• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT for 8,150 or manual for 6,400?

Nch734

Reaction score
Visit site
Title says it all. This weekend im either buying a manual for 6,400 or a DCT for 8,150. What do you think I should do??

Manual and spend the difference on farkles! Seriously though I'd advice if you enjoy manually working a clutch then go manual otherwise go DCT since really the only thing beside money you are giving up with the DCT is manually operating the clutch and you are gaining the ability to not have to shift.

I think you are opening yourself to a lot of biased replies. Just ask yourself if you really want the DCT, and if it is worth the almost $2000 difference. I personally had no desire to have the DCT so I really didn't consider the price difference. BTW, $6400 is exactly what I paid in February for my manual and there wasn't a DCT available to consider anyway.

Assuming these are both 2012s, I'm not sure how good the DCT price is since the 2013 DCT price dropped.

Dan

Buy what YOU want. It's your decision.

Greg

I'd go for DCT ABS, I am amazingly impressed with how good the shifting is in DCT Sports mode and ABS never hurts. But that's just my personal preference and I have another manual bike in my garage that I ride more than the Honda.

If you CANNOT shift manually, then the choice is clear.
If you CAN and WILL shift manually, I'd still go for manual. It takes a real man.....na...just kidding.

I would take the manual unless you are a techie freak or injured hand.
:D

if your previous experience was a scooter, then I think the DCT version the right choice if already accustomed to manual , buy the manual and spend the difference on accessories.

Buy what you like, if not buy you love, will always be thinking on the other possibility.

Hi. Iam going to purchase an Nc700x in a months time and have not been able to decide between manual or dct. Well, eariler this week I test rode both, which is something you should do if possible.
I love the bike and it fits me perfectly and feels great on the road. I found that while the manual is easy to ride with silky smooth gear shifts, the 6250rpm redline is an issue for me and this is where the dct comes into its own. Im sure the bike was made with the dct in mind and the manual secondary. I ride both relaxed and spiritedly which is why i will get the dct however if you are a calm and relaxed rider the manual is great. Im sure id get used to the short change but the bike just felt right with dct in my opinion.
We are all different which is why a test ride is best. Helped me make my decision.
Good luck.

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago i bought a New 2012 NC700X (dealer still had a New 2012 in stock), they go for $6999.00 I paid $6800.00, No Tax in Oregon :), and $6.00 for DMV license plate transfer Fee, I did a License plate transfer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the point I was trying to make is that the DCT technology is really amazing state-of-the-art stuff. This is a second generation system and it seems Honda finally got it figured out. A manual clutch is a lot of fun, and I enjoy it as much as the next guy. But as much as I love a manual clutch, the DCT impressed me enough to make it worthwhile. It is still a manual gearbox, I can still drop a gear on demand, I can still select gears manually, but all the shifting is lighting fast thanks to the computer controlled clutch.

If a lot of your riding will be in an urban environment, you might want to take a hard look at the DCT model. In any case, test ride both if you can.

Manual and spend the difference on farkles! Seriously though I'd advice if you enjoy manually working a clutch then go manual otherwise go DCT since really the only thing beside money you are giving up with the DCT is manually operating the clutch and you are gaining the ability to not have to shift.

The only thig you give up with the dct is the ability to pop a wheely...lol.

You can override the auto function while driving in auto without having to switch to manual. You can always downshift (and upshift if your RPM's are high enough) no matter what mode you are in.

I have the dct and it is AMAZING !!! especially in the city and in traffic. NO CLUTCH, SHIFT, GEAR, BRAKE DANCING... just cruising!!! THe throttle/transmission response is excellent. If you gas it, even in D not S, it will hold the shift point out because it knows you are trying to gain speed quickly. Or you can simply go Manual mode all the way...

Second, it shifts faster and smarter than a human can. No one knows better than the motorcycle brain when the optimum shift time is for the given load, slope, and speed, and acceleration level. And if you want it altered for whatever reason, simply hit the paddle. It will listen to you.... not to mention, you blow everyone away on the line because they are fumbling with first and second gear.....

My opinion: 7500 miles, and I LOVE THE DCT !!!

