• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On long rides I have already found out I can open the storage compartment to drink some water or grab a snack while riding. The air flow around the bike does not lift open the door when left unlatched but I still did not want to leave it this way. If the door flies open when riding the windblast would probably damage the tether or hinge. There are also times when stopped that I'll want to access the storage compartment or open the gas filler compartment without having to turn off the bike and use the ignition key. I made a key with a knob for this and the key can stay in the lock when I am riding or the bike is out in my garage. This key is not long enough to start the bike.

I started by getting a spare key made. The blank is an Ilco x265, also known as an HD109. This blank is not long enough to turn the ignition switch so a thief could not start the bike. The knob is a standard black plastic cap used on many cleaner or chemical products. When I leave the bike out of sight this key drops into the compartment and is locked away or slips in my jacket with the ignition key.

IMG_8779.jpg

I cut the key blank down so the completed key knob fits close to the top of the compartment.

IMG_8782.jpg

I mixed up some 5 minute epoxy and poured it into the cap and set the key upright.

IMG_8785.jpg

The finished compartment key in place. I think it blends in well.

IMG_8787.jpg

Last edited:
That is a great idea...thanks for sharing! I have seen this done on Goldwings also where they use a radio knob in place of the cap.

I actually bought a Radio Shack universal radio knob and was going to use it but the key has to be cut down even more and then filed down narrower so the upper part of the blank fits into the set screw of the knob. I made one of these for my ST1300 and did it using a Radio Shack knob. For this one I saw the cap on a can of window cleaner and thought to myself that the width of the blank was just right to fit inside the cap - and it was. Pure laziness on my part.

Last edited:
Great job Dave! I found that the cover will open at certain speeds, conditions. You saved me some time!
Thanks!

Nice job! one of my riding buddies has done this on his metric cruiser using an old plastic chrome bar end cover. So, the chrome cap looks like it's part of the ignition switch on his bike.

Hi Dave,
Innovation is the mother of all invention...

Erm...could it be a little more "flushed"...like a semi-sphere?
But this also means you have to have the bike in sight whenever you park (or you need to remember to remove the key always).
My workaround is I leave the cover un-clicked. It only came up once at 130kmh. Only once.
Next I am thinking of putting a camelpak inside with the tube attached....drink and drive has a totally new meaning then.
:D

Keep those innovative pictures coming!
Yay!

Great Idea on the key, actually the x265 HD 109 is the ignition blank and will start the bike, left key in pic x246 right x265. The X246. HD105 is shorter ,no cutting, and it being short it seems ok to leave in while riding without a cap. I like your cap idea, have a black one already eyeballed for mine. Ride safe.

Attachments

• key 009.jpg
    key 009.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 1,556
Last edited:
Great Idea on the key, actually the x265 HD 109 is the ignition blank and will start the bike, left key in pic x246 right x265. The X246. HD105 is shorter ,no cutting, and it being short it seems ok to leave in while riding without a cap. I like your cap idea, have a black one already eyeballed for mine. Ride safe.
No, the x265 blank is only grooved 28 mm long, the Honda ignition key is grooved 38 mm so the x265 does not go all the way into the ignition switch and won't start the bike. The other key is a good option - unless you want to place a knob on it then it is too short.

I went through this with bag keys for my ST1300 Pan.

Great idea. Here's mine:

DSC00379.jpg

Not sure what that cap is from, just found it in the garage. Used a two part putty epoxy to set the key (I notched the key to to give the epoxy some holds).

I went with the Goldwing audio knob. I had two HD109 blanks cut at Ace Hardware and made up a black and a chrome key knob. You have to cut off the head of the key and file down the sides a little to fit it into the knob, then glue it in place with epoxy or JB Weld. You can order the black knobs from your friendly Honda dealership (part number 39113-MCA-671). The chrome ones are made by Show Chrome (part number 52-709). The Honda ones have a metal clip installed which must be removed before you can insert the key.
Personally, I like the look of the chrome better than the black. I think it goes well with the chrome handlebar bolts. The black knobs work better though. The black knobs have a grippy surface while the chrome is pretty slippery. On my bike, it takes a fair amount of force to turn the key, and the slick chrome makes it a bit of a challenge. Either way, if you take your time making it and get the key length where the knob just clears the not-a-tank surface, IMHO it comes out looking really nice.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Thought I'd post some pictures of what the key knob looks like if you use the GoldWing audio knob, part number 39113-MCA-671.
IMG_0034.jpg

I also made one with a chrome version of the knob made by Showchrome, and I used a smaller knob from the hardware store to use on my Givi luggage. FWIW it turned out the chrome knob was a bad idea. The chrome makes it really hard to grip. The Givi key knob is really handy though.
IMG_0046.jpg

Bob

Nice solution! But as I know, the NC has an immobiliser system, you can see on the dash ( H.I.S.S.). So a single blank key won't start the engine!
I have to do sg similar, I always afraid enclosing the keys into the frunk.

Mike,
I think Key knobs should still work on the frunk of bikes equipped with H.I.S.S. I think the ignition lock is the only one equipped to read the chipped key. A non HISS blank should operate the frunk lock.

Bob

Bob is right.

The transducer in the key fob is read by the ignition lock which recognizes the code in the transducer and allows the ignition to fire. The lock on the frunk is just a normal mechanical lock. If you're worried about locking your bike keys in there then it's not a bad idea just to get a cheap copy of your ignition key cut at a locksmith (without the bulky fob) and keep it with you all the time.

In the US they don't have the same insurance pressure that we have in Europe so I think their bikes don't have HISS to start with - although it's as easy to close one of their keys in the frunk as it is one of ours.

Back