• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT or Manual

DCT or Manual

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mrmin24

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a tough decision to make. I really want a White NC700X and can get a manual one today, but for about $1000 I can get a DCT only in June.

I had my mind set on a DCT, but I would like to know whether any of you have an opinion about the manual vs DCT vs $1000. I commute about 50KM a day every day. 50% highway 50% B roads.

Sorry if this has been asked before. The search function is giving me hassels.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I had a list of motorcycles that I was interested in (BMW, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, and the Zero)
It came down to the Honda with dct option. The dealer has a silver color Manuel version on the floor, if I wanted that. However I decided for a red version with dct and will have to wait till end of this month to get it.
I wish the states had a white color one, I like the white color version a little better.

Ken

if you had your heart set on Auto, then wait. You'll feel like you missed out if you get manual just because you're in a hurry.

No vote by myself.
The manual clutch version is great fun to ride.
Deciding about auto version would require lengthy test rides. Things won't clear up after a short ride.
Decision cannot be taken by anyone but yourself.
If it is just about riding fun or simple sporty riding, go with manual clutch version. 10kg less of weight, less money, immediate availability, full fun, no issues.
In case you like to dive into it deeper, learn about that technology, do lots of inner city rides or just want to forget about manual shifting, DCT is no mistake at all. Works great.
But nobody can tell apart from yourself.
I personally like to ride both, and my main concern against DCT was engine weight (which I think one could feel). Also mpg rate is slightly better with manual clutch version. However, I am very happy with my DCT, and there are rides where I feel like it is absolutely great and could not be any better.
(Riding style: no city, no motorway, mostly cross country roads and small backroads, sometimes ambitious, sometimes relaxed, full rev range)

I had this same debate, but finally decided that if I am getting this bike I am definitely getting the DCT. The reviews are so positive, I really want to give this kind of transmission a try. The ABS is a natural bonus.

The DCT is very good. If you had your mind set on that then for the sake of a couple of months to June I'd wait. I find it still takes a bit of getting used to to be able to ride it smoothly (at slow speeds you have to remember to be gentle with the throttle as you can't balance an over heavy right hand with a bit of clutch slip).

I don't really find the early up changes through the gears in D are that bad (many people comment on it). If I'm accelerating fast then it holds onto lower gears anyway and if I'm dawdling it doesn't affect progress, plus I can always flick it into S mode. I only really use the manual paddles for downshifting to get more engine braking when coming down the hill.

But "You pays your money and you makes your choice". It's your decision

For me it was about what feels right. I would have gone with the manual at the same money as the DCT. That's me I don't like automatics (last vehicle I owned that was an auto was in 86)

I went manual because I like to shift, it is less complex, and usually cheaper to repair and maintain. I buy manual cars when I can get them. On the other hand if the DCT is what you really want then I’d wait the 2 months for the DCT.

Your heart is set on a DCT? Not quite sure why you need help deciding.. It's not that long to wait.. if you're wondering if the DCT is worth paying $1k for, that's very much a personal choice. Do you dislike manuals? Do you love dual clutches? How much does $1k mean to you? I had an Audi A3 3.0 with DCT, and it worked great. I left it in 'D' most of the time, but the + and - buttons were terrific fun when the need or urge was there. I think it'd be a great gearbox on the NC due to the character of the engine. That said, the manual has a great box in it's own right.

It's a trickier question for U.S. riders to answer, as that $1k extra here gets us ABS also, whereas the manual doesn't offer it, even as an option. Interesting how Honda prices the two versions in different markets.

If I'd been offered a definite date by when I could get a DCT I would probably have been tempted, most definitely. As it was I bought a 2012 manual at the 2012 pricing.

Last edited:
I am getting the DCT for medical reasons (problem with the drop-foot on the left) - so, no brainer to me...
But I think I will get to like it actually :)

I think, DCT worth it's price! Very good tech and it's comfort is really great! Manual is good if you like reving the engine ( as on sport bikes ).

I was conflicted when I put a deposit on my bike. I wanted to try the DCT but I was worried I might not like it after the newness wore off and I like shifting so I stayed with what I knew and purchased a manual transmission model.

Coming from a maxi scooter, for me DCT was the initial reason i look to NC as a new bike. As I never in my life owned my own manual big bore motorcycle, was extremely afraid of shifting.
Ended up with manual. Price difference and instant availability for me made a final scale tip to manual. Turns out fear was irrational, I love every part of the experience now, even the 1st gear "clunk" :)
With scooter it was easy to balance throttle and rear brake with two hands for slow maneuvering. Don't know how easy is to do it on DCT but then again i never tried it.

Manual NC here, less than 300 miles. I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I'm thinking the DCT version would be more pleasant in ordinary riding. I find it difficult to figure out what gear I'm in. I've gone good distances in 4th and 5th by accident, and it is a pain to have to do a double or even triple downshift for a pass. It would be easier with the paddles, and I believe the DCT has a gear indicator. I would have liked the ABS in the US too. Issue for me would be the large extra cost (too late now anyway for me), and small drop in mpg.

For DCT owners: is there a clunk during shifts?

For DCT owners: is there a clunk during shifts?

Yes, and when the engine is cold, hold that front brake. The bike tends to lurch forward a couple inches ( 1 decimeter?) when going from neutral to 1st. It seems the clutches are spinning at idle and when you engage first they grab pretty hard. When at running temp, not as much happens.

Clunks every gear.

Yes, and when the engine is cold, hold that front brake. The bike tends to lurch forward a couple inches ( 1 decimeter?) when going from neutral to 1st. It seems the clutches are spinning at idle and when you engage first they grab pretty hard. When at running temp, not as much happens.

Clunks every gear.

I don't think my bike clunks in every gear, You can tell when it changes gear, and going down the box in lower gears you can get a small jerk, but that's all. There definitely is a clunk when going into gear on a cold engine.

Back