• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Driving lights.

Porko

Reaction score
Visit site
Installed a pair of trailtech HID 30 watt lights yesterday, be sure they are legal were you live if you plan to install a set of these. They are very bright, no moon last night so it was perfect for setting them on a back road. Easy 3 maybe 4 times more long distance vision over stock high beam. HID's are not designed for turning on and off a lot, they take a few seconds to fire when turned on and build into an intense beam over a few more seconds so if you are in oncoming traffic buy LED's which are instant on-off or like I plan run both. HID spots for long distance in both ditches for critters and LED floods in closer with more angle into the ditches. I run a lot of open road at night without much traffic so HID's work great. Ride Safe.

Attachments

• Sally+Baby 007.jpg
    Sally+Baby 007.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 343
Neat, and I am really liking your CalSci shield. Those guys have the science down pat.

Your comment regarding warm-up time for the HID's is why I chose to do a main beam replacement of the stock light with the bi-xenon projector HID. The burner stays on at all times and a solenoid changes it between low and high beam, so warm-up is only when I start the bike. Actually the lamp has a CCFL Angel Eye and I have built the circuit so that it wakes up in Angel Eye when the bike starts. However, if you select the high beam, the xenon high beam comes on. Thereafter if you press low beam, the xenon stays on and switches to low rather than switching back to Angel Eye and turning off the burner. I did this so it would not be possible to fast-cycle the HID by switching in and out of Angel Eye. Once I light the HID, it will only go back to Angel Eye when I stop and re-start the bike. Sometimes untrained button-pushers ride my bikes and also, I like to set them up for multiple use of existing switches rather than adding switches when possible.

I recall a warning in the owner's manual of an HID flashlight that said if an HID is run for less than a minute or two per burn you can plate the inside of the tube and cause light reduction and eventually overheating and failure. They recommended at least letting it come up to full brightness before shutting it off. Further, every re-strike is putting 23,000 volts to the lamp and causing some arcing wear on the electrodes. The ballast lowers the voltage after the ignition strike to only what is necessary to maintain the burn. Bulb life is as much or more dependent on number of starts as it is on hours of operation.

Lots of the Iron Butt crowd use HID's for driving lights for long runs on deserted highways and they are extensively used in off-road and desert vehicles. If your riding allows them to run for reasonable periods of time they will do quite well.

Porko, nice work. Question, what's that extension unit near the back seat. I was thinking of acquiring something like that for my ride...model/part number would be great. Thanks and have a super weekend.

Porko- they look great, where did the grip covers come from? I see you have not changed your horn yet, is that on your list?

MY new Cal shield arrives Wednesday!

They look the same as mine. If so, they are Cycra Probends...

View attachment 388View attachment 390

I will have info on a twin Fiamm horn upgrade pretty soon as well.

Porko- they look great, where did the grip covers come from? I see you have not changed your horn yet, is that on your list?

MY new Cal shield arrives Wednesday!
Yep. Pro-bends, and yes the (horn?) if you call it that is a must change, need a few other things first. I'm likeing the Cal Shield.

Yes HID's are not for on-off situations I agree, Lots of open road around me that are full of critters I'll use the flame throwers when there is very little traffic, plan on mounting a pair of Tesla flood LED's both off in each ditch, fast start time, I'll switch them also so I can leave right ditch on, turn left traffic side off when there are a lot of glowing eyeballs in the ditches when meeting traffic if need be. Deer like coming in at you from your side (fast) when they panic. Ride Safe.

I have a (pair of) FIAMM AM80 waiting in the pool for some free time to fit them. They sound much better than the stock one. I plan to fit only one of them, not the two

@Porko, nice bike BTW. I would like to be (legally) able to fit those lights, by your comments they must be fantastic

Back