Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suspension too hard on modern motorcycles.

Bike: NC700X
    Okay, the suspension on your KTM was a steaming pile of crap. Got that in your first post. My actual, first hand experience with 21st Century bikes are the Honda NC, Yamaha FJ-09 & BMW R1200GS. The Honda is passable under a limited number of road conditions and if it doesn't work for you, then parts have to be changed. The Yam & BMW both have adjustable suspensions. The Yam require manual adjustments and the BMW with button pushes. For my riding, weight & luggage I got comparable results adjusting both bikes suspensions.

The quality of suspensions, like most everything else, will vary by personal taste, make, model & cost.

Bike: Honda
    The NC700 shocks are way too firm. I came from a 2003 BMW K1200GT and that bike had the best suspension of any bike I have had. I can deal with the stiff suspension on shorter trips (less than a 100 miles) but my recent 1,600 miles in 5 days beat the crap out of me. My next trip of this length will not be on the NC. I would like to pickup a 2017 VFR1200X or an Africa Twin for my next trip but i may have to get a divorce first.

Bike: CBR250 NC700X CBR500R
    I have owned a lot of Honda's with dampimg tube forks, and all were better than the NC700. I recently changed a fork bushing, and noticed there were only 2 damping holes in the tube. Most other forks of this type have 4 or more. I tried drilling the existing holes a bit larger, but it had no noticeable affect. So I drilled 2 more holes in the tube, 3/4" up and 180 degrees to the existing holes. I was thinking about the springs, and the soft progressive coils they have. Maybe the wheel was moving up too fast on sharp edged bumps, and and getting into the high speed damping. So I got some Sonic straight rate springs. I added a pair of pre load adjusters I had sitting around and installed them. I finished with some Lucas 10wt. synthetic fork oil from O'Reilly's.
    Cost about $110 and works a lot better than stock.
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...fork+oil&pos=1

Senior Member Suspension too hard on modern motorcycles. dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    The $180 on Cogent cartridge fork emulators and $600 on their Ohlins-based shock I spent transformed the handling and comfort. I did the Cogent fork upgrade on the 2012 and ordered the Cogent stuff before the 2015 had 100 miles on it.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: CBR250 NC700X CBR500R
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    The $180 on Cogent cartridge fork emulators and $600 on their Ohlins-based shock I spent transformed the handling and comfort. I did the Cogent fork upgrade on the 2012 and ordered the Cogent stuff before the 2015 had 100 miles on it.
    Sounds like money well spent. Smart to do it when you first get a bike rather than waiting. Mines a 2012 and a little late in it's life to throw big dollars at it. Lousy suspension aside, it is still a heck of a good motorcycle.
    When I get to the point where mine starts having problems, I will buy another one.

Bike: '13 NC700XD
    I was reading the original post and I was thinking to myself. The guy just needs an africa twin. Low and behold he mentioned the AT is plush. I got rid of my AT as I thought it was too plush and too off-road oriented for my riding and just modified my NC with cogent parts and it's been much better. I will say potholes were better on the AT