• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Your mirror might be the cause of your buffeting noise

mreric

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been trying to solve the buffeting noise that was coming from both side, I started to look around in forums on bike that are similar to our. like the Vstorm, many of them said that the mirror cause the buffeting due the very flat mirrors shape.

I went ahead and remove the NC's mirror even though the NC mirror look very well aerodynamically designed.

but after a few run the buffeting from the side seem to be gone. i have to run it a few more time. look like i will have to shop for different mirrors.

has anyone try this? if you have not .. are you willing to try it?

( running with no mirror is illegal)

Last edited:
I have long given up trying to combat buffeting. One could spend a lot of money doing so, replacing screens etc. In your case you will get new mirrors. Hopefully they will solve the problem but there is no guarantee that they will. Nowadays I just make as many adjustments as necessary to screens etc to reduce the buffeting to a minimum, and then stick in my earplugs. Regretfully I adopted ear plugs too late in life to prevent the damage that has been done to my hearing. However in using them now I have at least ensured that things do not get any worse.

I hope the mirror switch works for you. Be sure to report back and let everyone know. Like Giff, I just deal with it and wear earplugs at all times for the exact same reason.

Bar end mirrors would eliminate mirrors from the buffeting equation.

I've always like bikes that integrated the mirrors into the fairing, vs mounting them on the bars. NM4, for example! :D

I hope the mirror switch works for you. Be sure to report back and let everyone know. Like Giff, I just deal with it and wear earplugs at all times for the exact same reason.

i refuse to just deal with it by doing nothing about. my way of dealing with it is solving it, i will sell my NC if I cannot solve this, once you have ridden a bike that make no buffeting noise you will never go back

i wear earplug already,

make sure you put on the ear plug correctly . i did not know the proper way- and the difference
see this video from 3m - Fitting Foam Earplugs - YouTube

and not all ear plugs will fit you the same way, even thought the rating is the highest, is the fitting that is more important
go to ear plug store- buy a sample pack and try them all- i did and found out that way

Ear Plug Assortment Packs - Ear Plugs
"Like fingerprints, no two ear canals are exactly alike, so no one can accurately predict which ear plugs will work best for you in your application. Experimentation is the only reliable method we know of to find the right ear plugs for you"

the way motorcycle are design does not help the wind situation, most motorcycle do not go to the wind tunnel for noise test. and most helmet manufactured do not either. i already wear one of the quietest helmet in the market.

Last edited:
I got molded ear plugs about 4 years ago, cost about $65-70. Still fit perfectly and are comfortable for hours on end.

i refuse to just deal with it by doing nothing about. my way of dealing with it is solving it, i will sell my NC if I cannot solve this, once you have ridden a bike that make no buffeting noise you will never go back

I went the wrong way them. I rode CBRs for year. I did not have issues with buffeting or turbulent winds. I do with the NCX but the bike is so commuter friendly I can't seem to let it go. I do sympathize with you though. The buffeting sucks. If the mirror thing works let us know. I’ll be interested to see what happens and may change mine out if it works for you.

I went the wrong way them. I rode CBRs for year. I did not have issues with buffeting or turbulent winds. I do with the NCX but the bike is so commuter friendly I can't seem to let it go. I do sympathize with you though. The buffeting sucks. If the mirror thing works let us know. I’ll be interested to see what happens and may change mine out if it works for you.

from my experience it seem that is the bike height that is creating the noise. the lower the bike is to you in relation to your head and lower the buffeting, the bike entering against the wind create lots of wind noise.

I have ridden a Yamaha vino a 55mph and my head is so hi in the air in relation to the scooter that there is no noise. same with yamaha Fz07 and Zero RS.

but for the NC, the handle bar are higher then my belt line, meaning I am inside the turbulence zone create by the motorcycle .

I wish honda will create a DCT with a naked bike like the FZ07 from yamaha, this would solve our problems

i have to test the mirror theory a bit more. but seem to have worked last night. i need to do a few more run down the same roads. will post back.

now this can change depending on your height in relationship to the mirror height

I got molded ear plugs about 4 years ago, cost about $65-70. Still fit perfectly and are comfortable for hours on end.

Where did you find your molded ear plugs? I went to a Hearing Center recently to see about getting molded ones and was told they would cost $100 per ear. I lost interest fast. You can buy a lot of foam ones for that kind of money.

Air is weird. Maybe some Barkbusters on the handlebars would help with the mirror turbulence? If you don't want full metal frame handguards, Cyclegear has a set of single attach point plastic guards that would still work fine as aero fairings.

In the Texas summer heat, I have been running my bike with no windshield. This is the quietest configuration at speeds up to about 45-50 mph. I have an Arai SIgnet-Q and it really likes to be in clean air. It is really quiet if I stand straight up while riding. ANy turbulence from the bike, or even from my jacket collar, and the helmet gets noticeably louder. The Honda tall screen is better for me on the highway.

Last edited:
I just cut my stock windscreen down to only cover the instruments. No more buffeting.
Get a can of black plastidip and paint that windshield. It's will look great in black. And if you don't like the look-you can always remove it

Back