Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: My friend Tim needs a hand

Senior Member My friend Tim needs a hand dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80

My friend Tim needs a hand

My friend Tim Roush is a good guy, the kind of friend that not only lends you the tool you need he comes over and helps you do the job. He's a hard worker and has raised a family and done most of the right things so far in life. We live a few miles apart in Jacksonville, FL.

Tim likes to ride rallies and long distance on his Africa Twin DCT and was attempting a DustyButt 1500 the weekend before last. This is 1500 miles in less than 24 hours mostly on unpaved roads. Riding across Kansas on Sunday April 28th Tim hit a deer at 12 noon. He suffered a broken neck and leg. The news the first couple of days was not good. The spinal cord injury paralyzed his right hand and legs but as the days unfolded some feeling has returned and the prognosis is getting better for rehabilitation and recovery. Soon the hospital in Wichita will discharge him to the care of a spinal cord rehabilitation center. He has good insurance but BCBS will only cover medical transport to the nearest rehab, which is in Lincoln, NB. His family and support network is in Jacksonville and we are trying to raise the $19,500 needed to medically transport him home to Jacksonville for rehabilitation surrounded by friends and family. If you can spare anything to help, I am asking for him. If you can see fit to help a little or a lot click on this GoFundMe link. The charity adds a tip amount but you can change the amount to as little as you want.

If you can't help with $$, please pray for him, or think good thoughts or whatever you do for people you love.

Thank you guys.

Fundraiser by Brittany Thomas : Tim Roush Motorcycle Accident
    Last edited by dduelin; 6th May 2019 at 18:55.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member My friend Tim needs a hand
    My friend Tim needs a hand
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    Dave, policies probably do vary from state to state, but it might be worth pressing them a little on the transportation parameters. I also have BCBS and was given a second card to use if I was hospitalized over 150 miles from home. That number is for Air Medical Services and is supposed to provide air transport to the hospital back home. I called them to see if there was a “catch” but was told my local hospital would be where I would end up. Your friends case is far more complicated and involves specialized care but I guess I’d just toss this out there in the hope that something was missed..

I’m sure sorry for Tim. Every rider’s nightmare. I plan to make a donation - “there, but for the grace of God.....”

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Senior Member My friend Tim needs a hand davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bird..
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Dave, policies probably do vary from state to state, but it might be worth pressing them a little on the transportation parameters. I also have BCBS and was given a second card to use if I was hospitalized over 150 miles from home. That number is for Air Medical Services and is supposed to provide air transport to the hospital back home. I called them to see if there was a “catch” but was told my local hospital would be where I would end up. Your friends case is far more complicated and involves specialized care but I guess I’d just toss this out there in the hope that something was missed..

I’m sure sorry for Tim. Every rider’s nightmare. I plan to make a donation - “there, but for the grace of God.....”
    Unfortunately Florida Blue (BCBS of Florida) policy states (I will be making a donation):

'Air, helicopter, and boat ambulance services are
    covered to transport a patient from the location of
    an emergency medical Condition to the nearest
    Hospital that can provide the Medically Necessary
    level of emergency care, when: (1) the pick-up
    point is inaccessible by ground; (2) speed in
    excess of ground speed is critical; or (3) the travel
    distance by ground is too far to safely treat the patient'
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tim does have a patient advocate case worker in Wichita. I only hope they are truly advocating for him.

Thanks everyone.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member My friend Tim needs a hand davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bird..
    I notice when I donated yesterday they are up to over $10,000....hope all goes well for him and the paralysis disappears over time...let him know he has people out here praying for him...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for prayers, thoughts, and gifts.

Blue Cross Blue Shield reconsidered and Tim is flying medijet to Florida this morning. Tim has posted that his accident may not have changed his life but the outpouring of help certainly has.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD