07:43.

  9. #29
    Super Moderator "correct" tyre pressure 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,444
    All this talk of tire (tyre) pressures expressed in PSI got me wondering. Does the majority of the world that uses the SI system express tire pressures in kPa or something, or are they forced to use the funky US customary system (or similar) system?
    Last edited by 670cc; 20th November 2016 at 09:15.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

    NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT was 700X dct
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    I check tire pressure before I ride (cold). So, I should start out cold pressure wise below the recommended 42 rear and 36 front psi ? by 5 to 10% less ?.
    The vehicle manufacturer means 'before riding' when he says 'cold' What he doesn't take into account is that in winter in the UK it could be zero deg C in my garage 'before riding'. If I want to check my tyres before setting off on a very cold winter day, I do not want to set them at 36/42 because those recommended pressures have been set assuming a workshop temperature of 20 deg C. If I set them at 36/42 and go riding it's likely that the tyre will not flex enough to get up to its best working temperature and so grip will suffer. I want really good grip in a cold wet UK winter so it's better for me to set the air pressures 10% lower (ie 32/38)
    .... at least that's what I gleaned from researching htis a few months ago
    Mike

Similar Threads

  1. "Desperate times call for desparate measures" OR "Lazarus, Come out!!"
    By mpgandfun in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 9th April 2016, 06:14
  2. Manual up shift when in "S" (or "D")
    By tapsak4 in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 17th October 2014, 05:23
  3. Having trouble (problem) going into "Gallery"" .
    By Old Can Ride in forum Site Announcements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 3rd November 2013, 01:12
  4. The "D" model versus "D" year.
    By johnkrumm in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17th June 2013, 23:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •