Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Want Protection

Bike: 2013 XD

I Want Protection

I want protection but it is just too hot.
    I am unable to stand the heat and even putting on a mesh jacket seems too much for me in the Florida summers.

Just got the new Aerostitch catalog and yea they have what they say is cool but they are not in the south and I just can't take it inside the ones I have tried.

I want a chain mail suit.
    I have spent time researching chain mail and shark suits off and on. Mostly off as I get discouraged. I have not found anything that I can afford or that seems it could work.

Anybody know anything about chain mail or shark suits or something that would be truly breathable and scratch resistant.

Bike: 2002 Buell M2L 2012 NC 700X
    There's a couple of downsides to Maile you should consider-
    1. An entire shirt is a BEAR to put on.
    2. Very limited flexibility.
    3. Need to wear a heavy shirt under it or it will abrade tender spots.
    4. It's HEAVY.
    5. Any loose ends will scratch your Bike.
    6. In a crash it will snag on almost anything.
    7. (from SCA combat experience) Impact with a moving object can make the links turn up on edge and it will EAT you like scaling a fish.

You can roll your own with 14-16 gauge stainless wire from Home Despot wound around a 3/8th rod. Be prepared for several weeks of cutting and bending.
    I Want Protection-45387823_1954233621280022_8330686955809406976_n-copy-2-jpg

Bike: NC750X DCT, BMW X Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
    I want protection but it is just too hot.
    I am unable to stand the heat and even putting on a mesh jacket seems too much for me in the Florida summers.

Just got the new Aerostitch catalog and yea they have what they say is cool but they are not in the south and I just can't take it inside the ones I have tried.

I want a chain mail suit.
    I have spent time researching chain mail and shark suits off and on. Mostly off as I get discouraged. I have not found anything that I can afford or that seems it could work.

Anybody know anything about chain mail or shark suits or something that would be truly breathable and scratch resistant.
    If you are looking for super-stout mesh gear, I doubt you'll find anything better than the kevlar mesh at https://www.motoport.com/. It's very spendy and not all that stylish but it's strong and a half.

I've had one of their mesh suits for 4-5 years and wear it on every ride. It's a bit sun-faded now but still in overall good condition 'cause Motoport's happy to do any repairs or mods you might want for a reasonable price.

I went down on some 2-3 day old chipseal a few years ago at maybe 20 mph - got a small scratch on my forearm about 4 inches long where a sharp rock chip stuck through the mesh. The gear was just fine, maybe a slight bit of burnishing where the friction was greatest. I'm a believer.

Senior Member I Want Protection dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Motorcycle apparel should incorporate impact protection as well as protect us from abrasion injury. Sure it is hot but worth it in my opinion.

Anyone thinking of buying protective gear should stay away from garments incorporating Kevlar. Despite manufacturer claims and testimonies, the facts are that Kevlar is extremely UV sensitive and loses strength rapidly when exposed to sun but doesn't change appearance. The garment may look as new and have much less protection than new.

Any examination of Kevlar properties reveals this and DuPont's own material data sheet recommends storing it indoors away from windows open to sunlight.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: 2012 Honda NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by CapeMan View Post
    If you are looking for super-stout mesh gear, I doubt you'll find anything better than the kevlar mesh at https://www.motoport.com/. It's very spendy and not all that stylish but it's strong and a half.

I've had one of their mesh suits for 4-5 years and wear it on every ride. It's a bit sun-faded now but still in overall good condition 'cause Motoport's happy to do any repairs or mods you might want for a reasonable price.

I went down on some 2-3 day old chipseal a few years ago at maybe 20 mph - got a small scratch on my forearm about 4 inches long where a sharp rock chip stuck through the mesh. The gear was just fine, maybe a slight bit of burnishing where the friction was greatest. I'm a believer.
    While I completely agree with what you said, he's complaining of mesh being too hot in Florida. Motoport's armor it's larger than most (covers forearm and shins) plus there's armor I haven't seen in order gear (ribs). At the end of the day, it's the hottest mesh I've ever worn but I won't ride without it. Maybe a call to them could find a cooler solution? They have pants (not over-pants) which would be the coolest option for the lower half. Or get the over-pants and wear shorts.

