• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Heading to the Land of the Dragon.

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The weekend of May 15, I'll be traveling to Kickstand Motorcycle Lodge for the 6th consecutive year. This trip started as an ad-hoc Honda Nighthawk Rally. I've enjoyed every year, made some good friends and ridden some wonderful roads. Since I've migrated from Nighthawks to NC's I thought I'd mention it here. I only expect a handful of guys to join me this year as the crowd of past years has moved on to other interests.

Edit: forgot to mention that this is in the NC Smoky Mountains. Kickstand Lodge is located in Stecoah, NC. They have a few cabins, but those go quick. I always camp. good meals too. This year I plan to take at least one day for the N. Georgia mountains.

I hope some of you guys might make a jaunt up that way.

This are links to past ride reports. Personally, I ride with the older crowd and while we enjoy the curves, we aren't attempting to drag pegs and we stop frequently to take care of business as old men should.

The Adventures of an Old Fat White Guy: KSL 5 - One for the Thumb - Ride Report

The Adventures of an Old Fat White Guy: KSL 4 - The Nighthawk Forums.com Smoky Mountain Rally - Part A

The Adventures of an Old Fat White Guy: KSL 4 - The Nighthawk Forums.com Smoky Mountain Rally - Part B

The Adventures of an Old Fat White Guy: KSL 4 The Nighthawk-Forums.com Smoky Mountain Rally Part C

Last edited:
Man, drdubb, you've got some awesome write-ups. I'm loving the pictures and ride reports you linked. That kind of stuff makes me want to jump on the bike and just go find something.

Join us. Get a tent, a sleeping bag and a credit card.( a little cash is useful) All you need. Breakfast and dinner are at the campground.(nominal donation) We find somewhere to eat on the road. The only plan is no plan. You are not that far away. There is usually a young crowd and an older crowd that ride in small groups.

A little more information

This rally is just a gathering of like minded riders. There are no planned routes or events. The plan is no plan. The weekend is what you make of it. Some years its epic, some years its just a nice weekend of riding. In the past, someone has always taken on the task of producing a T-shirt. I'm not sure that will happen this year. My first year shirt is my most prized possession.

I think with the loss of many of the original folks, the flavor this year will be much different. Again, its what you make of it. I know I've made some lifetime friends that I see once a year.

Basics...We stay at the Kickstand Lodge on Highway 28 in Stecoah, NC. Kickstand Lodge motorcycle campground
Its a simple place, she (Mo) has a handful of cabins and tents for rent. They are basic affairs. Call early to reserve. The cabins have linens.
You can also bring your own tent.
She supplies towels for the bathhouse and there is a washer a dryer available in case you dirty your undies on a screaming curve.
Dinner is cooked and served for a small donation ($10) Cold beverages are also available for rental. Breakfast is also served for a small donation ($5) if one of us gets up and cooks it. Usually someone does.
Small groups usually form and set out on their own rides. Four is a nice size for a group. Lunch is found somewhere on the road.
The obligatory rides are of course, The Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Parkway. This makes a nice loop. Get your Dragon sticker at the beginning. Twenty eight over through Fontana to the beginning of the Dragon is really fun.
Twenty eight (hellbender) down to Highlands is nice. Stop at all of the waterfalls. There are also great loops off of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
The fried pie run down to Blue Ridge, Georgia is also popular.
There are a lot of good roads down in N. Georgia that I would like to explore this year.
There is more riding than you can do in a weekend.
Other roads, Joe Brown Highway, 68, Tilley road, Warwoman, 107, Wayah Road, Cullowhee Mountain Road, 197, 215, 281, 276.
The best deal is to come in on Thursday...run the dragon Friday morning before it fills up with the fools, get your picture, sticker and check that one off the list. Leave Sunday or Monday. Expect to get wet. It always rains some...last year some of us got drenched and others saw nothing but sunshine.

We generally sit around in the evening with beverages, a fire, and tell lies etc.

Usually someone crashes and usually it is a rookie. My first year...it was me.

Some guys trailer their bikes, some ride in. Trailers are nice to go get the crashed guys bike.

Ask any questions..no bad ones.

Alas, the whole weekend is out. I have work commitments on Friday and Sunday. Saturday will depend on whether the moon and stars align just right. Sounds like a blast.

I will be down near that area around the same time as well, but with a different group. ADVRider is having their 14th Annual Rick's Eastern Rendezvous in Hampton, TN. Runs from the 13th to the 17th. The 13th and 17th are my travel days, but the other three will be riding all over the area.

Deckyon...I remember your posts. That event coincides with our event every year. Don't forget to look up Halcyondaze.(dave) He rides a DR650. Tell 'em Dubb says hey...and don't believe any stories he tells. Otherwise, he's a real nice guy. He usually helps out with the event.

Wish I could come, but I'm going to nephew's Commissioning Ceremony that weekend. However I will be down there second week of June, and again in September, and maybe in October for the HU meet.

Have fun!

Last edited:
I'm heading to Tellico Plains this Saturday. Plan to be in the area a few days before making my way down to Florida via Myrtle Beach and Jekyll Island. Ride safe.
Mike

I was thinking that I could make a day trip up there on the 16th, but when I got home there was a wedding invitation waiting for me. Oh well. One day I'll get to come out and play.

Check this out

.Tellico Adventure Trail - ADVrider

I'm dying to try these routes. I've done the gravel hala and Witt rd(tat)

Yes, I read those with interest when he was putting the route together. I have downloaded the routes just in case. I will do some back country exploring but it will be pretty quick since I'm making my way to the Atlantic and then down to the Gulf before I return home. This will be more of a pass through ride in the Smokies.
Someday I will go back to that area and ride for a week or so and do more of the Tellico Trail.
Mike

I'm in Helen, Ga. with my wife. She gets a weekend in the mountains and I'm scouting roads for the May trip.

We caged the Gauntlet route today. I missed a turn here and there...but all of these roads were great. Topped the day with fried pie in Blue Ridge, Ga.

IMG_20150425_145117_145_zpsve4d4az5.jpg

I cant make it to the area during this time frame. My daughter is getting married on the 16th and I am attending the wedding (her daughters from a previous marriage is giving her away, so I don't have do get a tux for this one :)); though I am donating quite a bit to their honeymoon fund. I will be thinking of you guys though; out having fun on the bikes. If this motorcycle campground is full, there are others in the area-Iron Horse campground is just around the corner and there is one in Robbinsville (about 10 miles away).

Back