• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Uninformed (aka stupid) dealer/service remarks

silverhound

Reaction score
Visit site
Brillot2000's post in another thread about a dealer stating that the DCT had a "centrifugal clutch" [read post here] got me to thinking about two experiences I've had with a dealer that made me turn tail and leave.

What are some classic bone-head statements that have been made to any of you from a dealer or other supplier of motorcycle parts/accessories?

Here's my two

When I was first looking for a Yamaha FJR1300 (2008) I went to my local Yamaha dealer. It's a smaller store and they ONLY carry the Yamaha brand. I walked in and asked the salesman if they had any FJR1300's and he stated, "No we only sell Yamaha bikes here". I didn't even bother to tell him that an FJR was a Yamaha because I knew right then, this wasn't the place to buy one even if they could have ordered it or gotten one from another dealer.

Same dealership (it was close and convenient), went to the parts dept and asked if they could get me a Michelin PR3 rear tire for my Blackbird. Parts girl looks in her books and says she only has pricing on the PR2 but she is sure it would be the same for a PR3. She then stated she would just order me the PR2 and she was sure the distributor would send the "latest model". I said that I was pretty sure it wouldn't be the same price nor would they just automatically send the PR3. I told her to forget it (both out of exasperation and concern this would turn into a big mess when the PR2 showed up). Never went back after that.

Yeah, I haven't gone back to mine since trying to order the service manual through them. I waited patiently for about 2.5 months after seeing on here where it had become available from the Helm website. Figured I'd give my local shop some dough, 2 and a half months later and couple trips in face to face to talk to some one and ask what's the delay? I finally cancelled that order and got one from Helm. This was after taking the bike to them for the chain recall. When I left they had put the new chain on with WAY TOO MUCH slack, almost to MAX adjustment! After those two incidents I've lost all hope for my dealership. They mostly cater to the agricultural customer anyways. Now, I order all my stuff online.

When I was first looking for a Yamaha FJR1300 (2008) I went to my local Yamaha dealer. It's a smaller store and they ONLY carry the Yamaha brand. I walked in and asked the salesman if they had any FJR1300's and he stated, "No we only sell Yamaha bikes here". I didn't even bother to tell him that an FJR was a Yamaha

I would have told the sales manager or owner.

Here's one - I was at a local Honda dealer, sitting on the CTX1300 - no, I don't want one, but was just curious about ergonomics and such.

Salesman walks over ... "what do you think?"
"Ah, cruisers aren't for me. It feels like the "front end" is way out in too far for me".
"What do you ride?"
" ... when not commuting, it's the ST1300".
"oh really ... you know the CTX1300 is the replacement for the ST"

Seriously ... I rolled my eyes and said, "are you serious? Is that what Honda marketing is touting?" ...
I got off the bike and picked up my parts at the parts counter.

Now days, most folks who own motorcycle dealerships are not motorcycle riders. For the most part, days of old when folks who owned motorcycle dealerships were also mechanics, salesmen, and parts people no longer exist.

I feel like we are skipping over the important part of the story. So was the parts girl cute?
I figure she was since you went back to the dealership twice. I wouldn't have gone back after the no FJR.

I feel like we are skipping over the important part of the story. So was the parts girl cute?
I figure she was since you went back to the dealership twice. I wouldn't have gone back after the no FJR.

Lol...I recall that she wasn't entirely not cute but I didn't see her on my first trip there about the FJR and since the second one was parts related I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt because I really wanted to give the local guy my business. In any case, she wasn't cute enough for me to try and teach her the difference between tires or waste anymore time there. :rolleyes:

While it is an hour away, the dealership I bought from is good. While they were getting the paperwork done three different people asked the salesman if he had checked to make sure the chain recall had been done. Salesman also printed out some kind of service bulletin about a second oil filter. I don't have a DCT but that did let me know the salesman had read up on the bike. He even knew about the manual compartment in the bottom of the frunk.

The woman that did the financing. WOW! She took the sting out of handing over a check.

The place I bought my NC from in Hillsboro had riders for salesmen, the guy I worked with was sharp! He knew everything about every bike on the floor, and in some cases was brutally honest about them and what he thought may have been a negative to a bike. I came in to buy the NC not shop, but it was cool nonetheless. Now my local dealership is another thing, 1 salesmen that is impossible to track down (shocking, lol), and horrid prices. They had a '12 model still on the floor as of May, for $2k more than my '13 cost at the other place, haha. I wanted to try and negotiate the price but couldn't find anyone in sales every time I stopped by.

Bama, did you buy in Searcy?

I bought mine at Sunrise Honda in Searcy. In my opinion they are a very good dealer. I won't lie. I've had one mishap but they made it right. My next bike will be bought there based off the treatment I've received on this first purchase.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Brillot2000's post in another thread about a dealer stating that the DCT had a "centrifugal clutch" [read post here] got me to thinking about two experiences I've had with a dealer that made me turn tail and leave.

silverhound, Thanks for the honorable mention. FYI to you all out there, the Dealership that made this comment was Honda of North Hollywood in North Hollywood, CA. They also have a dealership in Hollywood too. My buddy has bought motorcycles from them twice and had this to say about them being far worst than the NoHo dealership... :eek:

In 2005 I bought a Gold Wing from Sunrise in Searcy. I don't remember ever being in a dealership that friendly, from the sales floor to the shop. I bought the bike over the phone with a list of options/farkles. I didn't expect everything to be done as there was quiet a list. I arrived on Saturday for delivery and all was done. I was very pleased with the knowledge and service I received.

