Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel economy and big is better in USA

Senior Member Fuel economy and big is better in USA happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans

Fuel economy and big is better in USA

Hi guys
    Please don't read me wrong but I just wanna get the story from the horse's mouth.

Outside US, many people (including moir) have the impression that US vehicle owners are not really conscious nor care too much about the fuel economy. Instead they like to go for bigger the better motors and engines.

The riders here (nc700) are kind of bucking that trend. What gives?

Do you feel or view that most US vehicular drivers are still the same gas guzzlers? Or is it because of a financial problem now that they will seriously look for fuel efficient vehicles?
    i mean if fuel was dirt cheap (like 20years ago), would you care about fuel economy for your motorcycle?

I won't even talk about the environment impacts. That's another can of worms.

i look forward to some sensible discussions and not childish bashing.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by happy; 10th October 2013 at 04:33.
    ~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...

Senior Member Fuel economy and big is better in USA Fuzzy's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, MP3 400
    I bought gas yesterday for $2.92 per gallon, $0.77 per liter. What do you pay?

Plenty of freeways and long distances.
    Apply dog logic to life:
    "Eat Well, Be Loved, Get Petted, Sleep A Lot, and Dream Of A Leash Free World."

ATG ATT

Senior Member Fuel economy and big is better in USA Hmcp88's Avatar
    Bike: Nc700x
    Ya I have to agree with Fuzzy, fuel here isn't as bad priced as I hear it is over there where you are. I usually pay $3.20ish a gallon. That being said I do not have a car because I can not afford to drive 60+ miles a day at 20 mpg. Now the fact that I ride only with no car puts me at like .0001% of US population. Not to mention I believe motorcycle (esp with catalytic converters) are better for the environment than cars. That being said I did not ever fuelly nor care what my last bike (cbr1000rr) got mpg. It was what it was and I didn't even think about it, plus it had to take top tier gas. Now the not caring could be attributed to the fact I'm only 25 now, and at least here in the US you don't care about anything usually and think your invincible... Lol. Until you start to get a family and such when you realize things like this matter. Now that the NC has changed me I look at Fuelly every time I like a motorcycle. Not all of us are like that but must don't seem to care about putting $100 into a gas tank that would only last me a few days.. I work for Harley Davidson, which get 30ish mpg and watch these guys get out of 4 door extended cab hemi v8 trucks wondering how they can afford to drive the thing?! But as I said I'm a motorcycle only young guy, riding a bike that's considered slow here but gets 70 mpg. My age demographic shows I should be riding wheelies and doing burn outs everywhere on some liter bike! Instead I am trying to figure out how to get more luggage and wind protection on my bike, maybe I'm aging to quickly? We aren't all driving tanks to work here, just most lol.
    Last edited by Hmcp88; 10th October 2013 at 04:34.

Senior Member Fuel economy and big is better in USA happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans
    Fuel in Switzerland is around 1.85chf per liter or US$1.70 per litre?
    It is about 30% more in EU countries, like Germany or Austria or Italy.

Besides, I am not talking about fuel economy or fuel prices.

My main question for this thread is:
    Are US drivers / motorcyclists gas guzzlers (still)?
    Last edited by happy; 10th October 2013 at 04:34.
    ~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...

Senior Member Fuel economy and big is better in USA dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by happy View Post
    Fuel in Switzerland is around 1.85chf per liter or US$1.70 per litre?
    It is about 30% more in EU countries, like Germany or Austria or Italy.

Besides, I am not talking about fuel economy or fuel prices.

You want an answer to fit your preconceived notion......... do you read your own posts? You already "know" US drivers are gas guzzlers and are just seeking bias confirmation. If you want a sensible discussion then some US citizens are going to give reasons why fuel economy isn't normally the first priority in choosing a vehicle. If you don't want a discussion than don't ask because it is likely to come up.

