Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: would u pay $1000 to avoid a skinned knee??

Bike: 700x

would u pay $1000 to avoid a skinned knee??

was thinking of buying some cool riding pants till I saw some prices OMG! I think I'll take a skinned knee thank you.

Super Moderator would u pay 00 to avoid a skinned knee?? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    I probably wouldn’t pay $1000 because there are good pants available for a lot less than that.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    $1000, no, I would not.

But 'road rash' is often a lot worse than a skinned knee. I've seen more than a few emergency room photos of riders who had their clothes shredded and those guys were likely in pain for a month or more. Skin grafting is a serious issue and its often required. So not quite a 'skinned knee'. That said, here is what I have:

I have a pair of Oxford/Bull-it riding cargo/tactical motorcycle pants that came from Revzilla with a price tag of $94 + $20(?) for the optional knee pads. Got the pants on Close-Out. Regular price was under $200. Knee armor does not protect the knees! Not really happy with that fact, but at least they will protect my legs from road rash; they are supposed to have a wear-through of about 6 seconds while sliding on asphalt, which is similar to leather.

I've also got a pair of high quality Rev'it motorcycle pants. Those were up in the $350 range and are supremely comfortable and the various protective pads fit in exactly the correct places, but I look sort of like an alien wearing them with their vented mesh panels, armor, and multitude of zippers and reflective patches Again, protective against an asphalt slide, etc.

Looking at buying a new pair of Klim cargo style motorcycle pants, those are running mid-$200s.

But for $1000, I would rather have 3 or 4 pairs in my closet to choose from rather than 1 pair of super expensive pants. Unless, of course, there was some specific reason, like race wear with extra protective requirements? But for normal riding or even touring, nope.
    Last edited by melensdad; 11th September 2019 at 04:58.

Senior Member would u pay 00 to avoid a skinned knee??would u pay 00 to avoid a skinned knee?? kpinvt's Avatar
    Bike: !RED! 2014 NC700XD - The Best Bike Ever
    I think I paid around $100 for the first used suit, a Joe Rocket two-piece, I bought on Ebay 14 years ago. I am one happy camper I had the armored pants on when I crashed my first bike due to target fixation in a sharp corner. My knee was bruised, not shredded by the fall. When you think about whether or not to ATGATT think about what is entailed in cleaning the road dirt out of an open wound. I wear used Aerostich Roadcrafters found on Ebay.
    Google - 39 Main St, Proctor VT in street view - to see the too big for me one-piece suit size 46 Regular I wore for 9 years. I now own a two-piece I found a couple of years ago in my size at 44 Short for $369. It only took two years to find it. I've worn Oxtar, now TCX Gore-Tex Matrix boots since I started riding. I'm on my second pair I found on Ebay used for $60.
    Last edited by kpinvt; 11th September 2019 at 06:58.

Senior Member would u pay 00 to avoid a skinned knee??
    Bike: SV,NC,berg 570s
    What riding pants are you looking at that're *that* expensive? I've gotten pretty good full gear for well under that.
    12 NC700X
    11 FE570
    11 FS570
    15 450/520XCF SM

Bike: 700x
    touratech companero's are only $1095. It looks like almost every high end brand has pants that come close to if not over $1000. I applaud those who buy them, but Im gonna have to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by kalifornia View Post
    touratech companero's are only $1095. It looks like almost every high end brand has pants that come close to if not over $1000. I applaud those who buy them, but Im gonna have to pass.
    I know I've seen several priced in that range. Rukka, Klim, Dianese, Rev'it and a couple other brands too. Most of those things are specialized gear for long distance off road or long distance road tours. Think round the world trips or other long distance adventures.

Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    There are lots of very good, highly abrasion resistant pants out there for well under $1,000.

Even at a grand, compare that to your out of pocket costs for ED, doc, skin graft, and any time out of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    There are lots of very good, highly abrasion resistant pants out there for well under $1,000.

Even at a grand, compare that to your out of pocket costs for ED, doc, skin graft, and any time out of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think about helmets the same way and yet most people either ride with NO helmet, or ride with a cheap helmet that is little more than a fashion excessory.

Yet real helmets actually saves lives.

While fancy pants, like we are talking about in this thread, generally just save skin, pain, and expense.
    Last edited by melensdad; 11th September 2019 at 12:35.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Look some more, you can find riding pants a whole lot cheaper than that....My full 1 piece leather track suit was only $600 brand new....

Also, here's a scenario for you. When I crashed my bike on the interstate back in 2010, I was wearing tennis shoes, jeans, leather armored jacket, thin gloves, and Icon DOT rated helmet. I had zero upper body injuries, small cuts on my hands where the gloves ripped, and both legs were broke completely into about 6 inches above the ankle. One was able to be saved, but required lots of hardware, a bone graft, and 8.5 months of not bearing weight on it. The other one ended up being amputated below the knee, then amputated again a few days later as infection set up. I spent 8.5 months in a wheel chair then began to start walking again. Once I got my prosthesis, my leg muscles were so weak, I could not even hold my own body weight up (then about 150 lbs). Took a couple months of hard work and rehab to get back on my feet. 11 months after the date of my wreck, I returned to work and it wasn't easy.

I 100% believe if I had've been wearing a full leather suit, my race boots, and my race gloves - all of which I owned at that time, as I was doing track days then, I probably would have been able to walk away from that accident.....or at the least, just been banged up a little. But instead it costed me all the above. Now, I still ride in the same kind of gear if on the NC (most the time), jeans, jacket, tennis shoes or work boots. Why? Because it's practical to be able to shed off a jacket, be wearing minimally invasive jeans and shoes so I can walk around in comfort when I make stops out on the road. Or that I'm riding to work and just ride in my work clothes underneath my jacket. One exception now is that I wear my suit when I ride with my fast Ducati buddy because we ride extremely aggressive on the street and I don't want to take chances. And actually, the suit is much more comfortable to ride in long distance on my arse. If I had any sense at all, I would wear full gear every time I get on a bike, because of what could happen if I crash. But I don't. When I ride my bagger in warm weather, I go as minimal as jeans, shirt, and half helmet only. One that's not even DOT approved, at that.

It's extremely subjective. I talked with a guy not long ago trying to decide on leather vs. mesh jacket. I told him what I've typed here, and he opted for the mesh jacket for summer riding. What good is a more protective leather jacket if you only plan to cover the lower half of your body minimally. Truth be told, jeans aren't that much more protective than a pair of shorts. And it never will matter until it's too late. So, all in all, you must decide with what level of risk you are comfortable with and wear gear accordingly.
    Last edited by TacomaJD; 11th September 2019 at 12:46.