• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Best economical rear tire for mostly on road use?

mburgess

Reaction score
Visit site
:confused:

I looked at the thread on tires that fit the NC700X. Any thoughts on the cheaper end of the spectrum? Shinko? Continental Motion Tires? I want something that will last as long as possible (on economical end). Thanks for the help.

Probably some have researched this more in depth, but from what I have been reading, it seems the conti Motion tires are probably your best bet as far as bang for the buck. They seem to last close to as long as any other tire and are on the cheapest end of the spectrum.

I'm at my wear bars now with 8k on the tires so I will probably be replacing mine soon. I am hoping to get another 1-2k out of these but not at all sure about that.

+1 on conti motion. I'm at about 6,000 on one. seems like I'll get at least 9,000, and it's one of the cheapest options.

Last edited:
+2 on the contimotion I have 8k on mine it's still good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Shinko Verge it has about 4,800 miles on it now and seems to be holding up pretty good. The stock Metzler had cord showing through at about 7,300 miles.

The Continental ContiMotion tire offers outstandingly low cost/mile _without_ giving up road grip or noise or smoothness. I don't comment on performance in the rain, because it rarely rains where I live. :) I have ridden in a very light rain, though, and had no issues or trepidations.

+5 on the Conti Motion tires! (How high can we go?). I'm cheap and can't pass up a good deal, such as the Motion tires. My front Motion has already outlasted the OEM Metzeler and still has a few thousand left in it.

They're a little harder to mount than a Michelin PR4 because the sidewalls are stiffer, but they're great tires.

I enjoyed my Conti Motion as well, but I will say that it doesn't last as long as it could. Both the one on my bike, and the one I mounted on a friends bike were toast around 7k miles (rear tire -- fronts seem to last much longer, I'm at ~10k on the front with lots of life left). It's still good value/mile, but not quite as much as you might think. If you pay to have your tires swapped the savings are probably non-existent.

Conti - $79.08 / 7k miles = $.0113/mi

PR4 - $166.87 / 11k miles = $.0152/mi (+$.0039)

Figure the Average Joe riding 10k/year that's about $39 saved per year. Prices from American Moto Tire today, for reference. YMMV, of course :cool:.

trey

Okay, I'm convinced. I ordered the Continental motion 160-60 17. It was only $90.48 with free shipping.

Next time consider getting it for $79.08 with free shipping at American Motorcycle Tire.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm glad I checked here for tires. I also went for the first time with the Conti Motions and for the prices @ AMT I couldn't justify doing the Michelin Road Pilot (3 or 4) . I mostly commute and have over 33K on my 2012 (that's with a couple of months off in Cali and the sporadic rain). I've only managed to get about 11-12K out of them and figured I'd try these. Great Thread.

I wanted something that had grooves into or across the center of the rear tire. Shinko Raven 009 looked like something I wanted to try, seemed reasonably priced with some promise of longevity. Only 4,000 miles so far... looking good for a while. It seems to handle well (spoken from a noo-by perspective... like, what do I know about this.)
As a comparison:
Shinko 009 Raven Rear Tire - Motorcycle Superstore

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Here is the mileage I have gotten from the rear tires I have used so far. A lot of the use on these tires was a daily highway commute and a couple long tours. I know a lot of people get better mileage than I do, but this would be a way you might be able to compare different tires. All of these were worn the Tread Wear Indicators.

Stock Metzler, 5206 miles
Full Bore M-1, 4818 miles
Shinko Raven #1, 9212 miles
Shinko Raven #2, 7210 miles (used for a coast to coast ride two up)
Conti Motion, 4412 miles to date. Based on measured tread I expect it to last about 5500 miles.

The Metzler worked well but with the short life I couldn't justify the high replacement cost so I tired the Full Bore which was the cheapest tire AmericanMotoTire.com had at the time. A nice ride and handling but short life.

Searching for longer life I tried the Ravens. They wore well but have a wider, flatter profile and a harder rubber so they handle slower.

I really liked the way the Conti handled. However, by 3000 miles it had squared off and began to "cup". I'm going try a second one hoping the last wasn't normal.

Last edited:
Here is the mileage I have gotten from the rear tires I have used so far. A lot of the use on these tires was a daily highway commute and a couple long tours. I know a lot of people get better mileage than I do, but this would be a way you might be able to compare different tires. All of these were worn the Tread Wear Indicators.

Stock Metzler, 5206 miles
Full Bore M-1, 4818 miles
Shinko Raven #1, 9212 miles
Shinko Raven #2, 7210 miles (used for a coast to coast ride two up)
Conti Motion, 4412 miles to date. Based on measured tread I expect it to last about 5500 miles.

The Metzler worked well but with the short life I couldn't justify the high replacement cost so I tired the Full Bore which was the cheapest tire AmericanMotoTire.com had at the time. A nice ride and handling but short life.

Searching for longer life I tried the Ravens. They wore well but have a wider, flatter profile and a harder rubber so they handle slower.

I really liked the way the Conti handled. However, by 3000 miles it had squared off and began to "cup". I'm going try a second one hoping the last wasn't normal.
Helpful... thanks. I feel even more comfortable with my choice to try the Shinko Raven.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back