I bought mine in Russellville. Didn't really get any boneheaded comments but it took way longer than expected to install my accessories so they bought my son and I lunch at Fat Daddys BBQ. Turned out to be a good day.

In 2005 I bought a Gold Wing from Sunrise in Searcy. I don't remember ever being in a dealership that friendly, from the sales floor to the shop. I bought the bike over the phone with a list of options/farkles. I didn't expect everything to be done as there was quiet a list. I arrived on Saturday for delivery and all was done. I was very pleased with the knowledge and service I received.

Let me say one more thing about Searcy. I had just moved to Arkansas and was temporarily living in a hotel. I just opened a bank account. Hold that thought. I went there to trade a CBR for a used but newer Repsol CBR. I was only there to look but got talked into the NCX based off how I'd be using it. Yes, although I'd only be riding interstate he suggest the NCX. Anyway, I told them I only had temp checks. The ones that do not even have your name on them. The finance lady who has her crap together went and grabbed the owner. He just happened to be at the shop. He walked in the finance office and introduced himself. He looked me in the eye and asked if my $6,000 check would be good. I said yes sir. He looked at the finance lady and told her to accept it. I had an out of state license, a two day old checking account with blank checks, and did not have a permanent address. Now some of your guys may have a relationship with your dealers and that is no big deal but I had only been in this state maybe two weeks. I’d never been there before. I can tell you right now that would not have happened where I came from.

And BTW. This is the same dealer than gave me a 4 year 0% deductible warrently which included free maintenance for four years and my first set of tire free. I also get 10% off everything in the store. I have documentation to prove this. It cost me $799 for that paln.

Last edited:
People here know me as one who will support the local garage.
2 weeks ago, I seriously wanted to change my tires (ok ok, it's been like 1 year overdue).
So I looked online.
The Tourance NEXT (exact sizes) listed for 276chf (about 297 USD).
I went to a garage in Germany thinking it will be cheaper. They said no. It will be that price, plus installation of around 100euros. Yes, about USD 130.
That means it will come to say USD430.

I went to a local Honda garage where I bought this NCX, thinking he will give me a more reasonable price.
He said 500chf (537USD), he suggests a Michellin for 395chf (424USD).
This was even when I gave him the internet snagit picture of the tires prices.

Last week, I ordered the Tourance NEXT from Reifen online günstig kaufen @ ReifenDirekt.de: Winterreifen, Sommerreifen, Pkw-Reifen und Reifenhandel (direct from tire online shop) for 276chf. It arrived 5 days later at a "affiliated" install-partner (5 mins from my home) and he installed them for 40chf, I gave him 50chf.
Total cost to me: 326chf = 350usd.

I understand this is the most costly tires possible for dual-purpose touring tires, but I just gotta tell my story.

Let me say one more thing about Searcy. I had just moved to Arkansas and was temporarily living in a hotel. I just opened a bank account. Hold that thought. I went there to trade a CBR for a used but newer Repsol CBR. I was only there to look but got talked into the NCX based off how I'd be using it. Yes, although I'd only be riding interstate he suggest the NCX. Anyway, I told them I only had temp checks. The ones that do not even have your name on them. The finance lady who has her crap together went and grabbed the owner. He just happened to be at the shop. He walked in the finance office and introduced himself. He looked me in the eye and asked if my $6,000 check would be good. I said yes sir. He looked at the finance lady and told her to accept it. I had an out of state license, a two day old checking account with blank checks, and did not have a permanent address. Now some of your guys may have a relationship with your dealers and that is no big deal but I had only been in this state maybe two weeks. I’d never been there before. I can tell you right now that would not have happened where I came from.

And BTW. This is the same dealer than gave me a 4 year 0% deductible warrently which included free maintenance for four years and my first set of tire free. I also get 10% off everything in the store. I have documentation to prove this. It cost me $799 for that paln.
Some businesses still operate on good faith. If you were active duty or a veteran and the man knew it that then that might have given him a high level of trust as well.

Not really a dumb statement but one I got to correct. When I went in to ask about the time they would charge to replace my broken timing chain tensioner.,
without looking in the computer he says "Oh yeah, that's about 4-5 hours. All you have to do is take the head off...." . I interjected that it could be done in about 2 hrs w/o taking the head off. I had already done my research on line (thank you internet).
Instead of getting mad, he looked it up and agreed. I like that.
I did the job myself in about 1 1/2 hours thanks to my SHOP MANUAL.
Get one if you don't have one.

Some businesses still operate on good faith. If you were active duty or a veteran and the man knew it that then that might have given him a high level of trust as well.

I've met Chuck and he has that instantly trustworthy way about him :) But Sunrise is a damn fine dealer and Russellville Honda is top 5 in the country. I live with 5 miles of Richard's Honda in Little Rock (oldest Honda dealer in Ark.) and they treat me like gold there. Then again my wife feeds them homemade salsa, so it might not be all about me :D

Back