Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie Mistake, Hello Ground

Bike: 2013 NC700XD, 1987 XL600R

Rookie Mistake, Hello Ground

This past Saturday I made a "Rookie Mistake" after having a new tire put on the rear of NaNCy. Normally the guy at the front counter at my favorite Honda Dealer would remind me to take it easy for the first 50 miles after getting a new tire put on. A new guy is now and he did not mentioned it to put it into my mind before leaving.

I got 2 blocks away and made a right turn and wanted to get around quickly to for the guy waiting to cross the street. Almost after or midway in the turn the rear wheel washed out and I went down. After I came to at stop, I stood up immediately and then proceeded to put up NaNCy off the ground and to the curb out of traffic. A lot of people asked if I was alright, me trying to catch my breath stating give me a moment to catch my breath. Both the bike and I faired pretty well concidering the circumstances.

Once I got myself collected and then I looked at setting NaNCy's condition to her road worthy again. I adjusted the Barkbuster on the left that slammed into the left painted scoop piece, which it had slammed into and wedges itself there. I straightened everything out enough to ride on my to the next destination.

Here are the damages:

Rookie Mistake, Hello Ground-img_8888[1]-jpg

Rookie Mistake, Hello Ground-img_8889[1]-jpg

Rookie Mistake, Hello Ground-img_8890[1]-jpg

Rookie Mistake, Hello Ground-img_8891[1]-jpg

Rookie Mistake, Hello Ground-img_8892[1]-jpg

I am sure what little you see is well over a $1,00 in damages, there's a lot of broken plastic parts internally. I have straightened out all the parts/items that I will not be replacing and made the necessary repairs to those items. I am sure that I will be spending about $400-500 for only the necessary parts to put NaNCy back into presentable condition and do all the replacement myself.

My body is a bit sore and stiff cause this all. I know how to take a fall without sustaining any major injuries. I think that my right hand slammed into something or the road when I hit the ground. The index knuckle looks bruised and the surrounding area is swollen.

Please remember to take it easy on a new tire. Also reminder your local dealer to remind their customers too. Otherwise, they may do what I ended up doing.
    Last edited by Brillot2000; 4th December 2017 at 11:34. Reason: Grammer
    Bruce B.
    Sun Valley, CA, U.S.A.
    2013 NC700XD (DCT) - NaNCy
    1987 XL600R - Megas
    2010 NT700V - NaTalie

Bike: NC750XD
    Been there, new rear tire, rain, perfect combination...

Hope you get yourself and the bike up and running again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jos View Post
    Hope you get yourself and the bike up and running again soon.
    Both NaNCy and I are resilient. We were both able to get up and ride away. That has a lot to say about us both.

My ego has been bruised and that will take the most time to mend...
    Bruce B.
    Sun Valley, CA, U.S.A.
    1987 XL600R - Megas
    2010 NT700V - NaTalie

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Brillot2000 View Post
    Both NaNCy and I are resilient. We were both able to get up and ride away. That has a lot to say about us both.

My ego has been bruised and that will take the most time to mend...
    After taking a blow to the ego (and wallet) it's nice of you to use the situation to educate or re-educate the rest of us here.
    Thanks for the reminder I'll be getting a new front tire in a week or two and I'll remember this.
    Glad to hear you and Nancy didn't get hurt any worse then you did.

Bike: NC700XD for the Missus; Kawasaki ZX1100E and GL18 for me
    Glad to hear you're allright.

Quote Originally Posted by WPZ View Post
    Glad to hear you're allright.
    I rode NaTalie to work today and the rest of the week.

Rookie Mistake, Hello Ground-img_8893-jpg

I will sort out the details and what I need to order for NaNCy later on this week.

It takes more than that to get this old biker down and off the saddle.
    Bruce B.
    Sun Valley, CA, U.S.A.
    1987 XL600R - Megas
    2010 NT700V - NaTalie

Super Moderator Rookie Mistake, Hello Ground 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, Ruckus 50, KLX140L
    Glad to hear that you are alright. The bike looks repairable. (For some odd reason, though, that duct cover is one of the more expensive body panels on the NC). Like you said, too, the ego takes a big hit.

Out of curiousity and for the sake of the possible safety of other riders, what brand and model of tire was installed? I wonder if certain tires have more tendency to be slick when new than others.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Bike: 2014 NC700X
    Anytime I get a new rear tire, I hold the front brake and rev the motor and slowly pop the clutch and do a small burnout for about 7 seconds... Burns the tire right in, Wiggle the *** end around a bit and your good to go. Also riding on gravel or sand helps a lot...
    ”Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.”

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Glad to hear that you are alright. The bike looks repairable. (For some odd reason, though, that duct cover is one of the more expensive body panels on the NC). Like you said, too, the ego takes a big hit.

Out of curiousity and for the sake of the possible safety of other riders, what brand and model of tire was installed? I wonder if certain tires have more tendency to be slick when new than others.
    Thank you for your concern for my well being.

All this damage is totally repairable with all the right replacement parts. I used my heat gun to heat up the front cowl below the impact site pop it back into shape. Some of the plastic mountings broke off there too, however, they are not as critical as the compartment bucket mounting point.

Actually the front cowl it attaches to retails for over $300 and also received some damages. That duct piece retails for over $200. I found it for $168 at Dillion Brother's Honda in Nebraska. I will be replacing this piece and cargo compartment piece as the mounting tab broke clear off it.

Again this was not the tire's fault, it as a Rookie Mistake on my part. The tire was a Bridgestone T30 if inquiring minds must know.

All tires have a preserving oil sprayed on them. Normally the dealership or shop will warn you before you leave there. This was overlooked and I was not thinking about it.
    Bruce B.
    Sun Valley, CA, U.S.A.
    1987 XL600R - Megas
    2010 NT700V - NaTalie

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
    Anytime I get a new rear tire, I hold the front brake and rev the motor and slowly pop the clutch and do a small burnout for about 7 seconds... Burns the tire right in, Wiggle the *** end around a bit and your good to go. Also riding on gravel or sand helps a lot...
    That will scrub in the center of the tire, but doesn't do much when leaned over cornering.

FWIW, with the amount of scraping on the Barkbusters, it's almost certain that the front fork is tweaked. The tubes probably aren't bent, but they are twisted in the trees. The way to check it is to lay a flat plate across the tubes and see if it can be rocked. If it can, then the pinch bolts have to be loosened and the fork twisted back into position.