• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Parabellum - Riding after dark - problem & fix

KDRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I added a Parabellum windshield to my bike. I noticed that the top edge of the sheild is lit up and somewhat distracting when riding after dark. The bottom of the sheild is over the top inch of the headlight, so .... you get the light showing up on all edges of the shield.

I was able to reduce edge light by about 90% with a simple mod of putting door edge guard acorss the bottom of the shield.

The photos show a before & after with the headlight on.

IMG_0363.jpgIMG_0364.jpgIMG_0366.jpg

Last edited:
It is night & day compared to riding with the stock shield. The stock sheild put the wind right in my chest & throat. This one sends most of the wind up and over me. Still have some buffeting on the helmet, but vastly better than the stock experiance. I've ridden about 500 miles with it so far.

They have it in 3 heights, I bought the tallest one they sell.

Are you talking about the light coming from the panel hitting the shield? The panel light can be turned down.

Ziggie- No, I'm talking about the fact that the edge of the windshield was lit up pretty good as soon as the headlight is turned on. The light from the headlight was entering the bottom edge of the shield and basically projecting out the top edge. (which is right at eye level for me) You can kind of see what I am talking about if you compare the 1st & 2nd photos in the post.

I had the same problem with mine. The Parabellum shields extend further down toward the headlight than other ones, which causes it to catch a lot more of the headlight beam. After I raised mine up with a set of windshield extenders the litebrite problem became less pronounced, but this looks like a good way to get rid of it altogether.

I fixed the same problem on a Parabellum shield on my F800ST by putting black marker pen to the entire edge of the shield.

The OEM shield on a ST13 seems to have the same treatment as a finishing step.

i have been using the Parabellum tall for several years and have not had that problem. i have never noticed the edges lighting up.

I had HID headlights on my F800 and the entire edge was lit up big time. The 'cat eye' lights on BMW cars are solid plastic rod w/light hitting it at one location, lighting the entire rod; same deal.
I've got an undrilled tall Parabellum for my NC and will be drilling it up to the Honda tall shield mount bar. I'm curious if I'll have the cat eye effect w/it.

Last edited:
The Madstad shield on my bike does the same thing. I covered the bottom edges with blue painters tape as a temporary fix. Before I roll the bike out of the shed in a few weeks I was planning on lowering the shield an inch by drilling new holes and painting the lower 3 inches or so and the bottom edge in matte black Plasti-Dip.

I added a Parabellum windshield to my bike. I noticed that the top edge of the sheild is lit up and somewhat distracting when riding after dark. The bottom of the sheild is over the top inch of the headlight, so .... you get the light showing up on all edges of the shield.

I was able to reduce edge light by about 90% with a simple mod of putting door edge guard acorss the bottom of the shield.

The photos show a before & after with the headlight on.

View attachment 3328View attachment 3330View attachment 3332

That is a really smart idea!

Back