• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Running the engine in from new

Jelly

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I've got a 750 DCT coming and was just wondering what the running procedure will be?

I know there are two trains of thought regarding running in a new engine, either taking it easy or giving it a damn good thrashing.

I'll be taking the first option for sure but what I'd like to know is this, what does the manual advise for this, I'm guessing it'll just stay in D mode for the first 600 miles, or is it best to use all the gearbox modes but just take it easy?

Ah many thanks, I searched using as many different ways of phrasing it as I weren't sure what you guys would call it, breaking in, I didn't think of that one.

The first bit of advice I would give you is do not do short journeys on it from first start up. Spin it freely and do not allow the engine to lug. I picked mine up at the shop and went straight out to the countryside where I promptly put 150kms on it before I brought it home. I used backroads so that the gearbox was used a lot. Steady cruising even at run in pace is a total no no.

Its in the owners manual

Edited to add ..... dealer suggested dino oil for first change, and wait for second before using synthetic to allow best break-in.
My last BMW I remember this was their suggestion as well.

Last edited:
Its in the owners manual

Edited to add ..... dealer suggested dino oil for first change, and wait for second before using synthetic to allow best break-in.
My last BMW I remember this was their suggestion as well.

I think that is generally true with engine break-in. You don't want the anti-friction additives in a synthetic oil. You are wanting wear to polish the mating surfaces clean. Then once that is done, you want to preserve the polish and get long life with a good synthetic.

I honestly don't see much need or use in switching to a full synthetic after break-in or at any time. It runs fine on dinosaur juice so why use synthetic? If this was preferred by the factory, it would be clearly stated in the owner's manual.

I agree. Good dino changed when it gets dirty is better than neglected synthetic, surely. I've run Pennzoil 10-40 dino for decades in all sorts of engines with fine results.

True that. Clean anything is better than stretching miles out of synth.

Esp considering its water cooled.
Air cooled M/Cs can reach breakdown temp of dino oils on hot days, esp on traffic

I agree. Good dino changed when it gets dirty is better than neglected synthetic, surely. I've run Pennzoil 10-40 dino for decades in all sorts of engines with fine results.

Changed when it gets dirty? Exactly when is that? And what causes it to get dirty, it's a closed system other than exhaust blow-by (then by extension what causes increased blow-by?)?
I've run synthetic for decades, at extended change intervals, with fine results.

Hi all,
I've got a 750 DCT coming and was just wondering what the running procedure will be?

You have two options:

1. Read the manual written by the engineers that designed the drivetrain

2. Ask a bunch of random dudes on an Internet forum.

I like option 1 myself ;-)

Back