Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D3O back armor = sweating back and zero airflow

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT

Question D3O back armor = sweating back and zero airflow

I have D30 back armor in my KLIM Apex Air and my First Gear Kilimanjaro jackets. Both are now Level 2. My wife has D30 back armor in her First Gear Monarch Jacket and her First Gear Mesh jacket. Monarch is Level 2, mesh is Level 1 armor.

We both have the same complaint. The armor is HOT against our backs. Zero airflow. There are ridges in the armor as well as some breathing holes, but basically its a high tech rubber panel against the back.

Anyone else have this problem?

This is the D30 armor, you can see its just a ridged pad with a few tiny air holes ==> Klim D3O Viper T5 Pro Back Protector - RevZilla

Seriously considering buying a Dianese back armor.

Anyone have one of these? ==> Dainese Pro Armor G Back Protector - RevZilla
    Last edited by melensdad; 8th June 2019 at 05:58.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    here is what i use, this is the newest version and much nicer to use/adjust than the older version i have. No more sweaty back/chest = happy wife = happy ride!! :{)

https://smile.amazon.com/Maxx-Dri-Co...YBFSMXNRDAR8S0
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    here is what i use, this is the newest version and much nicer to use/adjust than the older version i have. No more sweaty back/chest = happy wife = happy ride!! :{)

https://smile.amazon.com/Maxx-Dri-Co...YBFSMXNRDAR8S0
    Interesting. I can see that working. In fact working well.

But my concern is only my back needs the air flow and that costs $10 more than the ventilated back pad in my link. The Klim jacket has a full mesh back so it seems like they made a bad choice putting a solid back pad into the pad pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    Seriously considering buying a Dianese back armor.

Anyone have one of these? ==> Dainese Pro Armor G Back Protector - RevZilla
    I just ordered the Dianese. Should arrive just in time for 7 more days of continuous rain.

The pad is basically a mesh panel made from some sort of rubber, but holds a CE level 2 rating.

Hoping it helps. I can't imagine it holding heat like my current armor.

Bike: 2018 NC750X DCT
    How does the size/shape of the Dainese compare to your D30? I tried to put a new back pad (D30) in a FirstGear Jaunt jacket I had and the shape was just wrong enough that the jacket didn't fit right after that. It made the collar press on my adams apple and drove me insane, despite trying to trim it some to fit. I tried both level 1 and 2, neither worked out.

I hope you have better results, it looks like a sweet back pad but may be a bear to trim if needed.

Senior Member D3O back armor = sweating back and zero airflow davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bird..
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    I just ordered the Dianese. Should arrive just in time for 7 more days of continuous rain.

The pad is basically a mesh panel made from some sort of rubber, but holds a CE level 2 rating.

Hoping it helps. I can't imagine it holding heat like my current armor.

I can relate to all this rain here in southern Indiana...it was on the Louisville news this morning: 2018 was record year (the past 125 years) for rainfall...The 12 months of May 2018 to May 2019 was a record 12 months of rainfall, and May 2019 was the second wettest month on record (May 2015 holds the record)..now back to our regular schedule programming....inform us if you like it after you install and wear it...wonder if it will fit in my Olympia jacket...hmmm...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by davidc83 View Post
    ....inform us if you like it after you install and wear it...wonder if it will fit in my Olympia jacket...hmmm...
    The armor arrived a few days ago. Yesterday went out for a 2.5 hour ride to try it out.

First off the the armor is slightly longer (maybe an inch longer but I didn't measure it) than the original Level 2 D3O armor that came with the KLIM Apex Air jacket. The Dianese armor actually fits in the back pad pocket better than the original D3O armor too. I think the added length keeps the armor from moving around in the pocket.

As for ventilation, there is a world of difference. It works much better. I still feel a slightly warm spot down the center of my back but its not like I'm wearing a non-breathable heating pad anymore!!! Being a Level 2 protection pad its fairly thick, again, didn't measure it, but it might be slightly thicker than the original D30 pad.

Seems like it is a bit more rigid, but not so much as to be still or uncomfortable.

I consider this a major upgrade. But it does come at a fairly high cost.

Slipped the old CE Level 1 D30 pad out of my wife's First Gear mesh jacket and upgraded her to the Klim Level 2 D30 back armor and she didn't even know that I upgraded her protection.

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    D30 has a reputation for breaking down early anyway. Seems like the way to go is the Dainese if you want a CE2 insert.

I love my Pilot Slate mesh jacket. Good pocket placement, a great build of premium materials and a trim fit – with no stupid liner to hassle with when it starts raining. It just makes better sense to me to use external rain gear; it's faster to change over and you can go econo or premium, and buy from a number of markets and not just MC-oriented ones. Anyway. I decided I wanted the mesh to be allowed to be as cool and breezy-airy in the back as it is everywhere else for those hot days and those long periods at intersections. The two back protector inserts that looked the best for ventilation were a CE2 one from Dainese, and the CE1 Alpinestars Nucleon KR-CELLi. I decided I was cool with CE1 for this purpose because it's even slimmer and more flexible.

After some use in a variety of conditions I have to say these back inserts built around a lattice approach are just what the doctor ordered. They are so flexible without losing their shape and pass so much air they are the perfect mates for mesh jackets – which is after all about being as cool as possible and still having some protection. Highly recommended! Later if I go for a CE2 insert for a solid textile jacket it's definitely going to be something a lot like this because in that case you will still want breathabilty so as to not get clammy after exertion. I've used Dainese inserts elsewhere built around this approach and they are great.

Take a look at the pictures at the link above. I haven't seen any others that show the true nature of that product so well but here's the standard company-supplied image from the back...

Last edited by greenboy; 17th June 2019 at 12:54.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/albums
    390 sounds better than 790 to me

Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by greenboy View Post
    D30 has a reputation for breaking down early anyway.
    I havenít seen or heard this. Iíve put D3O in my summer and 3 season jacket and in my pants. Do you have any specific info on this? Googling didnít turn up anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    I havenít seen or heard this. Iíve put D3O in my summer and 3 season jacket and in my pants. Do you have any specific info on this? Googling didnít turn up anything.
    Just ran into it in reviews and mentions here and there, enough to where it stuck with me though I don't recall the specific sites. Like a lot of armor introductions it was touted as being incredible and I do have it in boots and gloves, just reporting what I've seen. Time always seems to tell what early marketing does not, but it could be like tire reviews ; }

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/albums
    390 sounds better than 790 to me