Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boot question - with a twist

Bike: DR350

Boot question - with a twist

Hi folks,
    I know the "work boot versus motorcycle boot" question has been hashed out ad nauseam. I'm well aware of the deficiencies of a work boot in comparison to a dedicated motorcycle boot, especially when it comes to an off road boot. This is primarily a question of ankle protection, from impact, abrasion and sprain/fracture (but also regards the level of protection from forefoot (toes, metatarsals fracture/dislocations) and rearfoot (calcaneus, talus, ankle mortis) injuries).

Due to strokes, I have to wear an articulated semi rigid ankle brace (Active Ankle T2, about $30 on Amazon) on my left ankle, because weakness in my left leg causes me to chronically roll over and sprain it otherwise. This weakness is also why I ride a NC750X dct.
    Boot question - with a twist-t2-jpg

It will not fit in a dedicated motorcycle boot so I wear it with a good Redwing boot, with GoreTex, a good Eva midsole and an oil and slip resistant outsole. This combination makes for very good protection from ankle injuries, and also provides impact and abrasion resistance at the ankle malleoli:
    Boot question - with a twist-img_6007-jpg

Since I'm already wearing the left ankle brace, I've decided to get a second brace to wear on the right ankle to provide better ankle protection there too. I already wear the left brace all day, and its the most comfortable light weight rigid ankle brace I've ever worn.

For those that choose to wear a work boot, adding this type of ankle brace on both sides seems to be an affordable and comfortable way of addressing some of the deficiencies of a work boot when it comes to protecting the ankle. I think it would provide ankle protection approaching that of an average road motorcycle boot (not an off road boot).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by BrianK; 10th April 2019 at 13:13.

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700X DCT (Black)
    In looking at the photo of the brace (no shoe) it looks like there is a pivot point with a bolt right on the ankle bone. If you want t know if your brace is good enough, (and I am really not trying to sound sarcastic) have someone lay your 400#+ motorcycle on your ankle and see if you have a hot spot on the ankle bone. That's the thing about the ankle support and protection of motorcycle boots - they are meant to spread the impact and abrasion out, and not have a focal point. Looking at that, I would almost put money on the brace doing more damage if the bike were to land on it, just because you have all that force focused on a tiny area

Get a good pair of ADV or off-road boots - there is a LOT of support in them. And as you said, there are plenty of posts going over boot choices.
    https://raven.deckyon.com

Kentuckiana NC Forum Group:
    https://nc700-forum.com/forum/groups/kentuckiana-ncs.html

NC700 Reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NC700x

Quote Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post

Get a good pair of ADV or off-road boots - there is a LOT of support in them. And as you said, there are plenty of posts going over boot choices.
    I'm a foot and ankle surgeon, and I broke an ankle in college so have a lot of experience with ankle braces, and I understand ankle bracing pretty well. Unfortunately a pair of adv boots won't provide the level of custom high ankle support I get from this brace, and off road boots aren't an option for the type of riding and activities I do.

The metal in the brace is fairly well recessed:
    Boot question - with a twist-ankle-brace-1-jpgBoot question - with a twist-ankle-brace-2-jpg

Plus its completely covered by the leather of the Redwing on the outside and an additional cushion on the inside.

Senior Member Boot question - with a twist
    Bike: SV,WR,YZ,NC
    Why isn't a dirt boot an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    Why isn't a dirt boot an option?
    I need the custom support my current ankle brace gives me. Even a dirt boot wouldn’t provide the rigid/tight support I need on the left ankle and my brace will not fit in a dirt boot. Plus I need to be able to get off and walk around routinely for circulation.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Hey BrianK, many of the cycle shops do have some really nice motorcycle boots. If you did find one or a couple that you liked, then catch them on sale or grab a 10%-20% coupon! I too suffer from Arthritis/Gout attacks and often times have to get my shoes/boots one size larger to accommodate the times i am having an attack/flare-up. Mine really weakens/attacks my ankles and left hand/wrist. It won't be too much longer that i will be selling my manual NC and getting a DCT due to not always being able to pull and hold the clutch lever. It is amazing to me that during those times that a good brace or shoe/boot with some serious ankle support reallys does help! I recently scored a really nice pair of Bilt ADV boots from CycleGear that were marked way down on clearance.. and just happened to be the size i needed. !!!..SCORE..!!
    :{)
    Last edited by Rapturee; 10th April 2019 at 16:42.
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

I just ordered the FirstGear Kilimanjaro hi viz coat and pants, excellent motorcycle specific gloves, and a Reevu helmet with periscopic rear view built in.

I’m not trying to skimp on safety gear, or wimping out on mc boots because of expense, or my other boots are more comfortable or more stylish. If average road mc boots provided the level of custom high ankle support of these ankle braces, to prevent rolling over my ankle while walking, I’d simply buy a pair.

They don’t. (I’m a foot and ankle surgeon so I know a bit about this subject.)

So this is the best possible compromise I can make.

Senior Member Boot question - with a twist
    Bike: SV,WR,YZ,NC
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
    I need the custom support my current ankle brace gives me. Even a dirt boot wouldn’t provide the rigid/tight support I need on the left ankle and my brace will not fit in a dirt boot. Plus I need to be able to get off and walk around routinely for circulation.
    I can't imagine being able to roll my ankle in my Sidi Crossfire SRS2. Maybe if I landed on it, VERY hard, or something... but it's incredibly rigid side to side, with a hinge so you can move in the direction that's needed.

I won't claim that it's the best for walking, but that's largely due to the supermoto soles I have on (with sliders on the outside). With MX or Enduro soles it isn't too bad.

Of course, I'll readily admit that I'm talking about a $600 pair of boots (well, the current SRS3 goes for that much). Go buy a cheap pair of boots and they don't provide anywhere near the same level of support/protection.

Then again, maybe there's something I'm missing given that you're a foot and ankle surgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    Then again, maybe there's something I'm missing given that you're a foot and ankle surgeon.
    Doubtful ;-)

(You know doctors - think they know everything!)

Senior Member Boot question - with a twistBoot question - with a twist kpinvt's Avatar
    Bike: !RED! 2014 NC700XD - The Best Bike Ever
    The only thing that bothers me about your current set up is the shoelaces. I rolled a bike sideways off a trailer loading ramp when my left shoelace got caught on the foot peg.