• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Yes, a 180 rear tire will fit (so far)

tooblekain

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I have been on here, and I wanted to just update everyone on something I discovered.

My girlfriend (CandyStripes327) has an NC700x and she wore out the rear tire commuting. Money has been somewhat tight yet we have plenty of track day take offs. 180/55/17 is a very common tire size and we were curious to see if this would be a suitable replacement for my girlfriend.

We had it spooned on and it looked good. Putting it on was a breeze as well.

From the pics, you can see how a Dunlop Q2 looks and that the clearance between the side of the tire to the chain is about 1cm.

We did a 170 mile commute and it worked fine. The handling felt the same to me. (However I ride many different bikes at any given time). Since this is a track take-off, the sides are worn out...so there are no plans to take this up to the twisties. Just strictly commuting.

I understand I may be opening a can of worms and Pandora's box debating that this is unsafe mixing brands and sizing of tires, but understand that I also race motorcycles and do this all the time.

We have a Michelin Power Cup as well as Pirelli Diablo Supercorsas next to try.

Just want to expand the knowledge pool.

If you have a rear tire hugger, it may cause issues. I think Sofia's NC700x has no rear hugger.

NC700x w. 180 rear tire chain clearance.jpg

NC700x w. Dunlop Q2 180 rear 180-55-17.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. Pfft to worries about mixing brands, I just put a Battlax S20 on the back of my bike (stock size) and still have lots of miles to go before the Angel GT on the front wears out. My first choice would have been another Angel on the back, but the S20 came in about $70 less. Just couldn't turn that down.
Interested to see if the wider tire lasts longer.

Looks good. Pfft to worries about mixing brands, I just put a Battlax S20 on the back of my bike (stock size) and still have lots of miles to go before the Angel GT on the front wears out. My first choice would have been another Angel on the back, but the S20 came in about $70 less. Just couldn't turn that down.
Interested to see if the wider tire lasts longer.

Tire width doesn't necessarily change tire life. It may just change the footprint and handling. So far the handling didn't feel different when on the NC700x.

My experience with Bridgestones is that their compounds are the softest. For example, their medium compound is equivalent to other brand's soft compounds. Keep in mind this is from a racing perspective where I use DOT Race tires and slicks.

A friend of mine tried their R10 (which is their street version of their DOT race tire) at the track and it didn't even last a weekend. He was highly disatisfied. However keep in mind that he was riding an R1 and he's pretty quick. My experiences with Bridgestones are that they stick well and do give great feedback, but they don't last long.

However I have no experience with their sport touring tires. My only experience with a Bridgestone sport touring tire is a really old one. The Bridgestone Battlax BT023 (I think that's it) on my dad's Triumph Sprint RS. However I didn't ride it that much as well.

Since the NC700x is my girlfriend's, and we're both partial to Pirelli (its the brand of tires we use when we race), she wants to get the Angels but since money is kind of tight and we have stockpile of take-offs, why not recycle what we have.

Back