• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tire repair, what's the best method?

Soarezito

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a puncture I had some time ago, and repaired it in the shop.

Because I am not so experienced with punctures, I had a long talk with the mechanic about different ways to repair it and what is the most reliable.

Because I live in Africa and here reliability is a must, I would like to ear some inputs from forum users.

Back to the point, would you repair it with the inside patch, or with the rubber band applied from the outside (sorry do not know the name in english, is like a rubber plug)?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422860555813.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422860555813.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 658
Tire Sealant | Tire Protection System | Ride-On - Ride-On

I think a plug is what you are referring to as a rubber band. I use Ride-On in my motorcycle tires because I want to make it home without problems.
I also use a similar product in my ATV,lawnmower, log splitter and trailer tires because I don't have the time to spend repairing tires.
I'm sure some will disagree with me, but this has worked for me for many years.
That tire looks like it is long in tooth to me and I would plug it myself with a dose of Ride-On.
Ymmv

This is one of those never ending questions. I think everyone would agree the safest and most reliable solution is a patch applied to the inside of the tire, assuming the puncture was not too large. A properly applied patch will last for the life of the tire.

The debate will be whether you should use a tire plug. Opinions will vary from "never", to "only for emergencies", to "it's fine for a permanent repair". To further complicate things, those who use plugs will argue over which type is best.

A lot of people like the Ride-On sealant that turbodieseli4i6 posted above. This too is a highly debated topic as some people believe liquid sealants should not be used inside the tire.

I hope this was helpful.

I use the Stop and Go tire repair kit Amazon.com: Stop & Go International Pocket Tire Plugger for Tubeless Tires 1000: Automotive for the emergency roadside repair, then repair it permanently by dismountinting the tire and installing a Stop and Go plug patch. Amazon.com: Stop & Go International Patch/Plugs (6 pack) and Rubber Cement 3002: Automotive.

A puncture safe to repair (in my opinion) is one near the center third of the tread, and is a simple small round hole. I would have 100% confidence in repairing the puncture you show using the Plug Patch, then installing Ride-On sealant as a secondary measure. My current rear tire is patched this way, and I've ridden 8000 miles on it. The tire I'm going to mount next already has a Plug Patch in it, too.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Like said above, everyone will have a different opinion. I ran over a nail a while back. I carry a tire repair kit on the bike (gummy worms). I removed the nail and installed the worm. This was on a PR4 that still had lots of life. The nail was in the exact same area as your screw. I ran that tire for another 4,000 miles. It never leaked one bit of air. I may have been lucky or stupid but I let it ride that way until the tires needed to be replaced.

Having said that, I agree that an inside patch is the best method. I was lazy and do not have the tools to do tire changes.

Take it from a guy that owns a tire repair shop, is an auto tech and rides. The only proper way to repair a tire is from the inside. Vulcanizing the tire is the best method followed by a hot patch then a roll on patch. Over time plugs can leak and fall out and throwing a plug in does not give you a chance to inspect a tire for damage on the inside and too make sure whatever went through is still not rolling around on the inside.

Last edited:
Worm to get me where I need to go (not far) and then an internal patch/plug.

Plugs and ride-on are intended for emergency road side repair, just depends on how much u value your arse on how long u ride on that plugged tire after that. I like to ride fast and long rides so a piece of rubber worm or a rim full of slime does not cut it for me. I've lost air at speed before and do not want that experiance again. That tire costs a lot less than even just a few pieces of plastic you'll loose on even a slow get off let alone what perhaps happens too u. Just my opinion. Ride safe.

Thank you for all the inputs.

This was around 5.000km ago, and repaired it with the plug patch. It is still running with no issues at all.

I follow the inside patch thought, rode mountain bikes for more than 10 years and did loads of repairs.

The plug patch, if applied correctly, is like a nail from the inside out sealing the tire, and in my case I am sure no loosr parts are running inside the pneumatic. The guy who applied it happens to be an ex michellin france worker from the road competition division and assured me for my case it was the best option.

Again, I follow both sides of the thinking here, and I ask if anybody knew personally someone to whim the plug patch jumped out. I heard some cases, but it was only happening to a friend of a friend.

Fact is that when I replace this will put internal sealant, that is for sure.

