• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Washington State - July Trip ??

Bullseye

Reaction score
Visit site
I am planning a trip (mid-July for 10 days) ....and I thinking I want to "explore" Washington State !!!!! I have never been to Seattle and area....and after I looked at the map and studying the area....I think I want to go down and explore.

What should I see ??? Where should I go ?? What sights or spots are a "must" see ??? (Remember my NC is set-up for gravel too)

Just from looking at the map I want to do Hwy 101 around Olympic National Park and then maybe over to Mt St. Helens and Mt Rainer. But I am open minded and like just to "fly by the seat of my pants" so to speak. I like a "no place to be tonight" type vacation. I don't mind 20 minutes, 20 miles, 200 miles, or a full day, etc. down the road, just what ever I am in the mood for. (and the weather of course).

Thanks for your imput and I am look forward to making this a awesome vacation !!!

Just read Northwest riders "wabdr 2014" post...sure wished I could make it to that !!!!! NOW I am super excited for my trip after seeing the posts and pics in his post !!!

I really enjoyed the 112 from Port Angeles to Cape Flattery (the northwest tip of the Olympic Peninsula). The road up to Hurricane Ridge in Olympic NP was a good run, too. I'm sure some of the locals will chime in with their suggestions soon.

Olympic Peninsula is an awesome ride :cool:

I also really dug Eastern Wa. (specially cause it was so nice and dry, leaving a wet Vancouver, lol) If you've hung around Drumheller and enjoyed the desert-like feeling, you'll know what I mean.

I *think* this was right near the Washington/Oregon border south of Yakima/north of Pendleton-ish. Less than a mile from this gas station, my buddy and I got low buzzed by a couple fighter jets playing out there, it was so totally cool :eek: :D

washington petrol.jpg

Have a blast and say hi to some of our Washington NCX peeps if you can! :)

I don't know if you plan on doing any sight seeing off the bike but a popular spot in Seattle is Pike Place Market. Pike Place Market
They also have an underground tour. https://www.undergroundtour.com/

I'll leave the riding routes for the guys that live there now. I lived in Washington State for my first 21 years of life so I only rode there six years and most of that was north of Seattle. My family is from the Everett area. Seattle has grown a lot since I left but I used to enjoy riding Hwy 20 out of Burlington either direction. Deception Pass is pretty cool. You can actually see small whirpool looking funnels in the water at times. Take it out to Whidbey Island. I've been to Fort Casey several times. Fort Casey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From there you could hop a ferry to Mukilteo and make your way back to I-5. Then head to your next destination. You can also take Hwy 20 east out of Burlington which is a really nice ride through the monutains. Catch 97 south to Hwy 2 and head back west to the Seattle area.

I've ridden Hwy 101 but it's been a long time. That road can get a little busy. Not sure how it is now. I used to spend a lot of time in Oceans Shores. If you looking for a day to relax it is a nice area. Was anyway.

You'll have a blast no matter where you end up. I've only been to WA once and that was to Spokane in the '60s. All I remember was everything was green - my favorite color (talking about plants). I remember seeing lots of mountains.
That wabdr thing looks like a trip worthy thing to do all by itself!

Some must ride roads (IMO) in WA are:
Hwy 20 (North Cascades Hwy) between Hwy 97 and Interstate I-5 - only open in summer and has breathtaking mountain views.
Hwy 410 between Mt Rainier and Yakima - suggest entering Mt Rainier park in the southwest corner and connecting with 410 to Yakima across 2 beautiful mountain passes.
National Forest roads 25 and 99 on the east side of Mt St Helens - paved, VERY twisty roads through forest that are rough in some spots with views of the mountain.
There's lots of options for connecting these roads together, depending on how much riding vs sightseeing you want to do each day.

Give me a Sunday in mid-July and I'd love to take a ride with you. Check out the albums in my profile for some of the day trips around here....

Thanks every one for the input.... great fun researching all these suggestions. Keep them coming ..... I love map reading !!!!

I just hope weather is decent. Last year (mind you it was last week of June/1st week in July) my trip to Vancouver Island and Alaska was nothing but RAIN !!! Everyday of my trip rain, drizzle, sprinkles, downpours with just a few sunny breaks....all 10 days. Broke me in hard BUT now I can vacation in ANY weather !!! LOL

I just hope weather is decent. Last year (mind you it was last week of June/1st week in July) my trip to Vancouver Island and Alaska was nothing but RAIN !!!

The general rule here in western WA is that summer doesn't begin until after the 4th of July weekend, so you should have good weather during your time frame. Eastern WA is a totally different climate and you can expect on rain and hot weather over there.

Thanks Dan H.....
I think I will be coming across on Hwy 20 by Winthrop over to Mt Vernon. Thinking maybe then continue on Hwy 20 to Oak Harbour and continue south on Hwy 525. And then take a ferry ????? And then continue around Olympic National Park on Hwy 101. Again just flying by the seat of my pants !!

Still studying my maps and reading lots BUT really appreciate all the input I can get on sights and places to see from "fellow bikers" !!

There are some excellent suggestions already. The North Cascades Highway is a must. If you have time when you go around Mt. Rainier, a wonderful side trip is Tipsoo Lake on the east side. Park the bike and take your camera as you make your way around the trail. It will come out to a view of Mt, Rainier that looks like it should be on a postcard. (It is!)

The Windy Ridge access of Mt. St. Helens on NF 99 has some fantastic roads and incredible views as you ride through the blast zone of the eruption.

Last Saturday, I went over to Cape Flattery. Hwy 112 has a section that is full of twists and turns - with none of it flat. The cape itself, is spectacular. When you leave, head south a few miles and take the trail to the Shi Shi beach.

But my favorite ride is to Artist Point on Mt. Baker. One summer, I went up there 3 times. When the road from Heather Meadows to Artist Point is open (late July), the tight switchbacks that you've been riding to this point, become even tighter. Some are so tight that 15 mph would be too fast. When you get there, park the bike and again, bring your camera. There are two trails leading from the parking lot thatf lead out to some jaw- dropping scenery. On the way out, take a short walk on the trails near Heather Meadows.

Chris

You might want to check the books, Motorcycle Journeys Through the Pacific Northwest by Bruce Hansen, and Motorcycle Touring in the Pacific Northwest by Christy Karras and Stephen M. Zusy. Both have good descriptions and maps of different trips, with some suggestions on lodging and places to eat.

Wellllllllll, I am planning on leaving Sunday and making it to Lethbridge to stay with family..... then I leave Alberta on Monday ...going thru Logan's Pass (Road to the Sun) in Glacier National Park then WEST ...see how far I make it...thinking I should be Seattle area by Tuesday evening or Wednesday.

Ohhhh and by the way ...... it's a SOLO trip !!! All my buddy's bailed on me or work/life has gotten in the way for them !!! Hope all goes well..... I am riding a Honda soooooo what could go wrong ????? LOL

I really enjoyed the 112 from Port Angeles to Cape Flattery (the northwest tip of the Olympic Peninsula). The road up to Hurricane Ridge in Olympic NP was a good run, too. I'm sure some of the locals will chime in with their suggestions soon.

This is one location that I am seriously wanting to check out !!

Looks like the fires in north-central Washington might put a kink into what roads I come across on !! Might have to zig-zag abit to get to Seattle area. Hope its not too smokey there as well !!

Wellllll... my Washington trip turned out to be just a easy tour of southern Alberta and Montana. Went to "road-to-the-sun" and "waterton" and enjoyed the heat (+30C)

Attachments

• IMG_7858.jpg
    IMG_7858.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7874.jpg
    IMG_7874.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 41
Back