Personally, it's uncomfortably hot at stop lights in July/August but so is most gear. It was also miserable on my way from New Orleans to KY a few years ago (98 on a Voyager XII) and I stopped to soak my Under Armour shirt every hour or two.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Senior Member I Want Protection
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    I have head of people wetting their clothes with their gear to get evaporative cooling. It thought there were some threads on the forum about this.

Bike: NC750X DCT, BMW X Challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by jspivy View Post
    While I completely agree with what you said, he's complaining of mesh being too hot in Florida. Motoport's armor it's larger than most (covers forearm and shins) plus there's armor I haven't seen in order gear (ribs). At the end of the day, it's the hottest mesh I've ever worn but I won't ride without it. Maybe a call to them could find a cooler solution? They have pants (not over-pants) which would be the coolest option for the lower half. Or get the over-pants and wear shorts.

Personally, it's uncomfortably hot at stop lights in July/August but so is most gear. It was also miserable on my way from New Orleans to KY a few years ago (98 on a Voyager XII) and I stopped to soak my Under Armour shirt every hour or two.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    True about the size of Motoport's armor. In the end, when you need it, that's probably a good thing but if you don't want to, you don't have to wear the armor that comes with their gear (pressure suits, strap-on elbow & knee pads etc. instead) I just go with the overpants and shorts approach but the shin pads and thigh pads do cut airflow substantially. Shifting position to change airflow patterns helps a bit.

This is heavy gear and I feel really armored up whenever I put it on. And having gotten used to it, and experienced that 20 mph slide across a cheese grater, I now feel very vulnerable indeed if I try to substitute a light mesh jacket, even when it's got elbow, shoulder, and back pads.

On a hot day here in Arizona, an evaporative cooling vest saturated with water does a reasonable job of keeping your core coolish as long as you're moving and regularly re-saturate the vest. But it's dry here so this might not help much, if at all, on a hot and humid day in Florida. There is a good argument that mesh is worse for cooling when the ambient temp is above body temperature, heating you up rather than cooling, and if I didn't have some form of workable evaporative cooling I think I'd take it to heart.

Every once in a while I toy with the notion of a vest with small tubing running through it (similar to the heating wires in a heated vest) hooked up to a small 12V bilge pump that's set in a 6-pack cooler full of ice. Sounds awkward at best but I do have something similar that I used to ice down my knee after a joint replacement operation so there's some proof in principle there. I think I vaguely remember seeing something like this for constructions workers too.

Senior Member I Want Protection Fuzzy's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, Versys X-300
    Here is my warm weather protection. 10 seconds to get on or off without requiring removal of boots. Flows a lot of air, but apparently Olympia has quit making their one piece suits.

YouTube
    Apply dog logic to life:
    "Eat Well, Be Loved, Get Petted, Sleep A Lot, and Dream Of A Leash Free World."

ATG ATT

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Quote Originally Posted by CapeMan
    Every once in a while I toy with the notion of a vest with small tubing running through it (similar to the heating wires in a heated vest) hooked up to a small 12V bilge pump that's set in a 6-pack cooler full of ice. Sounds awkward at best but I do have something similar that I used to ice down my knee after a joint replacement operation so there's some proof in principle there. I think I vaguely remember seeing something like this for constructions workers too.
    Dad built and uses exactly that down here in the lower desert. He’s quite happy with it!

Senior Member I Want Protection Fuzzy's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, Versys X-300
    Quote Originally Posted by CapeMan View Post
    …..hooked up to a small 12V bilge pump …...
    When my dad retired from the navy he said he was going to start hauling an anchor inland until someone asked him what it was, and that is where he would settle down. As "bilge pump" is a nautical term and you live in Arizona, can you relate or is ocean front property in Arizona now a reality?
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 10th May 2019 at 15:44.
    Apply dog logic to life:
    "Eat Well, Be Loved, Get Petted, Sleep A Lot, and Dream Of A Leash Free World."

ATG ATT