For me the DCT was never really an option, first I'm too cheap to spend an extra $2000 on that, second I like to twist that throttle and the thought of less horsepower and more weight for the DCT made it a never gonna happen for me.

How much less horsepower? I don't know. I burn those 1000's off the line all day long... They're bumbling with 1st and 2nd, and I am already down the road. (and they have the funniest looks on their faces when we get to the next light...lol) ... If I was concerned with a manual shift and super top speed, I would have bought a different bike to begin with.

I think I would burn a manual NC700 too. It's just waaaay faster at being in gear already and shifting through the next ones. My GPR exhaust seems to make the bike a bit more responsive as well...

I am only about 155 lb. so maybe if I was 220+ I would be more concerned with the extra drag, but I really think it's negligible In my case.
Also, I twist the shit outta that throttle...lol.

Plus, anyone that has experienced the 405 clutch/brake/shift/gas/clutch/gas/brake/clutch/shift/brake/clutch/gas/brake/clutch shuffle, will dramatically appreciate the DCT.

And safety.. with your focus off of all that nonsense you are able to pay much better attention to surrounding traffic and mentally challenged drivers trying to nail you....lol

Open road? Just hit S, and cruise it Bruddah.... you can down/up shift any time you want, in any mode.

It's all going to be personal preference.... Remember though... Not too long ago, Ferrari and Lambo driver's scoffed at the idea of a dual-clutch/paddle shift/automatic trans, but now you can hardly find them without one. That has to mean something......

Last edited:
Nah, your 4 horsepower down and 35 pounds heavier. You can "think" you would burn a manual, and if the rider didn't know what he was doing, you might, but I would show you the taillight quick fast and in a hurry!! :)

Just a personal point of view I experianced DCT on my VFR1200 and would now always prefer to have a manual as I want to choose which gear I'm in as this makes me feel as though I'm more involved in riding the bike. Having said that I know many people are really happy with their DCT models so it really is just a matter of personal preference. I really would not want to say that one version is better than other

Plus, anyone that has experienced the 405 clutch/brake/shift/gas/clutch/gas/brake/clutch/shift/brake/clutch/gas/brake/clutch shuffle, will dramatically appreciate the DCT.

Never did that on the 405. Gotta love those private motorcycle lanes.

The only thig you give up with the dct is the ability to pop a wheely...lol.

You can override the auto function while driving in auto without having to switch to manual. You can always downshift (and upshift if your RPM's are high enough) no matter what mode you are in.

I have the dct and it is AMAZING !!! especially in the city and in traffic. NO CLUTCH, SHIFT, GEAR, BRAKE DANCING... just cruising!!! THe throttle/transmission response is excellent. If you gas it, even in D not S, it will hold the shift point out because it knows you are trying to gain speed quickly. Or you can simply go Manual mode all the way...

Second, it shifts faster and smarter than a human can. No one knows better than the motorcycle brain when the optimum shift time is for the given load, slope, and speed, and acceleration level. And if you want it altered for whatever reason, simply hit the paddle. It will listen to you.... not to mention, you blow everyone away on the line because they are fumbling with first and second gear.....

My opinion: 7500 miles, and I LOVE THE DCT !!!

I once scoffed at automatic shifting for a motorcycle, but then I had the opportunity to ride my daughter's scooter. Wow! I didn't have to shift!
I get why people like that soo much.

For me, I like the involvement.. the thought that goes into shifting.
The only other concern to me is that the DCT transmission is heavy. (how much does it weigh?)... probably not enough to effect MPG.
At those prices you will be fine no matter what you decide.

I think I would burn a manual NC700 too. It's just waaaay faster at being in gear already and shifting through the next ones. My GPR exhaust seems to make the bike a bit more responsive as well...

Sorry. I realize 1/4 mile times and NC700X shouldn't even be used in the same sentence, but . . ."I think I would burn a manual NC700, too" needs a rebuttal.

Cycle World test of the NC700X manual showed 1/4 mile time of 13.86 seconds, and the DCT 14.34 seconds.

That was quite possibly two different riders on two different days at possibly two different tracks. So we'll just leave it as close enough to be a tie.

Greg

Back