Gummy Worms!

I started my input on another thread w/the same words. I've used these on dozens of tires in my 50+ years of motorcycling and love them.

The key is the hole be round and almost every time is and only the rear wheel; I've never had a front tire failure. A jagged piece of bone or gnarled 3" sheet metal screw will ruin a tire.

I carry the worms, the 2 T handled tools, a razor blade, pliers and a compressor (w/o the plastic shell for compactness) w/long alligator clips.

Let's ride. :)

Plugs and ride-on are intended for emergency road side repair, just depends on how much u value your arse on how long u ride on that plugged tire after that. I like to ride fast and long rides so a piece of rubber worm or a rim full of slime does not cut it for me. I've lost air at speed before and do not want that experiance again. That tire costs a lot less than even just a few pieces of plastic you'll loose on even a slow get off let alone what perhaps happens too u. Just my opinion. Ride safe.

What was the cause of your losing tire air at speed? Did a plug come out? If so, what kind? Just trying to gather some intel in case plugs are failing.

People seem to take it personally with how they view a tire repair "should" be done, I've found.

I had typed out a long: "I love the gummy worms" reply, but then decided against it. I have no desire to get the easily agitated peeps all hot under the collar, lol.

I didn't think it was such a contentious issue, but just like the chain topic (clip versus rivet) I was surprised at the vehemence shown. *shrug* Go figure.

I'm happy with what I do, so meh.

I think these discussions are good for gathering data. I know what my experiences are with tire repairs. It's also valuable to know what others have had for good or bad experiences. Blanket statements like "I would never patch a tire because my dealer/friend/mechanic/mom/dad told me not to" are not helpful without specific experience details.

My intention was to find out from group experience, which I did, thank you all for the time dedicated on this.

Allways good to see different experiences from around the world, since here I am kinda lonelly although I see some nc700x commuting around here.

By the way, this is how it is now, will likely change the tire in 2-3k km. At the time the mech left a big chunk outsde so the road would naturally grind it to blend with the tire, now it is an H type patch.

Regards to all NC enthusiasts :D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422905016066.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422905016066.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 319
It was a stop and go mushroom type. Large nail was still in rear close to centre but angled in, about 800 Km. tire lost air again plug had let go. Was able to plug again and make it home after I cleaned out my drawers! Angled holes are a tough fix Replaced with new P3 it lasted 2000 km. another hole (screw) replaced without thinking about it. Figured out that life is too short to have to worry about when a compremised tire may fail, a hole is still a hole. I have plugged some of my auto tires, trailers etc. until I can get it vulcanized but to me on two wheels pay your dime take your chances. Ride safe.

I have used Metzeler latex plugs or equivalent, for years. At first when I started using tubeless tyres, I went with a dealers recommendation and either replaced the plug with a tube in the wheel, or replaced the tyre. A tube in a tubeless tyre will generate more heat, but it works nonetheless.

One day years ago I got a puncture in the rear wheel of my scooter. I plugged it, and after an overnight at home I checked it again in the morning. It had held its pressure. I decided to find out how long the plug would last as the tyre was still very new. I eventually forgot about it and rediscovered it when getting the tyre changed. Since then, unless the puncture is outside of the scope of the use of a plug, I leave the plug in.

I have used plugs on everything from the Scooter (Silverwing) to a Goldwing. None of them have ever come free of the tyre, and only one started to lose pressure after a lot of mileage. Even then it was like a slow puncture. Imho, plugs will rarely suddenly deflate if installed properly and the bike is used at normal road speeds. However, proper installation is obviously very important. If I am not happy with the installation of a plug I will replace it immediately, with another.

The other aspect to consider is that tubeless tyres are designed to stay on the rim when deflated. I have had several punctures over the years, and with tubeless tyres one just becomes aware that the bike is suddenly handling strangely. At normal road speeds I believe Tubless tyres are one of the best improvements in modern motorcycling, as is the method of repairing a puncture on one of them. Just my view for what it is worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've pulled plugs out of tires with my fingers. I've repaired many tires that were leaking because of plugs. To each his own.

OK, plugs have failed. No debate there.

In the interest of gathering more data points, have you ever had a failure of a tire you patched internally, or with a plug/patch installed internally?

Last edited:
Back