• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fuel tank capacity?

mburgess

Reaction score
Visit site
:confused:

I was just wondering how much fuel you guys can fit in your NC 700X. The manual say 3.7 gallons, but I usually only put in around 2.7 gal from flashing empty bar (I usually fill it up pretty quickly when it starts to flash). How far are you supposed to be able to go on the flashing empty bar (reserve in my mind)? I thought it was like only 20 miles.

People have reported putting in as much as 3.7 gallons, so the stated capacity seems to be accurate.

When your gauge starts flashing, ride another 50 miles and see how much fuel fits. Then you'll get an idea how much reserve you have.

Last edited:
or... ride another 200 miles and you'll know exactly how much fuel fits and how far you can go (avg) on a given day...

might be a good idea to carry some fuel attempting that.

but seriously folks.... here's the chart I like to think of about how far you can go...
it lists MPG first then how far you could go at that MPG.... (MPG * 3.7 = Distance)

I avg. 65 MPG consistently, so I know that going past 240.5 miles is UNWISE.

MPGDistance

If you track your personal fuel consumption with Fuelly, it will tell you on average how far you can go on a gallon of fuel based on your riding style and conditions. It is pretty easy to use. You just record your mileage from your last fill and how much fuel you put in. The website will do the rest.

I usually put in 10 to 12 litres but can't remember where the bar was.
I just fill up on the way home at my local garage if its below the halfway mark.
I've done 200 miles or so by the time the last bar start to flash.
a lot depends on how I ride and most of the time I ride two up.

Can't remember the exact number, but the fuel light is supposed to start flashing when you have about 0.8 gallons left in the fuel tank. The owner's manual lists the exact numbers.

Thanks for the replies. I ran my bike for 30 miles after the bar starting flashing. I actually fit in 3.2 gallons of premium. Which is correct, because I have been getting around 60 mpg. this summer. My last bike had a manual reserve switch I was used to.

Fuel mileage on the NC varies greatly. If you are riding with no bags on a stock bike your mileage is probably very good. If you are riding with hard bags and loaded for a trip and carrying lots of stuff your mileage won't be quite so good. My total flame-out has varied from 200 miles to 170 miles on a loaded bike. To answer your question reasonably you need to consider the type of riding you do with the kit you have on your bike. The truthful answer to your question is: it depends... The mileage chart given by StratTuner will give you a good idea of how far you can go given your riding style, load, and other factors, weather, etc.

I have a 2013 manual NC700X. The only add on'z are center stand and Puig rear hugger. But, I usually ride redline on startup to whatever speed limit. I ALWAYS run +4,000 RPM, when cruising. I know that many people ride this bike with mpg goals, but i find that the bike runs best around 4 ,000 rpm + which is sad, beacuse the bike redlines at 6 (what 2 of play)?

I find it runs best around 4K as well. On my next sprocket change I am going to gear it down to 16/45. As far as gas, you cannot have too much unless you are on fire. I chose not to add the weight and complexity of an auxiliary tank like I had on my BMW, but I keep an extra 1.5 gallons on back in a 1.75 gallon RotoPak. I haven't used it but a couple of times. If nothing else, it gets rid of the nervousness that comes from running low in unfamiliar places. Peace of mind is priceless. My norm is 200 miles and stop by the odometer. But sometimes I come up short.
IMG_20141001_105403.jpg

Beemer - what is that thing almost touching the fenda extenda?

Also, that seat looks like it would fit my skinny butt just fine!

What is that seat (Link?) and the thing almost "touching" is a light, but on a light bar away from the fender, so it isnt touching, it is just a trick of the camera angle.

I did a 3.5 gallon fill-up just a month or so ago. 243 miles and I went into "eco" mode (like there's a sport mode, right?) when the light started flashing with just over a gallon remaining.

Beemer, you mentioned chain/sprockets, my 525 JT set-up passed 3,700 miles this weekend and is still exactly where it was tension-wise as when I installed it. I have never had a new chain not require an initial adjustment. The under-stressed-on-the-NC 525 drive system cost only $135 from JT(on Amazon) and the specs on their top of the line chain are identical to, or better than, the high end DID/RK/EK chains. I am impressed.

I have a 2013 manual NC700X. The only add on'z are center stand and Puig rear hugger. But, I usually ride redline on startup to whatever speed limit. I ALWAYS run +4,000 RPM, when cruising. I know that many people ride this bike with mpg goals, but i find that the bike runs best around 4 ,000 rpm + which is sad, beacuse the bike redlines at 6 (what 2 of play)?

I find the bike runs best at 3k, and even lugging it isn't a problem. 4k on the highway is smooth as butter though. Well before redline I have already shifted and have yet to hit the limiter. Going by feel, I seem to shift under 5k without thinking about it.

Beemer, you mentioned chain/sprockets, my 525 JT set-up passed 3,700 miles this weekend and is still exactly where it was tension-wise as when I installed it. I have never had a new chain not require an initial adjustment. The under-stressed-on-the-NC 525 drive system cost only $135 from JT(on Amazon) and the specs on their top of the line chain are identical to, or better than, the high end DID/RK/EK chains. I am impressed.

Too late. I already have the 520 DID VX2 and sprockets from Sprocket Center. The owner talked me out of my plan to go 525 with it. It still may have been the best idea, but I took the advice of the expert. I'm sure the NC doesn't have enough power to pull the 520 off of it. The stock NC chain was a joke. My current 520 DID ERC chain is doing fine after nearly 20,000 miles and ERC's don't last as long as VX2's do. Don't know when I last adjusted it, but I did adjust it a couple of times when new.

Yes, itlives, the thing almost touching is indeed a far-away light as Deckyon surmised. The seat is a Russell Day-Long heated leather seat. I have had heated leather Russell Day-longs on every bike I have owned in the last 20 years (including my TMax scooter) with the exception being my R75/6.

The owner talked me out of my plan to go 525 with it. It still may have been the best idea, but I took the advice of the expert. I'm sure the NC doesn't have enough power to pull the 520 off of it.

Expert you say? I may know at least one who regularly gets ~50K out of chain sets who would tell you to always up-size a 520 chain if practical. 520 chain sets are plenty strong enough, they just don't last as long as larger pitch chain sets. Weight and torque take their toll on driven chains and sprockets. In reality chain/sprocket sets are one of the least expensive cost/mile wear items so it is a minor thing. Sticking with OEM is usually a safe bet and is usually a solid value proposition.

I will keep posting updates on how well the JT set-up works if for no other reason than the experts can learn from my experience.

Once your bar starts flashing, your fuel meter should start counting for you and for mine it means I have .7 gallons left. I've used 3 at that point. I usually get about 215-220 miles commuting. I have hard bags as well and the commute is mixed with city and some quick freeway blasts. Had mine so low today that it was starting to cut out when healed over....not good. I would say that you are safe for at least 50 miles once the bar starts flashing unless you are riding it pinned the entire time......

Once your bar starts flashing, your fuel meter should start counting for you and for mine it means I have .7 gallons left. I've used 3 at that point. I usually get about 215-220 miles commuting. I have hard bags as well and the commute is mixed with city and some quick freeway blasts. Had mine so low today that it was starting to cut out when healed over....not good. I would say that you are safe for at least 50 miles once the bar starts flashing unless you are riding it pinned the entire time......

The OP has a 2013. That model year does not have the same dash programming as your 2014. It does not do the count down or up thing when the gauge starts flashing.

Back