• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2014 owners - Honda is aware of the trip meters resetting.

• Thread starter Deleted member 3648
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3648

Ok, so I have a 2 month old NC700XD, and this is happening on mine as well. I called American Honda Powersports (866) 784-1870).
I got through with a tech and he stated that he had not heard of the issue with random Trip A meters resetting to lower but random numbers. He put me on hold to call his technical team (they didn't pick up. HA!). After a few minutes he stated that he had opened a case but that I should take the bike in for service so they can get the case going. I agreed. About 30 minutes later, the nice fellow called me back and told me to hold off on taking it to the dealership as his tech team just called him back to tell him that this is in fact a known issue and they are working on it.
So...
Not sure if this means a recall and a complete replacement of the dash unit, or some type of firmware upgrade.
Either way, I'm sure it will be classified as some sort of recall but I'm not really sure.
Also, as I was typing this, Mike from American Honda called me back yet again to tell me that a case manager would be calling me to explain in detail what is happening and what to expect. So, this could be good info or really nothing at all.
But, in the end, I'm very impressed with the corporate support and the multiple calls I got back.
I will post any new details I get.....
I would suggest calling and putting in a complaint. It was extremely fast and easy. They will need your VIN....

:D

Honda has been aware of it for a long time. They aren't stupid. What you're saying is that Honda has now acknowledged that they are aware of it. That's definitely a step in the right direction.

Just got a call from American Honda, they are aware and working working on the problem, did not have an ETA yet, but it shouldn't be too long.
They will send letters to the owners that allow you to go to a dealer for a "product update", it will tell the dealer what part/s need to be replaced to correct the issue.
She said the letters are usually good for a couple of years if you can't get it in right away.

Hiya Grey1one. Got my call this morning as well. Exact same info that I received on the call that you described.
Great to know that we are getting closer to a fix.

Made my call this morning to them and they talked to their tech dept. and told me they were aware of it and were working on it but no time frame. Hopefully they will come up with a solution soon. Coming from a KLR I use the trip all the time.

When I had a BMW GSA I had just the opposite problem: the trip meter worked, but the fuel strip sensor (no float in the tank) would go bad and need to be replaced. With no fuel gauge I had to trust my odometer, but with a 350+ mile fuel range, it wasn't as much of a concern.

I just called, again. This time, instead of a very efficient run around like the last time I called, I was told right off that Honda is aware of the problem and to expect a letter in mail. They had no info on when the letter would arrive.

Just got a call from American Honda, they are aware and working working on the problem, did not have an ETA yet, but it shouldn't be too long.
They will send letters to the owners that allow you to go to a dealer for a "product update", it will tell the dealer what part/s need to be replaced to correct the issue.
She said the letters are usually good for a couple of years if you can't get it in right away.

Are you under the impression that all 2014 owners will be getting this letter? I hope so. I didn't really want to leave my bike at the dealers for a couple of days as they searched for a intermittent problem. I need to talk to them about my rear tire too. A little over 2000 miles and the damn thing is down to the wear indicators. And I drive very conservatively.

Should be all owners the way it sounded, although I don't remember if that came up specifically.

Trip meter malfunction

Are you under the impression that all 2014 owners will be getting this letter? I hope so. I didn't really want to leave my bike at the dealers for a couple of days as they searched for a intermittent problem. I need to talk to them about my rear tire too. A little over 2000 miles and the damn thing is down to the wear indicators. And I drive very conservatively.

Hi my trip meter is resetting at random miles also. Lodged complaint with the DOT also. Hope we can get this fixed soon.

For your info, a bunch of guys here in the UK already had theirs replaced under warranty and the rest of us are expecting a letter. Also there's a Honda website over here where you can enter your VIN number and find out if your bike is affected. I'll try and find out if it covers US bikes and post a link if it does.

The speedo recall is only on 2014 model nc700 x and xd. If your bike has been done there should be a punch mark on the right side of frame back from steering head below drain hole in frame tubing. Dale

I haven't gotten a letter yet and called the dealer on other matters and they told me the fix is a new meter and that they had put in an order for a meter.

I will be getting my new meter installed tomorrow to fix the problem, hopefully.

Back