Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Covering License Plates in pics...

Bike: 2013 Super Tenere, 2006 Husky 610

Covering License Plates in pics...

Anyone else laugh when you see people covering their license plates in pictures?

All day long everyone drives around and parks with the plate exposed, but put a pic online and it's a no go.

Personally if someone wanted to be shady, it would probably be on the street than a website with mostly like minded individuals,

But also... what can anyone do with your plate number? Getting a duplicate is a lot more complicated than just having the number...

Making a plate.. well that would be amazing, but I'm sure if they did something wrong, the fake plate would be discovered....

MAYBE make a fake plate to fly past traffic cams, but again, I could just sit out by a stop light and write down motorcycle plates all day... so....

Don't know why but this cracks me up every time.

I may be a bit "Special" tho...
    Last edited by SleepyC; 6th June 2017 at 13:04.
    ”Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.”

Super Moderator Covering License Plates in pics... 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    We had a discussion about this a few years back but I still don't understand the logic behind it. Like you, I can read license plates all day long, correlate them with the vehicle model and color, and usually note what dealer it was purchased from.
    Last edited by 670cc; 6th June 2017 at 12:37.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    In photos I usually do a treatment on mine, out of whimsy more than anything else.

Last edited by greenboy; 6th June 2017 at 17:14.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/albums

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700X DCT (Black)
    The interwebz strike again.

It is akin to the dolts we have in the office who put postit notes over their cameras on their laptops. The lights are hardwired to the camera's power, so if the camera is on, so is the light.

One of those geniuses actually asked me how to rewind a DVD... She still opens and closes the tray.
    https://raven.deckyon.com

Kentuckiana NC Forum Group:
    https://nc700-forum.com/forum/groups/kentuckiana-ncs.html

NC700 Reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NC700x

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Similar topic pops up often on other forums........VIN numbers. Hide them, publish them in ads ?????
    Selling a vehicle on any of the many internet platforms or even print ads. Potential buyers call up or emails and requests the VIN.
    One obvious reason buyer is running CARFAX or other tracking services to see the vehicle history before they waste time on a visit. Especially dealers canvassing for potential vehicles to flip.

Same discussion on plate number occurs on the VIN. While the VIN can be viewed on every car or truck by looking through the windshield. On a motorcycle by looking at the frame tag. Not quite as easy as reading plates on the street, but a simple stroll at Walmart could yields 100's if not 1000's of vin numbers.

No sure what the secrets or concerns are ???????

Bike: Drz 400; nc700x dct
    In the United States police generally cannot issue citations unless they see the offense.
    However, there are many places this is not true and people have received summonses in the mail from police watching YouTube videos.
    In addition, some people have privacy concerns.
    https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nc700x_dct_abs/2015/oklahomahank/621000]

Senior Member Covering License Plates in pics... ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
    Anyone else laugh when you see people covering their license plates in pictures?
    I do it all the time and I'm not laughing....this is SERIOUS business my friend!

Why do I do it?

Because if you can read my license plate you can practically read my soul.....or something.

What if you see the plate number for my 2002 Ford Taurus wagon that I'm selling on CL for $1200 (OBO)?

First of all, someone might look up the plate number on the World Wide Web and find out out were I live. Next thing you know, they show up to my house AND STEAL MY BELOVED TAURUS! I saw this on TV so I know it can happen.

So, as you can see there are some VERY GOOD reasons to cover your license plate. If I don't have blue painters tape handy I just stick the thumb on my left hand into the foreground so it expertly covers the plate (and looks quite artistic I might add) while I frame the picture of my Taurus.

And that ain't no Bull! <rimshot>

Thank-you, thank-you very much........I'll be here all week...Try the veal ;-)
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    people have received summonses in the mail from police watching YouTube videos.
    Another great reason to cover your plate with blue painters tape! Or, do what I do and add a few "enhancements" to your orginial plate such as closing the "C" to make it an "O" which will fool many of the YouTube Police (YTP). Make sure it is done in a similar color!

Next time you are heading out for a little fun, and the word "felony" comes up, covering the plate would be a great idea and help keep the YTP in the dark as to who those nefarious rascals actually were!
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: 2013 Super Tenere, 2006 Husky 610
    Quote Originally Posted by ld_rider View Post
    I just stick the thumb on my left hand into the foreground so it expertly covers the plate (and looks quite artistic I might add) while I frame the picture
    And that ain't no Bull! <rimshot>

Thank-you, thank-you very much........I'll be here all week...Try the veal ;-)

One of yours?

Covering License Plates in pics...-screen-shot-2017-06-06-8-37-35-pm-jpg
    ”Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.”

I know that guy!!

Was hoping to steal that bike but couldn't since he so expertly covered the plate. Dang!

I mean, I really, REALLY wanted that bike but couldn't for the life of me figure out a way to grab it due to his security measures (thumb in photo).

Lucky for me (unlucky for him) my 9 year old niece came up with a pretty slick plan: "Why not email him and ask to see it?"

I did that, and lo and behold, he gave me his phone number, name, and where to go and meet to look at the bike!!!

I think my niece is going to be FBI material when she gets older....she is soooo wicked smart!
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540