• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT Stuck In Gear

hojo

Reaction score
Visit site
I was driving home last night on the freeway and started to climb a slight rise in the road, giving it some throttle I noticed nothing was happening and had to quickly get to the side of road without being hit. There was absolutely no warning lights that came on UNTIL I came to a complete stop, when the engine shut off and the Check Engine Light came on. I had to get towed and got the news that the engine had gotten stuck in 3rd gear. The shop has never seen this happen and doesn't know why. I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of this happening, as I've lost a little faith in the DCT today.

That sucks! Mine is a 2015 DCT so that makes me nervous, but it has performed flawlessly so far. So turning the key off and on didn't help? What does the service manual say about your particular senario? Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and keep us informed of the progress with your ride!

I was driving home last night on the freeway and started to climb a slight rise in the road, giving it some throttle I noticed nothing was happening and had to quickly get to the side of road without being hit. There was absolutely no warning lights that came on UNTIL I came to a complete stop, when the engine shut off and the Check Engine Light came on. I had to get towed and got the news that the engine had gotten stuck in 3rd gear. The shop has never seen this happen and doesn't know why. I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of this happening, as I've lost a little faith in the DCT today.

Don't worry, it probably covered under warranty. Most likely a manufacturing defect... :eek:

People assemble these engines and they can make mistakes or a sensor failed.

No worries and do not threat... :D

Last edited:
That sucks! Mine is a 2015 DCT so that makes me nervous, but it has performed flawlessly so far. So turning the key off and on didn't help? What does the service manual say about your particular senario? Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and keep us informed of the progress with your ride!

You should always shift into "Neutral" and shut off the engine with the kill switch and then switch off the key. This is the most recommend method of shutting off this bike.

I got mine stuck in 6th one time accidentally hitting the kill switch on the highway. Had to repeatedly turn engine on and off with key and rock the bike back and forth as it changed one gear at a time from 6th down through first to neutral. Your comment of "slight rise" coupled with "third gear" and "nothing happening" makes me assume you lost all power as you would have been able to climb a slight rise in third. Is it possible you did what I did and unknowingly bumped the kill switch? I was 20 minutes on the side of the road before I noticed the switch. Major embarrassment as other bikers had stopped to help but of course no knowledge of DCT. :eek:

Same thing happened to me and it freaked me out! I was on the interstate and my Bluetooth came lose from my helmet so I let go of the gas to grab it and I shoved it into my jacket. When I went to give the ole girl gas, she wouldn't go. No lights no anything and as I pulled over she shut off. She would not crank and as I looked I noticed she was stuck in 6th gear. I didnt know what to do but I knew I was too close to the side of the interstate so I pushed her over and as I did she clunked down into 5th. I pushed a little more and down to 4th she went. So I put her on her center stand and I turned the rear tire came 3rd, 2nd, 1st, and VOILA Neutral. She turned on and I got home just fine. I checked oil levels and everything I could think of but nothing seemed out of whack. That was a month ago and no problems have occurred since.

-Nope, I did not hit the kill switch.
-The mechanic said he has no idea why it got stuck in third, just odd. What makes even more odd to me is the fact that I was in D(rive) mode going about 65 mph when I just wanted a little more gas to climb, I never touched the manual shifter, so I wondered how it went all the way down to 3rd gear as I didn't give it that much gas...unless it did it by itself as I was coasting to a stop, where it died when I came to a stop.
-When I came to a stop, the check engine light came on, despite me turning it off and on several times. Also, the "-" indicator was always on which meant I couldn't start it, despite several attempts.
-This morning when I turned it on again, the check engine light came on, then disappeared and the oil light came on...the oil level is fine.
-The wrench fixed it by taking off the cam shaft cover and manually rotating the engine to disengage the gear. If it ever happens again, this is the fix he said I could do. I wonder since the bike didn't get into neutral, if pushing the bike back and forth would do it too. On the other hand, the bike was pushed a good distance to get loaded up and that didn't resolve the stuck gear issue. The bike isn't due for a valve check so I'm not sure what size tools, but I may want to look and throw the appropriate wrench in my kit.

