• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Do I Need a Centerstand?

Hollow Road Rider

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My NC700 is my seventh bike (over 40 years) and the first one without a centerstand. When I first bought it I thought that the centerstand would be my first project. Now, a month later, I wonder if I need one.

Why did you centerstand users get one? For maintenance?

For me, it was maintenance purpose. For example: chain maintenance.
also, when I don't ride my bike for a long period of time. I leave it on the center stand.

ken

It's good for chain lubing, chain adjustment, rear wheel removal, front wheel removal, changing fork oil (removing forks), and many other repairs/maintenance.

If you just ride and don't do any of your own service, you probably could do without the center stand, otherwise it's a must. In my opinion, the ONLY reason it's not standard is so Honda could make a little more money on the bike sale. It is really the only item that could be left off the bike (except maybe the fenders, the passenger accommodations, and some bodywork) and still make for a usable vehicle.

Greg

I have long given up on buying centrestands for motorcycles. If they come with one then that is good. I have two paddock stands that fit all bikes, so I use them when changing wheels/tyres etc. For chain lubing on the road, I have a stick. Yes, a stick. It is of rectangular cross section 3.5CM X 2CM, and made of pine. It is 37.5CM long and fits snugly inside the storage area on the NC. To use it I place one end under the head of the rear axle on the right side, and then putting my shoulder to the bike I get the wheel sufficiently off the ground to allow it spin freely. The stick is now a prop to keep it there. I can then spin the wheel to lube the chain. I have even used it to get the rear wheel out of my KTM dirt bike when I had a puncture. The Germans have "invented" a similar item from Aluminium, but there is a considerable cost not too far removed from the cost of a centrestand. Do I need a centrestand. No !

TBH if you have to ask, you don't need a center stand.
For me, it was a bonus.

For oiling the chain and so on, there are other methods.
:p

I've just taken to lubing the parts of the chain I can get to every time after I gas up... thinking I'll save the cash for a center stand for a auto oiler... and maybe a stick like grump mentioned (I've actually used a stick before, but haven't found one I really like enough to keep on the bike full time) when I do feel like being through and inspecting the rear tire and chain all the way around.

For every argument I can make for having a centre stand, there is a valid opposing view as to why not to have one.

I want one, therefore I have one.

I like to use mine for:

-chain lubing and tightening
-front or rear wheel removal
-bodywork removal and general maintenance
-petrol filling
-tire inspection and adding air
-sitting on the bike/getting on and off the bike, while trying to determine various ergonomic and farkle changes (bar risers, GPS placement, hand gaurds, etc.) with the bike level, versus tilted at a neck craning angle.

Do I NEED a centre stand for any of this? No. Do I love having it handy anywhere I go, and not have to resort to paddock stands or sticks? YES.

:)

Chain maint. requires a centerstand IMO. I was fitting some highway pegs and was able to test positioning much easier with the centerstand. Heck, I put the NCX on the centerstand to put gas in :D

I have long given up on buying centrestands for motorcycles. If they come with one then that is good. I have two paddock stands that fit all bikes, QUOTE]

What is a paddock stand?

Thanks

Paddock stand.jpg

I suppose the best way to describe one is to show it to you. I have one for the rear also. Two of my bikes have no mounting brackets for Centrestands and that is why I have them. However they are also useful for the NC

The problem I have with paddock stands though, is that you can't do this:

Ricor%20001.jpg

and even if you could, maybe using a type that supports a bike through the bottom of the steering head, I was 50 km's away from home at a friend's garage to do the work. Trying to drag a paddock stand with me on my bike would have sucked, I'm sure lol

The problem I have with paddock stands though, is that you can't do this: ...

True, but you can only do that if you have a skid plate installed -- correct?

Nah, I can answer my own post. Without the weight of the front end, the center of gravity shifts to the back of the bike OR you can weight down the rear end -- nevermind!

Last edited:
True, but you can only do that if you have a skid plate installed -- correct?

Nah, I can answer my own post. Without the weight of the front end, the center of gravity shifts to the back of the bike OR you can weight down the rear end -- nevermind!

Just to be safe I wedged a jack under there. Without the skidplate, I would have just stuck a piece of wood betwen the jack and bottom of engine, no worries. I think my bike is pretty close to exactly 50/50 balance point the way it's set up with accessories, depending on which tire I'm dealing with, it takes very little weight at the other end to raise the side I want to work on. :)

I have a centerstand because it was on the bike when I bought it. Mine was equipped with, I believe, every Honda-branded accessory available in the USA apart from the top case and the platform it latches to. I added those afterwards. :)

Now, that said, the centerstand is SO, SO helpful! Taking off the forks for the Gold Valve install was a piece of cake. Chain maintenance and replacement, tire replacement, and almost any other type of maintenance that comes easily to mind is TONS easier with a centerstand.

I have the same kinds of stands that Grump from Wicklow posted pics of. I bought them for my CBR rather than trying to import a centerstand from Europe for that bike. I still have them, and in fact would happily sell them to anyone here who wants/needs some. They're great if they're all you have, but they're nothing compared to a centerstand, for convenience. And the cost of the centerstand, even at list price, makes it about too good to pass up, for me.

when I was a young man - it seemed a centerstand was a must and all bikes had them...now they are an option. Why? Money. More for Honda, less for you. I put a centerstand on my NC first thing. In my mind it is a must have item.

Back