For me, I didn't buy the NC700X solely for fuel economy or for fuel economy at all. Motorcycles are toys for me and purely a recreational pursuit. My job gives me a car to drive so I can't ride a motorcycle to work if I wanted to. Instead, I wanted middleweight 650cc bike to replace an aging one that was going to have about the same performance and riding position. I rode the BMW 650 single & twins and Versys and V-Strom and was not happy with the choices. I am drawn to Honda products but Honda did not a bike in this category until the NC700X was introduced. The efficiencies built in the NC are a side benefit - I did not buy the NC for fuel economy but I was influenced by it and the fact it will be economical to operate over time (insurance, maintenance, tires).
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: nc700 dct
    san francisco bay area is HIGH on gas. About $3.90 a gallon or so right now.
    When I go across our northern border to canada, oh my.... no wonder why they come down to buy gas.

I just like the looks and dct of the honda nc. Fuel mileage on the nc wasn't on my priority list. It just happens it gets good gas mileage which is a plus.
    If it wasn't for the nc, I would of gotten the BMW f650/700gs, but of coarse no dct. What steered me away from BMW was there was NO dct option. They did had every option in the book, EXCEPT for the dct.

In terms of gas guzzlers, I have those too. I own a boat with at 225hp - 2 stroke on there. Even though its newer technology (etec, direct fuel injection), it still guzzels fuel. Pls a truck (F250 diesel which is a 7.3L turbo) to pull the beast. Since I been working so much, I haven't even gotten time to play with the boat as much. Maybe once or twice a month.

Ken
    Last edited by kjang; 10th October 2013 at 05:52.

Senior Member Fuel economy and big is better in USA StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    It's not the fuel cost that makes me enjoy good fuel economy, it's good engineering. In any country, there are engineering fans, and we appreciate a finely crafted engine no matter what flag we salute.

There may have been a time when one could charactrerize a single person by his nationality. If that were ever very accurate, I suspect it's not as telling as it once was. Thanks to the Internet, people associate based on Interest and less so on location.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
    There may have been a time when one could charactrerize a single person by his nationality. If that were ever very accurate, I suspect it's not as telling as it once was. Thanks to the Internet, people associate based on Interest and less so on location.
    Very true especially in the younger generation.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Commuter Extraordinaire Fuel economy and big is better in USA
    Fuel economy and big is better in USA
    Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by happy View Post
    I guess I would fall in the gas guzzler category. My primary vehicle is a jeep wrangler that has been highly modified (heavy) and I've added a supercharge. It gets around 13 -14 mpg in the city. My wife’s vehicle is a four door jeep wrangler. I guess that makes it pretty clear that I'm not concerned about fuel prices. The cost of fuel is not that bad right now but it didn't bother me when it was over $4 a gallon. I can't do anything to control the fuel prices and I love jeeps. They are terrible on gas. It's just a consequence you pay.

My purchase of the NCX was not intentional. I have mentioned that before. Went to the dealer with commuting on my mind but also wanted to look at a Repsol CBR1000RR. The dealer introduced me to the NCX when I said commute. Am I happy the NCX gets high 60's in MPG? Yes. Is that why I bought it? No. Primarily the storage and seated position is what won over.

I wouldn't say I don't care about how much fuel I use. I just care more about driving and riding something I like.

Member Fuel economy and big is better in USA Hollow Road Rider's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800
    Go ahead, call me a guzzler.

I have never purchased any of the 7 bikes I have owned based on fuel economy. The fact that bikes get better mileage than my Tacoma or my Outback has nothing to do with which I choose to get around in/on for the day.

Biking is a pleasure for me. I have the luxury to choose one of two bikes to use for my work, the NC or the Gold Wing. For daily commuting in and around the city I choose the NC simply because I find it easier to maneuver in situations that require frequent parking and dealing with congested traffic.

Certainly I appreciate the fact that I get way better mileage on the NC, but it was not the reason behind the purchase. Simply put, I like the bike better than the others in similar size and price.
    Last edited by Hollow Road Rider; 10th October 2013 at 07:24. Reason: spell correction