Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Black or White?

Member Black or White? Dellaster's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 KLX250S, 2013 F700GS
    And to make it on topic: yes, it’s white. This is after picking up my Pinlock insert from the delivery room and I put it in right afterwards. No more foggy face shield! A HUGE safety feature, IMO.

Last edited by Dellaster; 3rd October 2019 at 12:00. Reason: Better pic
    óTed

Bike: Drz 400; nc700x dct
    I don’t think a definitive study has been done on high viz, but one concluded the best combination was a high viz jacket and a white helmet.
    https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nc700x_dct_abs/2015/oklahomahank/621000]

Senior Member Black or White?
    Black or White?
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    The only “definitive study” that makes any sense to me is my own experience. Rode for decades with varying degrees of “invisibility” associated with my relative lack of visibility. Close calls became a riding “norm”. And I was never what anyone would call aggressive or inattentive. Ten years ago prior to a long trip I upgraded my riding gear and in doing so went with hi-vis. I can say without any hesitation or doubt that the difference really has been like night and day (or black and white in keeping with the theme here).

Close calls over the last ten years have been a rarity. An honest to goodness rarity. And most of that riding was in exactly the same conditions as say the ten years before I made the switch.

YMMV. I will swear by it. Whether it’s white, yellow, orange, or flashing lights with a beanie on the helmet. As long as it helps you be seen just a wee bit better than before and just enough to give that opposing driver pause, it’s all that matters. And could be what saves my life.

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    The only ďdefinitive studyĒ that makes any sense to me is my own experience.

YMMV. I will swear by it. Whether itís white, yellow, orange, or flashing lights with a beanie on the helmet. As long as it helps you be seen just a wee bit better than before and just enough to give that opposing driver pause, itís all that matters. And could be what saves my life.
    I have a similar experience but with 4 wheel vehicles.

In the 'old days' I had regular license plates and/or license plate frames. I got rear ended several times at stop lights. This happened as recently as 2 years ago. Always in a car/pickup/suv that had a regular license plate or no-logo license plate frame.

However, on vehicles where I either have a state issued N.R.A. license plate, or I have an N.R.A. Life Member license plate frame, I've never been rear ended at an intersection.

YMMV

Senior Member Black or White?
    Black or White?
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    I have a similar experience but with 4 wheel vehicles.

In the 'old days' I had regular license plates and/or license plate frames. I got rear ended several times at stop lights. This happened as recently as 2 years ago. Always in a car/pickup/suv that had a regular license plate or no-logo license plate frame.

However, on vehicles where I either have a state issued N.R.A. license plate, or I have an N.R.A. Life Member license plate frame, I've never been rear ended at an intersection.

YMMV
    There’s a message there... mine says “MAKE MY DAY”. Seems to have a similar affect; no one gets toooo close...

And I like it that way.

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

A good day for black & white (silver) gear for me, it seems.

First I ran across a clearance First Gear Rainier jacket for $150 (70% off, medium only) at J&P Cycles. 37.5 waterproofing? D30 Level 2 in elbow, shoulders; Level 1 in back? Okay, Iíll take it. There are/were still more left in medium if anyone is interested.

Second, I was browsing Amazon for waterproof overpants that would match. First Gear Kathmandu size 32 would work, unsurprisingly. $146?! Wait, itís around $300 in the other sizes, the usual retail price... hm, same thing, shipped and sold by Amazon itself, only one left. Okay, if you insist Iíll go ahead and get it half off. The price for size 32 from ďother sellersĒ instantly jumped to $300 on that page. Sorry to get the last one, other shoppers.

So today I spent $300 for jacket & overpants that originally retailed for a total of $800. Not bad!

Black or White?-7d1feb14-4eb9-40f1-b083-7e90ef647878-jpg
    Black or White?-e40cab93-abfe-4963-bdf7-70c8668fe074-jpg
    Black or White?-ee1baaef-2513-4458-8538-e2bca00e49fc-jpg
    óTed

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Good looking gear! You're all set for a road trip now!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    Good looking gear! You're all set for a road trip now!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I still need to sort out luggage accessories and camping equipment, but it’s a big step forward. I was expecting to add clothing to my wish lists here and there, then wait & hope for a Black Friday sale or something.
    óTed

Senior Member Black or White? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Protective gear first, luggage later
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Dellaster... My wife wears a FirstGear Monarch, which is the ladies version of the Renier you just purchased. Her’s is in Hi-Viz. it’s a great coat, plenty of coverage and protection. Waterproof? Yes! 37.5 refers to the fabrics supposed ability to maintain proper body temp but it’s just a shell, no insulation with modest venting. She overheats in the summer months when it’s humid, is cold in spring and fall unless she layers under it. But it is a great shell. Use it as a shell and it’s great for what it is. She wore it today in temps on our 120 mile ride that ranged from cloudy and 52 this morning to sunny and 65 this afternoon. She was wearing a thin wool pullover shirt under the FirstGear jacket and was a bit chilly this morning but comfortable the remainder of the day.

I have a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket, same 37.5 fabric as the Renier/Monarch. Honestly I love it for spring, fall and all but the hottest summer riding.

You’ll like your jacket and pants. I’ve looked at those pants many times and may still buy a pair!
    Last edited by melensdad; Today at 19:14.