Thread: Done with my SPOT too!

Bike: 2015 NC700X

Done with my SPOT too!

I've had a SPOT GPS emergency service for years. Every year they charge my credit card. This year the price went up to $221.30

It started at $164 (and change) years ago and then went to 175. Now they want $221.30!

Enough is enough. Most places we ride the cell phones work anyway.

If you go to their website, you can do everything but cancel service. You have to call. How long should I wait on hold? 1/2 hour? An hour?

Anybody want to buy a SPOT?

I disputed the charge with my CC company and blocked them as a vendor that can charge me.

Super Moderator Done with my SPOT too! 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, Ruckus 50, KLX140L
    It's odd that SPOT is raising prices at a time when the inReach competition is getting more intense. Maybe they are barely staying afloat.

Sad thing is, if SPOT prices rise, maybe inReach will also.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Senior Member Done with my SPOT too! dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    My renewal was just under $160 last October. I think it started around $100 nine years ago but I've seen it work well twice after a crash to bring first responders just minutes into the golden hour where there was no cell service and probably never will be so I still see value in it. I'll be watching my renewing bill closely. Thanks!
    Dave

ST1300
    NC700XD
    CH80

Senior Member Done with my SPOT too! GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT

Done with my SPOT too!

I posted about this in another thread. Spot eliminated their "basic" service and now everyone is on the "enhanced basic" meaning you can set your tracking interval from 5 minutes or higher. That makes the lowest plan now went up $50 per year. However, when I called to get the explanation and nicely said I had to consider whether I can renew, they immediately waived the increase for this year so I'm paying this year what I paid last year.

The delorme unit itself seems more expensive, as is their service, but you can turn it on month to month whereas with Spot it's an annual plan. I can never plan explicitly when I'm going to be out of cell coverage so just having it all the time works for me, and in that scenario Spot is less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GregC; 9th May 2017 at 12:11.

Bike: 2015 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    I posted about this in another thread. Spot eliminated their "basic" service and now everyone is on the "enhanced basic" meaning you can set your tracking interval from 5 minutes or higher. That makes the lowest plan now went up $50 per year. However, when I called to get the explanation and nicely said I had to consider whether I can renew, they immediately waived the increase for this year so I'm paying this year what I paid last year.

The delorme unit itself seems more expensive, as is their service, but you can turn it on month to month whereas with Spot it's an annual plan. I can never plan explicitly when I'm going to be out of cell coverage so just having it all the time works for me, and in that scenario Spot is less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I called, and called, and called. Never got anyone to answer. Just music on hold. Called credit card co and disputed charge. The card co called and was on hold over an hour. When they got spot on the phone they called me on 3 way. Spot said they'd call me back in a hour. No call till next day. Then they offered to lower to 175. Told them no. Then they said how about 49.99 for a year. Told them no. Spot went on Ebay. Still waiting for refund they promised. Dispute will be settled in 90 days. SPOT sucks!