• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First Oil Change

Cacique

Reaction score
Visit site
So I completed my first oil change today and WTF!!! That oil filter was just about impossible to take off. I did manage to take it off after almost an hour of messing around with it. I was hoping that I had enough time to start installing my new accessories but I ran out of time. Oh well, I will get to them tomorrow. Can't wait to see how the bike looks once everything is on.

You know mine too from the factory was way over tightened I had to crush it with a pair of large channel locks to get enough grip. The factory stooges apparently don't know about proper filter installation, 1/2 to 3/4 turn past first contact.

from other posts about oil changes , I read that some just drill straight through the filter, remove drill, push a long screw driver through both holes, then turn it with both hands! I'm sure you get quite a bit of leverage/torque that way!
Makes sense, as you are not keeping the filter anyway. I didn't have to do that the first time, but I was close.....

I make sure now to buy the filters that have the NUT built into the center of the round end. I'm counting on that nut to make the next removal considerably easier.

from other posts about oil changes , I read that some just drill straight through the filter, remove drill, push a long screw driver through both holes, then turn it with both hands! I'm sure you get quite a bit of leverage/torque that way!
Makes sense, as you are not keeping the filter anyway. I didn't have to do that the first time, but I was close.....

I make sure now to buy the filters that have the NUT built into the center of the round end. I'm counting on that nut to make the next removal considerably easier.
If you are the one changing your filter than it won't be too tight next time and any decent wrench or those things at the ends of your arms easily will remove it. The nut on the end does make it easy though.

What about the warranty? I can't change oil&filters because there will be no more warranty. For the first 2 years I have to take the bike to the dealer.
Apply firmly a little bit of oil on the rubber sealing of the filter,it will be easier to remove next time.

I've always gone the crunch the filter route with channel locks too. In part because I have them and not a dedicated tool. I'll be up for my first oil change in a couple weeks. Purolator filter on the way from Amazon. If anyone wants to buy four quarts of OEM oil and filter, give me a buzz. I bought them for convenience when I picked up the bike (plus I thought I was going to need the OEM filter to make sure I bought a compatible third party one), but I'm going a different way on the maintenance items.

What about the warranty? I can't change oil&filters because there will be no more warranty. For the first 2 years I have to take the bike to the dealer.
Apply firmly a little bit of oil on the rubber sealing of the filter,it will be easier to remove next time.

Warranty laws are different here in the U.S. I'm pretty sure that I haven't voided my warranty just by changing the oil and filter. Any of you US riders know that for sure?

If anyone wants to buy four quarts of OEM oil and filter, give me a buzz. I bought them for convenience when I picked up the bike (plus I thought I was going to need the OEM filter to make sure I bought a compatible third party one), but I'm going a different way on the maintenance items.

What oil to you plan to use? In a different Oil changing thread, I learned that Rotella T6 is a good choice. Folks who use it demonstrated that it conforms to all the Honda requirements in everything except that it's 5w-30w NOT 10w-30w.
I'm considering using it next time as it's readily available (Walmart) and cheaper.
What are you using?

What oil to you plan to use? In a different Oil changing thread, I learned that Rotella T6 is a good choice. Folks who use it demonstrated that it conforms to all the Honda requirements in everything except that it's 5w-30w NOT 10w-30w.
I'm considering using it next time as it's readily available (Walmart) and cheaper.
What are you using?
In the US the Magnuson Moss Act of 1975 allows a vehicle owner to do their own maintenance and still enjoy protections under the manufacturer's warranty. Save receipts and use supplies that meet manufacturer specifications. Rotella T6 is 5W-40 BTW.

What are you using?

It was me with the T6. I didn't want to hijack this thread. I've already bought two gallons and applied for the rebate.

dealers or proper bike shop for us in the UK.
its OK to get a bike shop to do the service providing that they use Honda approve parts.
other wise I'd do the servicing myself.

Back