Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When parking your bike.... Bars to the left, or right?

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A

When parking your bike.... Bars to the left, or right?

The natural geometry of a motorcycle causes the front wheel to turn left when leaning to the left.

Try an experiment with a bicycle:

Try turning the wheel to the right and lean the bike to the left. The bike will tend to roll forward and away and slide out from under you.
    This forward motion could cause a side stand to fold backwards and allow the bike to fall over.

Now try turning the wheel to the left and lean the bike to the left. The bike will try to roll backwards and rotate in towards the side stand.
    The backwards motion will keep the side stand extended to the forward position and results in a more stable situation.

JT

Senior Member When parking your bike.... Bars to the left, or right? frozenpoet's Avatar
    Bike: cbr600, NC700X
    In the 10+ years of riding, I've locked my forks probably 5 times... To see if the locks worked on my various bikes.
    I get 63 MPG, what do you get? Speeding tickets?
    I pack to camp but stay in a hotel because I have no idea what I'm doing...

instagram.com/J_in_the_va

on two wheels

Senior Member When parking your bike.... Bars to the left, or right? New Commuter700's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    Yea, put me in the lock the forks camp, but the reason that I turn the bars to the left is because it just seemed more stable on a flat surface. I've always done it like that and I have little doubt that my Dad told me that's how you do it and I have forgotten that he told me that.

https://tinkergr.wixsite.com/website

Senior Member When parking your bike.... Bars to the left, or right?
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    Fork locker here. I usually keep them left 99% of the time. Angle it that way to transfer the weight towards the side stand. Only reason I go the other way if I am compensating for a uneven ground that puts more of a lean towards the centre stand in that I feel it is more stable if I lock it to the right to compensate.
    Last edited by potter0o; 22nd April 2019 at 23:33. Reason: updated to side stand

Senior Member When parking your bike.... Bars to the left, or right? SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    You all must not like your bikes very much. Or else you are trying to create more crime.

Always lock your forks by turning your Japanese bike's front wheel to the left. I know it's a tiny hassle to have to turn the key a little further and make sure it's lined up right, but when you leave a bike's steering unlocked you are contributing to that bike's eventual theft, higher insurance rates for all of us, and even if you don't care, you really think it won't be a hassle having your bike stolen? Do you really not care about your insurance rates and deductible?

I live in a high crime city, so the thought of just locking my steering would be a relief. I have to make sure I attach a disk lock to the front disk almost every time I'm away from my bike. And put the cover on it.
    I won't have my bike stolen because of something I didn't do.
    Please rethink these lax habits and help reduce theft.

Bike: SH150i, CTX700ND
    From owner's manual:

When parking your bike.... Bars to the left, or right?-parking-jpg

Senior Member When parking your bike.... Bars to the left, or right? ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverRocket View Post
    You all must not like your bikes very much. Or else you are trying to create more crime.
    My head exploded after this logic bomb entered my brain ^^^
    Last edited by ld_rider; 20th April 2019 at 05:46.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    95% of the time that I'm away from the bike, it's parked on a quiet military installation. Front wheel pointing straight ahead.

The few times I've parked it in town somewhere I *usually* lock the forks after parking it somewhere the rolling the bike away to the left would be difficult or impossible.
    I don't want a pickle.....

Bike: NC700XD. Oh, and Vespa GTS 250, and Piaggio MP3 500
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverRocket View Post

Please rethink these lax habits and help reduce theft.
    Um, yeah. Two word sentence enters my mind. First letter "F", I'll leave the rest to you.
    I like my bikes a lot, I don't "try" to create more crime, I leave that to the criminals.
    As to lax habits, well, there's another sentence coming soon to an internet site near you.

Super Moderator When parking your bike.... Bars to the left, or right? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    It seems that most bikes I’ve owned can be locked in either direction. Based on your post, I went out and tried it, and just discovered after owning f NC for almost 7 years, that it does seem to lock only when pointed left. Isn’t that something!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    I've never had a stock bike that would lock anywhere other than left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc True View Post
    Wait, can we lock the steering when it's pointed to the right? I thought it had to be pointed left. I've never tried to the right.
    So, to check my sanity on this left vs right fork angle locking capability, I went to the garage and tested a few Honda’s. My findings:

GL1800 (1st gen), locks to the left and locks to the right.
    Reflex 250 mid-size scooter, locks to the left and locks to the right.
    NC700X, locks to the left only.
    CRF250L, locks to the left only.

So I wondered why some can lock either way, and some can lock only to the left. Two thoughts:

1) The two bikes that can lock either way come standard with a center stand, whereas the two bikes that lock left-only do not come standard with a center stand.

Or

2) The two bikes that lock either direction are older than the two that lock left-only. Perhaps Honda is cutting costs (maybe half a dollar) and phasing out the right lock capability.

Either way, I lock the steering so seldom I couldn’t tell you which way to turn the bars.
    Last edited by 670cc; 21st April 2019 at 20:15. Reason: Typo
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250