Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just a minor dilemma...

Bike: DCT
    "With the DCT I'm always waiting for that downshift-grab...and I hate that. I've taken it through some twisties and that downshift grab get's me off my game, so to speak. I know I can switch to manual but, again, there's no clutch-feathering."

1. Just twist the throttle! or hit the thumb button.
    There is no waiting for downshifts.

Bike: NC700X
    Like DCTFAN I have no problem with either the DCT or the manual. I do like both. I also like feathering the clutch, but over time I have learned to use the DCT's throttle control much like feathering the clutch. I get about 40 to 50 thousand miles on any manual shift clutch plates on any motorcycle , before I have to change the clutch plates. I have not put 50,000 miles on a DCT motorcycle, YET.... However for some reason, I do fell that the design of the DCT clutch will make the plates last longer than the manual shift clutch plates....
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Bike: CTX700
    Was going to the dealer to take a shot at a 2016 V-strom in trade towards my NC700. I had that deal going (as mentioned previously) with the Honda dealership for a NOS 2014 NC manual. But, like when I bought my CTX, I wanted to give the "Other guys" a chance.
    I didn't think I'd wind up with one of these:

2018 Kawasaki Versys 650!!!

The same guy who sold me my CTX, who is now a sales manager, came out, walked me through some numbers and he beat Honda (as far as what I was looking for)!!!

After my trade in I had to pay $4900. I know, someone could have gotten a better deal but I am happy and that's all that matters to me! The thing is, I didn't even think I could get the V-strom for the $$$ I was willing to throw down. The Versys was out of the question as it was MORE than the V-strom. Turns out, Kyle worked better numbers for the Versys and, arguably, I rode home on a better motorcycle!

Senior Member Just a minor dilemma... GgarryP's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700X
    I think you solved your dillemma. Congratulations!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Garry

Two wheels and keels

Bike: NC750XD
    The Versys is a great bike, and recent models are good looking too. I still prefer my 750 XD for daily commute (for DCT and practicality) but for fun the Versys sure beats the NC (I don't care as I am lucky to have a fun bike along the NC).

Senior Member Just a minor dilemma...
    Just a minor dilemma...
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT
    That’s a sharp looking bike and one with a solid reputation. Hope you have a LOT of (s)miles with it!

It isn’t what you ride - just that you RIDE

Senior Member Just a minor dilemma... dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Life's too short to ride the wrong motorcycle. Enjoy your new ride.
    Dave

ST1300
    NC700XD
    GL1800

Bike: 2013 Super Tenere, 2006 Husky 610
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    The Super Tenere does seem like a great choice.
    Shaft drive, cruise control, comfortable.
    I wonder if they are about to update it.
    The S10 is awesome.
    The suspension alone is so much better than the NC.
    I loved my NC, but you have to love it for what it is, a great commuter bike that is wearing the partial costume of a adv/touring bike.
    The NC is a great bike, I'm in no way bagging on it, but the S10 (especially a used one for $7Kish price) is such a different level, even the stock seating position of teh S10 is leaps above the NC. Even with lowered pegs, a SC seat, bar risers and grip puppies, I could only do 2 hours on the NC without a rest, I can do 5+ on the S10 no issues.
    Just a minor dilemma...-1-jpg
    ”Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.”

Senior Member Just a minor dilemma... dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
    The S10 is awesome.
    The suspension alone is so much better than the NC.
    I loved my NC, but you have to love it for what it is, a great commuter bike that is wearing the partial costume of a adv/touring bike.
    The NC is a great bike, I'm in no way bagging on it, but the S10 (especially a used one for $7Kish price) is such a different level, even the stock seating position of teh S10 is leaps above the NC. Even with lowered pegs, a SC seat, bar risers and grip puppies, I could only do 2 hours on the NC without a rest, I can do 5+ on the S10 no issues.
    Just a minor dilemma...-1-jpg
    I am certain the Yamaha ST is a lot more bike than the NC but if seat time is a marker of comfort or touring ability then I find riding tank-to-tank-to-tank no problem on the NC. On my first NC I did a 18 hour 1000 mile ride then a 1000 in 17 hours followed by 550 miles the next day to score a Bun Burner 1500 on the stock seat and bars .On the DCT I attempted a Bun Burner Gold, 1500 miles in 24 hours, making about 800 miles in 11 hours before a blocked interstate shut down my effort. Even then I turned off the slab and moseyed home doing 1080 miles to score another NC700X Saddlesore 1000, 1000 miles in 24 or less. This bike has suspension mods, a Sargent, and risers.
    Dave

ST1300
    NC700XD
    GL1800