• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What mtorcycle did you use for your driving test?

What bike did you use to take your driver's test?

I used the NC700x ... bad idea!... in three attemtps, I could not go around that little circle twice without putting my foot down. All that BS about low center of gravity...didn't help at all... That bike isn't designed to do that.

Friends tell me most people rent a vespa to take the test then ride away on their Harleys! I can't find anyone around here who rents Vespas, so now I have only two more chances to take and pass that test.

After that, you can take a 2 day course in motorcycle safety, and the People's Republic of California will waive the circle test.
The test is FREE, the course is $250!

You'll get it eventually. I'm partial to the $250 safety course because they can teach you MUCH better than you can learn by yourself. You can also purchase videos that will teach you technique invaluable to slow speed handling. Have a look at https://www.ridelikeapro.com/index.php

If you can't do the test on an NC700X which is decent on slow speed parking lot maneuvers, you need more parking lot practice. If you just wanna pass the test, yeah rent a Honda Metropolitan for those. Those are a cinch. But Take the MSF, it teaches you actual basic ridership, you'll waive the DMV test and long term it pays itself off in lower insurance premiums. Just tell your insurance you took the MSF and provide the confirmation number.

The NCX can do it. You just have to get better at controlling the bike. Setup some cones and go throw the bike around in an empty parting lot. It helps if you shift you weight around the bike. You can't turn if you are stiff as a board.

After 15 years away from riding, I took my written test for the permit and brought home the Ducati Monster 620. 3 weeks later, took the riding test with the Monster. Only deduction was missing a cone + putting my foot down in the slalom.

Believe it or not, I never took a riding test to get either my car or motorcycle license. (I had a "connection"). First driving test I ever took was after I came to Japan and wanted to get a truck license.

passed my test on a lambretta scooter in 1968.

not dis one but like it.

Lambretta%201962%20Series%203.JPG

Last edited:
In my home country to pass a test for driving big bore motorcycles, you need to use motorcycle with manual gear shift. I have done it in 2006 on an old bmw r65. Amazing balance and manouverability on slow speeds, doing 8 was like a breeze.

Took mine on my 94 Yamaha Seca II. Listened to all of my friends who had been riding long enough that they had an actual road test, not the parking lot test. Passed by the skin of my teeth, but I can tell you from my first couple of rides on the NC that it would have been much easier. If I had to do it again I would definitely go the MSF route. Riding around on the street will not prepare you for the test.

It was last year on a Yamaha XJ6.

With the Yam it was possible to circle on minimal gas, with the NC I have to play with clutch and gas to do the same.

B.R.

I took the "over 150cc" test about 37 years ago on a Kawasaki 400. I don't need to take the test again, but I practiced the course at the DMV while helping my wife practice for her license last year. I'm sure the course layout varies from state to state. Ours was pretty darn tough to do on a Goldwing 1800, but a cinch on the NC700X.

To me, the NC is like the trials bike of the street, and there's no mid sized motorcycle I'd rather use for a DMV test. The low CofG is a plus, as well as the low end grunt and the good feel of the rear brake for accurate speed control on tight slow turns.

In my opinion, intentionally taking the test on a bike other than the one you intend to ride because otherwise you would fail, is "cheating". Sorry you missed on the test, but I'm gonna be honest and say, you can't blame it on this bike. I'm getting a bit defensive here because you're blaming the test failure on the bike - MY BIKE. Watch this video before you say "That bike isn't designed to do that." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTVyLfeRwUk

Practice more and/or take a motorcycle training course and you'll get it.

Greg

Last edited:
I did my test on a rinky dink little Johnny Pag something or other. I took the safety course and it was one of their loaner bikes. But I have since ridden the same pylon course on bikes as heavy as a HD Dyna Super Glide (~680 lbs and nowhere near as low of a C of G) and one of the instructors pulled the same course on a Goldwing (>900 lbs). Trust me, the few hundred you'd shell out for the safety course is more than worth the skill set you learn for slow speed maneuvering. Anyone can ride a bike at speed, it's the parking lot stuff that takes practice.

Wow, that's an interesting topic. I often coach new riders in my area and that's something I always hear. As Greg said, you should pass the test with YOUR bike. I passed my test with a GL1100 (a while ago...) and had no issue.

I think some may need a little more practice, and maybe an "expensive" driving course would be well worth it. The skills that are tested on that closed exam are the one you will need on a daily basis on the road, dealing with the cage drivers trying to kill you all the time.

Each year, after the winter, I take my current bikes to the test center a week-end to practice/play in the field. I could easily do the entire test with my GL1800, so the NCX is a bicycle for me... Lower speed manoeuvres are easily achievable in 2nd (or even 3rd gear depending on the bike), using the friction zone, with the foot on the rear brake. That's something you will learn in a riding course.

Back