• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How to mount a GPS above the instrument cluster?

zirconx

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, my 2012 is all stock, and I'd like to mount a GPS above the instrument cluster. This looks really easy to do (I'm familiar with RAM stuff, have used it on many other bikes) if you have the Honda touring screen, since it gives you a nice bar above the cluster. But I really don't want to get the Honda touring screen, I plan to get a Puig screen.

Any ideas? I guess I could drill holes in the Puig screen and install a RAM ball but I'm not crazy about that idea.

Attachments

• 17411d1399564742-acerbis-vision-led-handguards-image.jpg
    17411d1399564742-acerbis-vision-led-handguards-image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 3,081
I've often thought about vaguely trying to duplicate the tubular bar/ bracket thingy that the Honda OEM touring screen mounts with, for such a purpose.

Of course with my limited abilities and imagination, it likely wouldn't be tubing, but more like a rather crude affair made out of Home Depot flat metal mending plates bolted together lol, but...

Here is one idea for mounting a GPS in your actual line-of-sight rather than off to the side or down low...Garmin 590 on a Touratech mount.....

IMG_5758-M.jpg

I'm using a National Cycle VStream windscreen and there is plenty of room for the GPS and Touratech to be mounted. I did have to remove the windscreen to reach the back side nuts on the Touratech (2 minute job).

IMG_5752-M.jpg

The GPS/mount has been in place for several thousand miles with no issues. I really like that the GPS is mounted up high, for me, it makes it easier to see.

IMG_5748-M.jpg

Slowly I'm turning my $8,000 motorcycle into a $12,000 motorcycle...hopefully this madness will soon stop...but I doubt it ;-)

IMG_5757-M.jpg

Last edited:
I needed to have the GPS a little closer to me. I had to place it where my bifocals worked the best. And it makes it easier to use the buttons on my 276c. I fabricated a simple bracket that connect at the bar clamps. This is what I see sitting on the bike. Maybe something like this would work for you?

002.jpg

ld_rider - thanks, I didn't know the National Cycle shield also bad a bar in it. That is good to know. How do you like the shield? I was planning on getting the Puig screen, the National Cycle is $100 more.

Gigar Mike - thanks for the photo. I am hoping to get it mounted up higher so I don't have to look down so much to see it.

Anyone know of other shields that have a bracket in them?

Last edited:
ld_rider - thanks, I didn't know the National Cycle shield also bad a bar in it. That is good to know. How do you like the shield?
I like the Vstream much better than the stock shield the motorcycle came with. During the school year I commute about 50 miles/day on Interstate 95 and I find the screen works fine. Nothing like a GL1800 (what is?) but not bad. It makes travel (for me) much more pleasant. I'm about 5'10" with a 32 inch inseam and if I scrunch down a bit it gets really nice and quiet...Might look into adding some sort of air deflector on the top to see if it has the same effect..Don't get me wrong, it is pretty good as is, if it were two inches taller it would be <perfect> (for me)..I can easily see over it.

The mounts for the shield are pretty robust...I've never seen the screen flutter or move, even at ah, elevated speeds.

I really couldn't ride this motorcycle for any distance with the stock screen..it was just too tiring and for me, getting beat up by the wind isn't fun. The Vstream is one reason I've kept the bike and hope to turn it into a suitable long distance mount, but a <lite> one ;-)

This is a pic of the mount without the GPS attached:

IMG_5673-M.jpg

That white hockey puck thing is my TransPass for all the freaking tolls in the New England area.

IMG_5672-M.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Resurrecting this thread as I saw this on eBay. Very intriguing design. I would think you’d need Dales nut plates to beef up the windshield mounting holes, and maybe longer mounting bolts depending on your windshield arrangement. But I like the concept
HONDA NC700 GPS Phone Holder, CosmoMotoAccessories
I like that it would get my phone w/dashcam app out of the wind stream (very noisy) but that price plus shipping is ridiculous.

I didn’t think $53 for a powder coated metal mount delivered from Germany was all that bad - given that plastic bits for bike are always a lot of money.

I like having the GPS mounted closer to eye level - mine is there now in a jury-rigged way. I think mine is interfering with air flow under my CalSci screen that is causing turbulence at the top of my helmet, so I’m going to put the back on the tree mount and see how that does.

If that doesn’t fix the air flow issue, I may get one of these mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Resurrecting this thread as I saw this on eBay. Very intriguing design. I would think you’d need Dales nut plates to beef up the windshield mounting holes, and maybe longer mounting bolts depending on your windshield arrangement. But I like the concept
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Q~oAAOSwDFBaTLl1/s-l300.jpg

HONDA NC700 GPS Phone Holder, CosmoMotoAccessories | eBay
Looking at its description, it is listed with a universal fit which may be in error. Is the bolt pattern designed for the 2012 to 2015 models or the 2016 to current models? The bolt pattern changed on the 2016 model from previous years models.

Ray

Looking at its description, it is listed with a universal fit which may be in error. Is the bolt pattern designed for the 2012 to 2015 models or the 2016 to current models? The bolt pattern changed on the 2016 model from previous years models.

Ray

Not only that, it just says NC700. Is that for X or S, or both?

I contacted the seller for more details.

I just got this response from the seller to my question:

“it fits nc700 and nc700x 2016 to 2018”

Ray

I got the same reply. I know what NC700X is, but don't know what they mean by "NC700." There's no sense in going in circles with them. At least we know the years.

the really nice thing about this base plate concept is it would work with any windscreen -- no cross bar required. I wrote the seller and suggested they make a version for the 2012-2015 bolt pattern, given the relatively higher number of those bikes out there. Wondering how hard it would be to make such a plate out of some simple aluminum.

the really nice thing about this base plate concept is it would work with any windscreen -- no cross bar required. I wrote the seller and suggested they make a version for the 2012-2015 bolt pattern, given the relatively higher number of those bikes out there. Wondering how hard it would be to make such a plate out of some simple aluminum.
Your right, base plates are nice. Madstad used a base plate on early models of NC’s as part of their windscreen mounting system. Here is my previously owned 2012.

4D731907-7A4E-4EA1-B421-633D0FE1F20C.jpg

And here with my Garmin Nüvi 2797Lmt w/RAM locking mount mounted solidly to the plate.

8A707D46-94F2-489C-BCAA-C76C9A9A8513.jpg

I tried in vain to adapt this plate to my 2016, giving up when the curved angles thwarted my efforts.

I believe the plate was steel, not sure aluminum would take the vibration. (Full disclosure, I’m not a metallurgist nor play one on TV.)

Ray

Last edited:
Hello - new owner of a 2020 NC750X, here in Fort Worth, TX. I too am looking for a way to mount a GPS above the instrument cluster. All of these posts are for bikes that are prior to 2018 or so. Does anyone know if the connection bolts location/distance and the stock shield changed within the last couple of years? Honestly I don't mind the stock windshield. My previous bike was a 2010 Bonneville and the screen on that cause massive buffeting. This one, atleast for me, is fine. Thanks for any feedback.

Back