Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Bike: 2014 NC700X
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    17

    Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah

    I apologize if this has already been discussed. I didn't see it mentioned in any recent threads.

    Starting on May 14th, motorcycle filtering in Utah will be legal! If my research is correct, I believe that Utah will be the second state in the country behind California to legalize filtering, although the restrictions will be greater. Here are some details:

    -Filtering can only occur on roads with posted speed limits at or below 45mph.
    -Must occur between two lanes going in the same direction.
    -Traffic must be stopped.
    -Motorcycle cannot exceed 15mph.

    Link to bill details: HB0149

    As a Utahn, I'm pumped! This law will make traveling down main street in my town on the NC much more manageable. I do expect a fair amount of road-rage to arise due to the new law, but I'm hoping for the best.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,792
    Have you noticed any effort being made to educate the general driving public on this new law?
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

    NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rapturee's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Post Falls IDAHO
    Posts
    929
    oh only if Idaho would follow suit... :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Bike: 2014 NC700X
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Have you noticed any effort being made to educate the general driving public on this new law?
    There have been a few news stories that have come out online so far. All of which have been negatively responded to based on all the comments I've read. It's a little scary to see how negatively people seem to view riders in traffic. So far the biggest concerns for the public (based on online comments) is they all believe that their vehicles are going to get scratched and damaged and that somehow more bikers will end up dying. There's also lots of "what makes bikers so special that they get to cut lines?"

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,792
    Quote Originally Posted by jtanner View Post
    There have been a few news stories that have come out online so far. All of which have been negatively responded to based on all the comments I've read. It's a little scary to see how negatively people seem to view riders in traffic. So far the biggest concerns for the public (based on online comments) is they all believe that their vehicles are going to get scratched and damaged and that somehow more bikers will end up dying. There's also lots of "what makes bikers so special that they get to cut lines?"
    I’m not surprised about the negative reactions from drivers. Motorcyclists are a very small minority, and of that small group, some behave in ways that irritate drivers and bias drivers against motorcyclists.

    You suggested in your first post that road rage could be a problem. It’s looks like filtering could be a dangerous activity unless or until the drivers accept the law. And then you’ll never know if that one hostile driver is still out there. While I would not be hostile if a motorcycle scraped my car, I would be super pissed and expect the motorcyclist to accept full liability. Imagine how a non-motorcyclist would feel about it.

    But then what do I know, since I’ve stated before that I don’t generally experience any traffic situations where filtering or splitting could be applicable?
    Last edited by 670cc; 11th April 2019 at 06:48. Reason: Added antecedent for a pronoun, for clarity.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

    NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

  6. #6
    Senior Member Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah
    Bike: SV,WR,YZ,NC
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    293
    UC Berkeley did a study a couple years ago that indicated that splitting lanes, done reasonably (I don't remember what speed/speed delta they used for "reasonably"), was safer than not. Of course, that's somewhere that people are used to it.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Bike: 2014 NC700X
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    I’m not surprised about the negative reactions from drivers. Motorcyclists are a very small minority, and of that small group, some behave in ways that irritate drivers and bias drivers against motorcyclists.

    You suggested in your first post that road rage could be a problem. It’s looks like filtering could be a dangerous activity unless or until the drivers accept the law. And then you’ll never know if that one hostile driver is still out there. While I would not be hostile if a motorcycle scraped my car, I would be super pissed and expect the motorcyclist to accept full liability. Imagine how a non-motorcyclist would feel about it.

    But then what do I know, since I’ve stated before that I don’t generally experience any traffic situations where filtering or splitting could be applicable?
    I agree that the rider should take responsibility for any damage done to cars, especially if the driver didn't deliberately try to block the bike. If a rider takes it upon them self to try and squeeze into a space that is clearly a risk, then they should be accountable for the bumps and scrapes that may happen.

    I read up on the background of the bill and found that it's based on the statistic that over 1,200 bikers were rear-ended in the state between 2011 and 2017. Naturally, many were fatalities. With most of Utah's roadways being wide and spacious, I think the filtering law will be fantastic. To be clear, I'm not planning on filtering much at all until I've "tested the waters" a bit to make sure that drivers will be compliant and respectful.

    There may be some growing pains, but surely for the better.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,792
    Quote Originally Posted by jtanner View Post
    I agree that the rider should take responsibility for any damage done to cars, especially if the driver didn't deliberately try to block the bike. If a rider takes it upon them self to try and squeeze into a space that is clearly a risk, then they should be accountable for the bumps and scrapes that may happen.

    I read up on the background of the bill and found that it's based on the statistic that over 1,200 bikers were rear-ended in the state between 2011 and 2017. Naturally, many were fatalities. With most of Utah's roadways being wide and spacious, I think the filtering law will be fantastic. To be clear, I'm not planning on filtering much at all until I've "tested the waters" a bit to make sure that drivers will be compliant and respectful.

    There may be some growing pains, but surely for the better.
    I agree that if the law reduces rear end collisions, it’s a good thing. Too bad they can’t clearly and widely announce to the four wheel driving public, or even make it a question on the license test, that the reason the motorcycles now get to go to the front of the line, is BECAUSE Y’ALL REAR ENDED ONE TOO MANY BIKES AND THIS IS HOW WE’RE GONNA DEAL WITH IT!
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

    NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

  9. #9
    Senior Member Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah New Commuter700's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Posts
    128
    Why do bikers get to cut the lines? Why do a**hats in cars get to cut the lines? Every. Single. Day. I see someone that thinks they are the only driver that matters racing up a lane that is ending to swerve back into line because they were never taught to wait their turn. Just today I saw a truck drive in the left turn lane, through a major intersection and force his way into traffic simply because he couldn't be bothered to wait his turn. Bikers get to go first because we don't sit at the front of the line trying to finish that text, slap the baby or simply zone out.


    https://tinkergr.wixsite.com/website

  10. #10
    Senior Member Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bird..
    Posts
    1,867
    I am not against it, but in Louisville, unless you have a narrow bike with no side cases, there is no way to filter or lane split-too many trucks, big SUVs and all the lanes are narrow-even the Interstate lanes are as narrow as they can legally make them (roads that use to be 2 lanes became 3 lanes by narrowing the lanes-really has happened..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Similar Threads

  1. Utah Legalizes Lane Filtering
    By admin in forum NC700 News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26th March 2019, 06:16
  2. Video: Malibu, Mulholland and Lane Filtering
    By GoRovers in forum NC700 Videos
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11th June 2018, 23:28
  3. bike passed it test.
    By johnakay in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 23rd June 2015, 09:33
  4. Just passed
    By Lozzles in forum Main Lobby / New Member Section
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12th May 2015, 09:13
  5. Lane Splitting / filtering
    By mreric in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 27th October 2014, 13:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •