• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

That's Right......Ammo Cans!

Bug Dr.

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed my ammo can panniers today. These are CNU 405s and equate to just over 40 liters in size.

DSC_0009-XL.jpg

DSC_0010-XL.jpg

DSC_0011-XL.jpg

Advantages:
1) Cheap - $104 delivered and about $65 in paint and mounting hardware
2) Top loading
3) Boxy design makes them easy to pack
4) Solid construction

Disadvantages:
1) Heavy steel construction
2) You must remove the lid completely to access stored items
3) If you want to lock them it will require four pad locks. (I installed U-bolts for that task)

I realize these are not for everyone and they may not be a permanent solution for myself either. However, given the price of aluminum panniers, I might make these work a couple of seasons.
Mike

Personally I would convert one side of each box to a hinge so only one lock would be needed and the top wouldn't have to come off to get in it.

Personally I would convert one side of each box to a hinge so only one lock would be needed and the top wouldn't have to come off to get in it.

Thought about that too. I don't usually lock any of my luggage so I will try them without hinges first and see how it goes. If I get tired of removing the lids I will put a hinge on them.
Mike

I installed my ammo can panniers today. These are CNU 405s and equate to just over 40 liters in size.

DSC_0009-XL.jpg

DSC_0010-XL.jpg

DSC_0011-XL.jpg

Advantages:
1) Cheap - $104 delivered and about $65 in paint and mounting hardware
2) Top loading
3) Boxy design makes them easy to pack
4) Solid construction

Disadvantages:
1) Heavy steel construction
2) You must remove the lid completely to access stored items
3) If you want to lock them it will require four pad locks. (I installed U-bolts for that task)

I realize these are not for everyone and they may not be a permanent solution for myself either. However, given the price of aluminum panniers, I might make these work a couple of seasons.
Mike

I like the slogan on your registration plate. Neat job with the boxes as well

I would like to have a .59 cal for those driving slow in the left lane.

My guess is that my mileage will drop considerably with these boxes.
Mike

I need a wider top case so I can get my AK with underfolding stock in it. It's just a little too wide for the honda case. Then I'd be slapping ammo in the ammo cans.

I had a good time at Padden's three years ago but it always conflicts with Campstoc which I always try and make. This year I'll be in Indiana for my son's graduation the same weekend as Campstoc and can't make it in 2013. I want to go to Natstoc in July if my wife's health allows. I have the time and inclination.

Mike, quick question. What kind of seat pad and does it help with the sliding? Thanks
Rick

Trooper:
I kept the Alaska Leather sheepskin pad off my cruiser when I traded it in. Not a perfect fit but seems to help a lot with sliding. If you stand up from time to time you'd probably want one with a nose strap.

Trooper:
I kept the Alaska Leather sheepskin pad off my cruiser when I traded it in. Not a perfect fit but seems to help a lot with sliding. If you stand up from time to time you'd probably want one with a nose strap.

What he said. I push the rear of the pad under the pillion seat and shut it. It helps hold the pad in place. The pad is not perfect but it helps this awful seat.
Mike

Back