Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah

Bike: 2014 NC700X
    Well, the law went into effect yesterday so I hopped on the NC and went for a ride around town to try out some filtering. While I was out I saw maybe 3 other bikes that were filtering at lights. I filtered maybe 7 or 8 times and was surprised at the lack of reaction from motorists (expecting honks and yells, etc). Obviously it was just the first day so who knows how things will really play out, but so far I'm fairly pleased. I'm already starting to develop strategies to increase safety and visibility. At one light, after filtering to the front and waiting for the green, I noticed the SUV that was at the front of the line to my left started to inch forward closer to me. I thought "oh boy, here comes the first angry driver". To my relief, I turned and saw that the driver was a 50-something-year-old guy who gave me an approving nod and a big thumbs up.

I do hope that riders throughout the state won't abuse the fresh law and mess up our opportunity to have a decent relationship with motorists. Time will tell.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by jtanner View Post
    Well, the law went into effect yesterday so I hopped on the NC and went for a ride around town to try out some filtering. While I was out I saw maybe 3 other bikes that were filtering at lights. I filtered maybe 7 or 8 times and was surprised at the lack of reaction from motorists (expecting honks and yells, etc). Obviously it was just the first day so who knows how things will really play out, but so far I'm fairly pleased. I'm already starting to develop strategies to increase safety and visibility. At one light, after filtering to the front and waiting for the green, I noticed the SUV that was at the front of the line to my left started to inch forward closer to me. I thought "oh boy, here comes the first angry driver". To my relief, I turned and saw that the driver was a 50-something-year-old guy who gave me an approving nod and a big thumbs up.

I do hope that riders throughout the state won't abuse the fresh law and mess up our opportunity to have a decent relationship with motorists. Time will tell.
    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how many motorist don't care (or don't even notice youLane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah) 99% of vehicles don't react at all but that 1% can be a problem, as long as your paying attention and riding at a sensible speed (relating to the vehicles around you) you should be fine

Senior Member Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah
    Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah

Bike: 2015 NC700X DCT, 2005 R1150R, 2011 R1200GS
    My younger brother had a slick, but impractical idea about this. He is SLC. He said he was going to fill his big aluminum panniers with ice and drinks and pass them out to drivers who were cool about the whole thing.
    >T
    I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Olythom View Post
    My younger brother had a slick, but impractical idea about this. He is SLC. He said he was going to fill his big aluminum panniers with ice and drinks and pass them out to drivers who were cool about the whole thing.
    >T
    That idea will really pick up around July, sounds a bit impractical, but I'm loving the sentiment

Bike: NC700XA-C
    Quote Originally Posted by rippin209 View Post
    That idea will really pick up around July, sounds a bit impractical, but I'm loving the sentiment
    Impractical? With the frunk, why not put a few coke's in ice - easy access at the junction, to pull one out as an unexpected gesture of friendliness :-)

... actually, I might try that...

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paulplex View Post
    Impractical? With the frunk, why not put a few coke's in ice - easy access at the junction, to pull one out as an unexpected gesture of friendliness :-)

... actually, I might try that...

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk
    You said your brother with panniers, someone riding an NC, yeah that's different.

I've watched two guys almost and one guy successfully drop their bike while parked doing the slow fall, trying as hard as he could to not drop his bike because he was turned around in the saddle reaching into his side case

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Wow Oly, my hat's off to your brother in SLC. I recently went through there and wa all too quickly reminded why i hate SLC interstate traffic. I took me 2 hours to go n/b from just south of SLC to Ogden. 5 lanes wide and everybody is at a stand still. Thanks fully it was only 76f out and not more. Did i say that i hated SLC traffic...uhmm, YA!! What a great idea though, i am so glad to hear that Utah has now approved and passed that bill allowing riders to "Filter"..... Good for you guys that live there!! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Senior Member Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah
    Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah

Bike: 2015 NC700X DCT, 2005 R1150R, 2011 R1200GS
    I recall, very clearly, the traffic problems in SLC from the 10 years that I lived there. That was a while ago so I'm sure it's gotten worse. After SLC, I lived in the north end of Seattle - another traffic nightmare. We're on the south end of Olympia and retired now so we don't have to worry much about commutes and traffic. If the traffic is bad, we just stay home or ride the other direction!

By brother rides a BMW with big aluminum panniers. I haven't seen anything like them on an NC.
    >Thom
    I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.

Bike: 700x
    oem mirrors are the same height of cars/trucks. bar ends give you more room.