There's a couple of downsides to Maile you should consider-
1. An entire shirt is a BEAR to put on.
2. Very limited flexibility.
3. Need to wear a heavy shirt under it or it will abrade tender spots.
4. It's HEAVY.
5. Any loose ends will scratch your Bike.
6. In a crash it will snag on almost anything.
7. (from SCA combat experience) Impact with a moving object can make the links turn up on edge and it will EAT you like scaling a fish.
You can roll your own with 14-16 gauge stainless wire from Home Despot wound around a 3/8th rod. Be prepared for several weeks of cutting and bending.