I have experienced only one issue, but thats my fault for not warming up the bike a little.
besides that.... nothing ever happened. Have 8k miles on her and still going strong. Shifts fine.

ken

You should check all electrical connectors to transmission, shift motor, PCM, battery.
Service manual would be helpful. All section 12 is about DCT.

If the side stand switch buggers up, it will have the engine shut down on you in gear. Third seems weird indeed, in D at 65 you should be in 6th. It goes in 6th at 65 KM/H, never mind M/H in D.

Get your workshop to look at the side stand switch too, just in case.

I believe your initial problem was related to engine losing power. Electrical or whatever. Some downshifting occurred in bike slowing down. Pushing the bike wouldn't have changed gears to neutral unless key was on. It doesn't shift without electricity. With engine off gears can be in a bind preventing shifting. This is why the back and forth allows them to shift by taking pressure off the gears.

[I got mine stuck in 6th one time accidentally hitting the kill switch on the highway. Had to repeatedly turn engine on and off with key and rock the bike back and forth as it changed one gear at a time from 6th down through first to neutral.]

I had a similar experience where I bumped the Engine Stop Switch by accident while I was going around 50-55 mph in 6th gear. I didn't try rolling the bike back-and-forth but did cycle the ignition Off and On and each time it came down one gear.
Pressing on the N button didn't seem to do much.

I now believe it won't go from 6th-to-N in one jump which makes sense because it's still a sequential (normal) transmission. I might try a test in my garage by putting the bike on the centerstand, starting the engine and getting it up to speed (6th) then shutting it off with the Engine Stop Switch.

As my first post on this site I hope I don't offend. I have a new 2015 DCT. I love the way it shifts smoother than I would do with manual. However I am now happy that I paid the extra $500 to get the Honda Extended Warranty for a total of 3 years.

I am going to practice hitting the kill switch while riding down my driveway at less then 10mph. What should I expect?

^^^^^^^^^^

Honda and the dealer are really happy you purchased the extended warranty too.

Many posts on the X tended warranty...........if it buys peace of mind its worth every penny to the buyer.
Some products deserve or need the extra warranty front load washers and expensive German cars come to mind.

...I am going to practice hitting the kill switch while riding...

I did hit engine stop switch couple of time, riding at different speeds, just for my own experience. In my case nothing "dramatic" happened. When slowly decelerating I could feel and hear much stronger and louder thumps of transmission downshifting sequentially and on display I could see gear position number changing. Transmission wouldn't switch to neutral when bike is still moving. Only when stopped, turning ignition switch off-on would switch transmission to neutral.

U
[I got mine stuck in 6th one time accidentally hitting the kill switch on the highway. Had to repeatedly turn engine on and off with key and rock the bike back and forth as it changed one gear at a time from 6th down through first to neutral.]

snipped.... I might try a test in my garage by putting the bike on the centerstand, starting the engine and getting it up to speed (6th) then shutting it off with the Engine Stop Switch.
If I'm not mistaken the XD won't shift out 1st unless the front wheel is turning an appropriate speed.

Last edited:
I believe your initial problem was related to engine losing power. Electrical or whatever. Some downshifting occurred in bike slowing down. Pushing the bike wouldn't have changed gears to neutral unless key was on. It doesn't shift without electricity. With engine off gears can be in a bind preventing shifting. This is why the back and forth allows them to shift by taking pressure off the gears.

I agree with fuzzy, check battery connections, and make sure charging system is working. I would also tell you do not look for problems if you are not having any. All of are electric shift transmissions do not like
being turned off, with out being in neutral. Riding the bike and turning it off, is like unplugging a cumputer while running, you never know whats going to happen when turned back on? I have probable beat my dct trans harder then most, and it has always worked. The two biggest dct problems is battery voltage,and DIRTY OIL. Dale

H
I agree. A manual transmission bike would act the same way if the kill switch or key turned off the electrical system while the bike was cruising in a higher gear. When the bike comes to a stop it would be difficult to change down to neutral without rocking the bike back and forth slightly.

U
If I'm not mistaken the XD won't shift out 1st unless the front wheel is turning an appropriate speed.

The forward velocity is measured directly from the counter-shaft which is connected directly to the drive sprocket. The PCM also takes other parameters into consideration to determine when to make the appropriate shifts.

Here's another vote for Fuzzy. I also agree with these statements and logical reasoning.

Back