Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boot question - with a twist

Senior Member Boot question - with a twist FezUSA's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700X DCT
    Coming from Doc's and work boots = great improvement! These are my 1st MC boots so I have no firsthand comparison. I did a lot of looking around and online comparative shopping with some limited in store checking. For what I wanted, these had the right height (v. large calf muscles); the right closure type/ # buckles; appropriate weatherproofing (I ride rain or shine, occasional snow if caught!); and a 'good' amount of protection (ankle and reinforced areas etc., CE rated for what it's worth); decent sole and reported and confirmed all day comfort. It's almost scary what can pass as MC appropriate footwear, these aren't those type of boots!
    --
    Fez

Senior Member Boot question - with a twistBoot question - with a twist kpinvt's Avatar
    Bike: !RED! 2014 NC700XD - The Best Bike Ever
    Quote Originally Posted by New Commuter700 View Post
    Yea, a little scary. I have no choice but to wear laced shoes when I ride. My right foot doesn't bend enough to put into a regular boot. I can't even wear a hiking boot because the heel is too high. The shoes I wear are high top basketball shoes and on my right foot is an ankle-foot orthotic brace (AFO). I always make sure that my shoes are tied but it is a worry.
    If I had to wear shoes with laces when riding I think I would wrap something around the top of the shoe to cover the laces. I think the ankle tube section of a pair of socks might work. PUll them over your feet before you put the shoes on and then pull them down to cover the laces.

Bike: DR350
    Quote Originally Posted by New Commuter700 View Post
    Yea, a little scary. I have no choice but to wear laced shoes when I ride. My right foot doesn't bend enough to put into a regular boot. I can't even wear a hiking boot because the heel is too high. The shoes I wear are high top basketball shoes and on my right foot is an ankle-foot orthotic brace (AFO). I always make sure that my shoes are tied but it is a worry.
    The afo itself would provide some protection on your right ankle. I wore an afo on my left leg until my muscles came back enough to graduate to a simple over the counter ankle brace. Maybe add one of these ankle braces to your left ankle to get a bit more support/protection?
    Last edited by BrianK; 13th April 2019 at 06:30.

Bike: NC700X
    I wear my Blundstones to work and this brace would be a definite improvement over the elastic that is "not protecting" my ankles now. I'll definitely check them out.
    Last edited by Jguarfn28; 14th April 2019 at 22:27. Reason: spelling

Bike: NC700X
    Laces: Around town I wear low cut sneakers and double knot them, and that keeps the loops small enough so they never catch on a foot peg or the shifter.

Senior Member Boot question - with a twist
    Bike: SV,WR,YZ,NC
    I saw a friend do serious damage to his ankle, at low speed, in town, when his front tire hit an oil slick turning from one street to another and his foot ended up under his bike. This was at maybe 15mph and that was the only significant injury.

I won't claim I'm perfect about gear, but my general order of importance is helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, pants. I really laugh when I see people wearing a helmet, a jacket, and nothing else protective... although I have ridden (and done wheelies) wearing helmet, gloves, boots, and NOTHING else, so who am I to judge.