Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Offering new riders advice

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
    I feel I have a responsibility to educate new riders.
    Really? What motorcycle safety training credentials do you have? If you don't, and you want to educate new riders, then you take a course and get certified for teaching motorcycle safety. Right now you're just a boundary challenged busy body.

Bike: 2015 NC700S
    I was told by multiple strangers, and people i know I should wear more gear. I usually wore gloves and helmet and street cloths. Took over 30k miles before I decided it was time to start buy gear and atgatt.
    -2015 NC700X
    -Storm Bark Busters
    -Danmoto exhaust
    -Givi crash bars
    -MMOTO fully welded luggage rack
    -Dales seat rack
    -Corbin seat

Bike: 750 XD, FLHTC, Can Am RT
    I will admit that I don't go full bore atgatt in mid summer. But the riding with a passenger thing I have very strict rules.

With 52 years riding and 35 years with the same passenger, I still won't ride with my wife when I get a new bike until I have a thousand miles on it. Our first date was on a motorcycle and I knew right then that she knew how to ride as a passenger. Still each bike handles differently and until it is pure second nature with solid instinctive feel I don't ride two up.

That's my personal firm riding rule for two up. My wife and I have many cross country tours under our butts and it's worked very well.

Senior Member Offering new riders advice StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    Quote Originally Posted by b_rubenstein View Post
    Really? What motorcycle safety training credentials do you have? If you don't, and you want to educate new riders, then you take a course and get certified for teaching motorcycle safety. Right now you're just a boundary challenged busy body.
    Good advice is useful no matter who it comes from...certified or not.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
    Good advice is useful no matter who it comes from...certified or not.
    Without some certification a new rider has no way of knowing if the advice is good, or whacked out personal opinions. It's a face to face version of an Internet forum; some people actually know something, but most are just regurgitating something they only partially understand. Generally the information is simply useless, but sometimes it's downright dangerous. Who knows where eastencoyote's opinions lie. Personally, I'm deeply suspicious of anyone who feels obliged to go up to complete strangers and spread their personal gospel.

Senior Member Offering new riders advice ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
    I feel I have a responsibility to educate new riders.
    I'm pretty sure your doctor has pills for that ;-)

Seriously, lectures don't work. My educated guess is that any licensed rider ALREADY knows that riding with gear is better than riding without gear. Your pointing it out was just a thinly veiled declaration that you don't "approve" of their choices. Some riders might let you know that in no uncertain terms.

Remember this: It is their choice, not yours as to what/how they ride.

If on the other hand you are actually interested in helping a new rider, I would talk about things that aren't as obvious as ATGATT. To wit: Riding in the rain, riding in heavy traffic, Riding at night. Dealing with decreasing radius turns. Stuff that would actually inform and not judge.
    Last edited by ld_rider; 13th September 2018 at 10:52.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: Drz 400; nc700x dct
    Many people are mostly influenced by example, rather than research or training or even experience.
    Seeing others in gear is the best lesson.
    https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nc700x_dct_abs/2015/oklahomahank/621000]

Bike: MANY
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Many people are mostly influenced by example, rather than research or training or even experience.
    Seeing others in gear is the best lesson.
    Most definitely. I get asked all the time about my Aerostich. Isn't that hot in summer? Yes, but I had a getoff once in denim that didn't turn out well..... And then you can talk safety preferences. Certifications, degrees, etc are all good, but unless you're wearing a MSF instructor's patch it is as Hank says: lead by example and show me. Same as on the forum when folks are giving advice.

Senior Member Offering new riders advice ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    I'm with you on that...But, I would substitute the words "the herd" rather than "example". To wit:

I've noticed that if the herd you ride with looks like a casting call for Pirates of the Carribean III....you will tend to look like well, a Pirate ;-)

If the herd you generally ride with looks like a squad of Power Rangers well, you get the idea ;-)

When riding charity events that the local watering hole puts on, I am generally one of few dudes in that herd wearing serious gear and a helmet.

When I'm riding with experienced long distance riders everyone in that herd is generally ATGATT....

Different strokes for different herds ;-)

Regardless, I believe riders are making conscious choices when it comes to riding gear, and those choices aren't due to a lack of knowledge. Their riding habits is a different matter altogether. Those choices very well might be due to lack of riding experience or knowledge and that is where an experienced and safe rider might be able offer advice if asked.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: NC700XD. Oh, and Vespa GTS 250, and Piaggio MP3 500
    Quote Originally Posted by b_rubenstein View Post
    Without some certification a new rider has no way of knowing if the advice is good, or whacked out personal opinions. It's a face to face version of an Internet forum; some people actually know something, but most are just regurgitating something they only partially understand. Generally the information is simply useless, but sometimes it's downright dangerous. Who knows where eastencoyote's opinions lie. Personally, I'm deeply suspicious of anyone who feels obliged to go up to complete strangers and spread their personal gospel.
    Perfect example of 'some folks just want a fight'.