Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah

  1. #11
    Member
    Bike: NC700X DCT, WR250X
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Carpinteria, CA
    Posts
    89
    Lane splitting is about the only reason I have left for staying in California. Works good, thr only people that seem to get pissed off are out of state cars that aren't familiar with it. A friend and I were moving to the front of a line of cars at a construction zone in Canada. Canadians, most friendly and polite group of people you could ask for. But pass them up on a bike and lookout! It was car doors opening and fenders cutting in, learned pretty quick not to do it there! Utahs law is a start, but being stuck on a high speed highway with stopped traffic is not good if you can't split lanes, sorry Utah you missed it.
    Last edited by Chabon; 12th April 2019 at 12:30.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Posts
    1,018
    I'm not sure about all of Canada but it is illegal in the province of BC.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah
    Bike: '14 DCT
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Loonyville, KY
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by davidc83 View Post
    I am not against it, but in Louisville, unless you have a narrow bike with no side cases, there is no way to filter or lane split-too many trucks, big SUVs and all the lanes are narrow-even the Interstate lanes are as narrow as they can legally make them (roads that use to be 2 lanes became 3 lanes by narrowing the lanes-really has happened..
    I have to disagree with you. The streets are narrow, but so are the streets in Europe. It seems to work alright there. Also, my handlebars stick out further than my panniers. Even if the lanes are narrow, you don't have to do it. If you can fit, you shouldn't split. The onus is on the rider to make that call.

    I think it would alleviate a lot of congestion, at least for me.
    "Roads are just a suggestion, like pants."

  4. #14
    Member
    Bike: NC700X DCT, WR250X
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Carpinteria, CA
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by potter0o View Post
    I'm not sure about all of Canada but it is illegal in the province of BC.
    Yup, thats where we were. A lot of times in construction zones (in more places than California) the flagger will wave the bikes up to the front so they don't have to eat dust. We got stuck behind 1/2 mile of cars and trucks in a choking cloud of dust and loose gravel. Its one thing being illegal, another thing (I would think illegal) trying to knock motorcycles over in vigilante mode! Lesson learned, next time I will stop when I get to the flagger location and wait for the next pilot car, at least will be in front!
    Last edited by Chabon; 13th April 2019 at 19:52.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabon View Post
    Yup, thats where we were. A lot of times in construction zones (in more places than California) the flagger will wave the bikes up to the front so they don't have to eat dust. We got stuck behind 1/2 mile of cars and trucks in a choking cloud of dust and loose gravel. Its one thing being illegal, another thing (I would think illegal) trying to knock motorcycles over in vigilante mode! Lesson learned, next time I will stop when I get to the flagger location and wait for the next pilot car, at least will be in front!
    The vigilante mode is uncalled for. My understanding on the rational is that the motorcycle is a classed as a motor vehicle and must comply with those laws. Other motor vehicles are not permitted to split lanes or drive on the shoulder and motorcycles are bundled up in it.

    That being said...driving over the posted speed limit is illegal. The consequence of getting caught would be a ticket. I have been known from time to time to exceed the speed limit knowing the potential consequences of my actions. I have also in grid lock on a congested highway slowly passed cars on the shoulder to get out of the the situation. I'm not advocating this but I did it knowing that I was off side and getting caught would lead to a penalty. We are adults and sometimes we use the wrong coloured crayons on purpose

  6. #16
    Senior Member Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bird..
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc True View Post
    I have to disagree with you. The streets are narrow, but so are the streets in Europe. It seems to work alright there. Also, my handlebars stick out further than my panniers. Even if the lanes are narrow, you don't have to do it. If you can fit, you shouldn't split. The onus is on the rider to make that call.

    I think it would alleviate a lot of congestion, at least for me.
    You are braver than I am in this city-heck, they try to kill me everyday I ride on the Interstate-cutting over, weaving, barely missing front fender...my work hours are such I miss most of morning and evening rush hour so the 1 time every 2-3 weeks I get stuck in traffic due to accidents/knuckleheads on the interstate is ok, and I dont work, drive, or shop in downtown (except for the 550am crossing of 2nd street bridge-and I cut over to I-65 as soon as possible), so I dont have to mess with that traffic either. I have no objections to it or other riders doing it; just isnt for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #17
    Senior Member Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah
    Bike: SV,NC,berg 570s
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    380
    Yeah, vigilantism generally isn't justified for traffic violations.

    If I'm doing the speed limit on the freeway, and someone is passing me, I don't get to ram them off the road. I don't think I've ever seen that suggested either.

    Ramming riders splitting lanes is certainly something I've seen suggested, though.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah
    Bike: '14 DCT
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Loonyville, KY
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by davidc83 View Post
    You are braver than I am in this city-heck, they try to kill me everyday I ride on the Interstate-cutting over, weaving, barely missing front fender...my work hours are such I miss most of morning and evening rush hour so the 1 time every 2-3 weeks I get stuck in traffic due to accidents/knuckleheads on the interstate is ok, and I dont work, drive, or shop in downtown (except for the 550am crossing of 2nd street bridge-and I cut over to I-65 as soon as possible), so I dont have to mess with that traffic either. I have no objections to it or other riders doing it; just isnt for me.
    I've never lived in an area that allows lane sharing, but it seems that the only time it would be needed is when traffic is either stopped or moving very slowly. In those instances, even with the narrow lanes, and in "Hospital Curve", it seems as though it would be safe. If traffic is moving at a decent pace (>or=speed limit) I can't see that splitting would be either necessary or advantageous anyway.
    "Roads are just a suggestion, like pants."

  9. #19
    Senior Member Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah
    Bike: 2014 NC700 dct
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Placentia, CA. So CA
    Posts
    827
    i have been lane splitting in CA for 10 years now, it is almost the reason i have a motorcycle, i commute everyday to work. if I drive it takes me 1hr to get to work, if i split lane in the motorcycle i get there is 20-25 min.

    it would really help traffic if more people were to ride.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah Afan's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X DCT
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc True View Post
    I've never lived in an area that allows lane sharing, but it seems that the only time it would be needed is when traffic is either stopped or moving very slowly. In those instances, even with the narrow lanes, and in "Hospital Curve", it seems as though it would be safe. If traffic is moving at a decent pace (>or=speed limit) I can't see that splitting would be either necessary or advantageous anyway.
    Totally agree
    Instead million dollars, give me million miles!

Similar Threads

  1. Utah Legalizes Lane Filtering
    By admin in forum NC700 News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26th March 2019, 06:16
  2. Video: Malibu, Mulholland and Lane Filtering
    By GoRovers in forum NC700 Videos
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11th June 2018, 23:28
  3. bike passed it test.
    By johnakay in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 23rd June 2015, 09:33
  4. Just passed
    By Lozzles in forum Main Lobby / New Member Section
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12th May 2015, 09:13
  5. Lane Splitting / filtering
    By mreric in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 27th October 2014, 13:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •