• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How to write a NC700X review, without even riding it. (pg 19)

It is a great review of the guys likes and dislikes. There really isn't that much talk about the bike itself because he gets off subject at least 2-3 times. I think it would be good to actually read a review from someone who rode it and didn't like it. This would help those of us who haven't bought it yet, understand both the pros and cons, because everything has at least one con! However, this review isn't it!

Thanks for sharing, was a good laugh!

Ya, luckily those people are not working on Motorcycle Reviews or Journals.....luckily.:p
Those mad people who DARE criticise without spending more than 1000miles on a moto....scandalous!

Was he really criticising or just pointing out some of his initial observations / feelings?

Last edited:
Perfectly valid....

Strange how some people also post on forums criticising bikes that they have only ridden for a couple of very short trips

A first impression can be perfectly valid. I rode the Honda NC700x for five minutes before I picked up the missus and rode it for 10 more minutes before deciding we'll get one of these as a second bike as soon as she gets her license, and I dare say I got a very valid impression.

First thing that struck me was the rpm limiter. Literally. It struck me. But when you adjust your riding stile to deal with the 6000 rpm limit and become conscious of it, you start appreciating the torque you have at your disposal for such a small and lightweight bike. The bike feels lightweight because of the center of gravity being so low, which leads us to the second thing that struck me.

At a variety of speeds, and with the missus on the back, I had an inclination to really throw this bike around in corners. From a steering perspective it feels perfectly playful. Normally, I don't tend to get that comfortable that quickly with a bike, and that's a compliment if anything. I dare say that if you put studded tires and a carter protection plate, you can take this thing off the beaten path.

Which brings us to the journalist of Rider's digest. The magazine is asking for sponsors because it may be their last issue, and I don't see that as a loss. The article in question provides no information on the bike reviewed whatsoever. The man just meanders from his former bikes to his navigation system to his feelings about two wheeled devices and never even touches the bike he's reviewing because it's not his cup of tea.

You'll have to excuse the language here, but that guy is a complete and utter knobhead. That's not journalism, sorry. There is such a thing as free speech, but if I were an editor, and I'd send someone to do a particular job and they'd come back not having done it because it didn't seem like their cup of tea, they'd be fired faster than they could write porridge.

welcome Chrisje. I agree that you can fall in love with a bike on your first ride. However to criticise a bike completely after a short ride is not really fair. As an example when I bought my first airhead BMW boxer twin way back in the 70s I thought I had made a big mistake by the time I had ridden it home from the dealers. If this had been a test ride I would never had bought one. Luckily I persevered with it and soon discovered all it's plus points which led me to spend many happy years riding these bikes. It is a bit like when you meet a new potential boy/girl friend in that sometimes it is love at first sight but on the other hand many enduring relationships are formed by people who don't particualy like each other first but grow to love each other when they discover more about each other

That's right Chrisje, the reviewer did not even ride the bike, not even a short trip. How can he qualify as a reviewer? By looking at the bike?I rode the bigger brother of the NC, the 800Crossrunner. Although it is a higher spec'd bike, got more PS, better equipped etc, courses for horses, I did not quite like it (but then it was FIRST IMPRESSIONS). On the way back to return the bike, I found the powerband, and used it. Again, it did not wow me, so sadly I did not like it. A short ride is not a fair judgement on any bike, and after buying one, one can be "convinced" (buyer self-praise) for becoming to love it. Of course we are all humans and we will not bash our own foot saying we were wrong to buy any bike. However, all bikes are good bikes. We just need to find what suits us, and what fits us. I am almost sure, in a couple more years, I will be upgrading to another bigger tourer bike, but will likely keep the NC700X for a commuter purpose. Have a nice time finding yours. Cheers!

To say that we don't criticise the bikes we buy is nonsense. Years ago I bought a new yamaha XS750 tripple and I couldn't wait to tell people what a load of rubbish it was. I most certainly have not fallen in love with all the 75 bikes that I have owned in fact I could probably only say that about around a dozen of them. after all who can truely say that they have really loved all their girl/boy friends? Many bikes seem ideal on paper but turn out to be a disapointment in real life.
By the way other than being built by the same company the Crossrunner can in no way be described as a brother of the NC as it has completely different DNA. It is at best a distant cousin.
The CR is faster more comfortable better accelerating better handling has better wind protection and is a far better bike for distance work. The Nc is cheaper both to buy & run and of course has a much better fuel consumption. still what would I know as I have only used the Crossrunner for tours for just over a year and use the NC700X for commuting covering more miles in just over 6 weeks than by their own admission some NC experts on this forum do in a year
As a matter of interest not being a 2 stoke the Crossrunner does not really have a power band but what it does have is a VTEC system that comes into operation at 6K RPM making a big difference to performance and sadly fuel consumption

Last edited:
I am also one of the "rare few" who will criticise myself if and when I buy something of rubbish. Yes, I agree with you. However the general public will fight tooth and nail with anyone who dare say it to their face. I buy what I like, and say what I like, even if it is in disagreement with others. This is what you call an opinion. Most call me troublemaker boat-rocker, etc. The NCX is a nice bike, and the CR is also a bloody well built one (it's a Honda). I just don't see myself owning or riding the latter, due to time constraints and ergonomics. I am already struggling to put miles on the NCX, let alone a bigger one (harder to handle for me). Again, courses for horses, some also tell me. On a recent trip, I am faster than most "racing bike" riders. Why? They slowed right down at corners, while I just ease through them with little or no braking.Take care, and ride safe. :D

"Of course we are all humans and we will not bash our own foot saying we were wrong to buy any bike. However, all bikes are good bikes. We just need to find what suits us, and what fits us". "I am also one of the "rare few" who will criticise myself if and when I buy something of rubbish. Yes, I agree with you. However the general public will fight tooth and nail with anyone who dare say it to their face. I buy what I like, and say what I like, even if it is in disagreement with others."
The above 2 scentances of your completely contridict each other.
May I as why you find the CR harder to handle as I find it that it handles just fine and I'm only 5' 9" (175.2 cm) tall with 28" (71.2cm) inside seem plus as you keep reminding me I'm old

Well, ok. They look contradictory to you, but I type them as they come to my mind. One more thing: I was not insinuating about you. I speak generally, not particularly about you. In case you get the wrong idea (again).I find the CR harder to handle, because I am 1.68m. The seat is wider, the bike feels heavier, the riding position is more forward crouching (compared to NCX). The 4cyclinder is also something which I do not quite like. TBH, I was expecting to be wow'd by the CR, but I was genuinely disappointed, maybe my expectations were too high. Again, I say it is a GOOD bike (for others but not me).Again I am making up these words as they come to my mind. I do not keep saying you are old. I think I made a conscious effort to avoid saying that, after your last post. :D Is this ok?PS: I do like to be a friend to you and anyone else here. I get combative only when someone picks on my statements one by one. I prefer to be read as contextual as possible, not verbatim. I am not an English teacher. :D

Back