Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ATGATT ... really? I mean really?

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT

Question ATGATT ... really? I mean really?

Both my wife and I are pretty safety oriented.

Every time we get on the bikes:
    • Helmet (mine = Arai Defender full face with lots of vents / hers HJC 3/4 with full face shield + vents)
    • CE armored jackets (both have First Gear textile, she has First Gear mesh, I have Klim mesh)
    • Riding shoes/boots
    • Riding gloves*

But we don't wear motorcycle pants if we are just taking a trip into town.

* she will occasionally leave off gloves and is looking for a better fitting pair of mesh gloves

For those who advocate All The Gear, All The Time do you actually do that? Is there something you leave off from time time?

What say you?
    Last edited by melensdad; 27th September 2018 at 15:23. Reason: Added info on helmets & jackets

Bike: 750 XD, FLHTC, Can Am RT
    Yeah, come around late October I'm all ATGATT. And I stay that way until late April. All winter long I hang out on forums and preach the ONLY SAFE way to ride.

Then around May I ditch my full face, pull on the half hat, kick the Shovel to life and become the pirate of my inner self.

OK, truth be told, I wear whatever gear I can and still be comfortable. At my advanced age ATGATT would kill me in the Virginia summer. Yes I have vented gear. Even then, soaking the tee shirt is needed to make life bearable.

Super Moderator ATGATT ... really?  I mean really? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Yes, I’m in full gear all the time, anytime. Full gear includes motorcycle pants, which I actually find to be quite comfortable. There’s just one exception: If I’m on my 50cc Ruckus scooter, I have been known to occasionally wear denim jeans and athletic shoes in hot weather.

I live outside the city and (partly for safety reasons) most always ride in rural areas, avoiding city riding/congestion.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2012 NC700Xc
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy da vig View Post
    Yeah, come around late October I'm all ATGATT. And I stay that way until late April. All winter long I hang out on forums and preach the ONLY SAFE way to ride.

Then around May I ditch my full face, pull on the half hat, kick the Shovel to life and become the pirate of my inner self.

OK, truth be told, I wear whatever gear I can and still be comfortable. At my advanced age ATGATT would kill me in the Virginia summer. Yes I have vented gear. Even then, soaking the tee shirt is needed to make life bearable.
    The heat is reason I don't wear the pants all the time...
    Most of the time, and even on a hot day if I know I'll be moving the whole time I'll wear them, but stuck in traffic...

I also pull the foam out of the back of my jacket on warm days, lets the mesh vent a little better.

Otherwise though, full face helmet, jacket and gloves (got a couple pairs depending on the temperature) all the time, pants most of the time...

Senior Member ATGATT ... really?  I mean really?ATGATT ... really?  I mean really? kpinvt's Avatar
    Bike: !RED! 2014 NC700XD - The Best Bike Ever
    I always wear motorcycle boots, modular helmet, elk skin gloves in the warmer weather, insulated armored gloves in cold weather and a pair of Gore-Tex flyers gloves for rainy weather. I usually wear one of the two Aerostich suits I have that I bought on Ebay. I have a regular two piece in size 44 Short and a lighter R3 one piece in 44 Short. I wear the R3 in hot weather with absolutely no cotton fabric touching my skin under the suit unless I'm commuting the very short 5 miles to and from work. It was so hot this past summer I took the Madstad windshield off to get more of breeze while riding. I would wear lace up shoes from time to time until I rolled a bike, with me on it, sideways off of a trailer I was loading the bike onto. My left shoe lace got hung up on the foot peg and down we went onto the street.

Senior Member ATGATT ... really?  I mean really? GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    Mesh pants and jacket, and mesh armored gloves, in the summer, regular armored jacket and pants, and regular armored gloves, in the cooler months. Full face helmet and motorcycle boots always.

Yeah, it can get toasty sometimes, but I figure that passes quicker than the road rash - or worse - will.

I don’t leave home without ‘em ATGATT ... really?  I mean really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member ATGATT ... really?  I mean really? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I'm pretty much ATGATT all the time but like Greg I will occasionally ride my scooter around the block in jeans and a tee shirt. I always wear a helmet and gloves.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member ATGATT ... really?  I mean really? superdedooperman's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 Red Honda NC700X
    Modular helmet, armored jacket with back protector, leather gauntlet gloves with armored knuckles, and boots every time. I, too and sometimes on the pants. Solely due to my 3.7 mile "commute" to work. On longer trips, I would include riding pants, as well.

This summer was pretty brutal at stop lights (4 of them between the house and work.) We had a heat index upwards of 115F on the hottest days...but I still survived

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    So to sum it up ... many of us go pants less

Senior Member ATGATT ... really?  I mean really? GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    Really could have lived without that image ATGATT ... really?  I mean really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk