• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Another newbie

Rideitsideways

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all. Browsed entire forum after deciding to get an NC700x in June once my 2 years are up on my A2 license. I have gone back and forth trying to decide between manual or dct with the former now preferred. I have pretty much chosen the accessories i will bolt on upon delivery and i think red or white will be the colour, as Silver and black looked unexciting in the flesh IMO.

I was wondering what any of you guys n girls would have purchased if the NC700x was not released? This info will allow me to look at the alternatives for a comparison.

BTW i am a rookie rider and know very little about bikes other than the research on the NC and my awesome, but to small Vespa.

Cheers

welcome%20with%20smiles.gif

it all depend on what YOU require or expect from a bike.
ask yourself these question.
do I or will I use the bike for...............
1, commuting
2,week end fun.
3,do I want to fill up after 140 miles or 220 miles?
4,ease of use.
5, comfort.
no doubt there's more questions to be ask and answered.
the choice is really down to you.
what ever forum you join your bound to get a bias opinion on what is best.
on here you'll get the NC.
for value for money you can't beat the NC.

I would have gone with the suzuki vstrom or kawasaki versys. I wanted a road bike that could do double duty as an occasional off road bike.

I was looking at a Harley 883, Honda Shadow 750 spirit, Yamaha Vulvan 900, V-star 650, Ninja 650... Until I realized I could not do everything I wanted on these bikes. I wanted commuting friendly MPG, a low reving twin cylinder engine, and storage options for long distance/touring riding.

1.ABS was a must

2.Ease of maintenance was second on the top of the required list.

3. Low revving midsized engine.

4. Ability to turn inside a parking lot (looking at you Shadow!)

I will be using it for weekend fun and the odd commute. Not bothered about fueling up every 200 miles or so as this is way better than the vespa. i do like the idea of something easy and fun and do not want a high reving speed machine as i am the sort of person to ride and drive a vehicle how it wants to be ridden or driven. this is not a problem in a car as i am a very good driver but when it comes to bikes i know i am a novice. Ive only ridden a manual for two days plus the day of test and the last year and a half has been on a cvt Vespa.
I will look at the versys and vstrom as a direct comparison.

I was looking at a Harley 883, Honda Shadow 750 spirit, Yamaha Vulvan 900, V-star 650, Ninja 650... Until I realized I could not do everything I wanted on these bikes. I wanted commuting friendly MPG, a low reving twin cylinder engine, and storage options for long distance/touring riding.

1.ABS was a must

2.Ease of maintenance was second on the top of the required list.

3. Low revving midsized engine.

4. Ability to turn inside a parking lot (looking at you Shadow!)

I love the looks of the above bikes and was gonna buy something along those lines right up untill i sat on one and thought WTF. How the hell am i gonna be comfy riding one of these. Thats when the BMW gs650 caught my eye which then progressed to the Nc700 as it is better looking and more reliable.

After my first BMW (and last) purchase, (F800ST) I was so disheartened, broke, angry and depressed, I couldn't wait to get rid of it before I went bankrupt or had some kind of embolism. (or it killed me from leaking so much oil it caught on fire and roasted me, caused me to crash because a part vibrated or flew off, or the leaking oil made the tires slide out, killing me, or the vibrations induced epilepsy and caused me to crash, etc., etc.)

I was eyeing the 2011 650 VStrom.

The things I didn't like about the zook was the top heavy nature, having to do maintenance essentially twice every time (the achilles heel of V engines, I'm afraid) carburetors instead of EFI, and the shim valve train style.

The things I liked were: not a BMW, simple chain drive so you can fiddle with the gearing if you want to, maintenance being something I could at least do on the cheap without taking it to the dealer's computer, not a BMW, pleasing VTwin sound and feel, larger fuel tank capacity, fairly rugged and dependable, and not a BMW.

Then the NCX came out! :happy dance:

-simple and cheap chain drive
-awesome MPG
-awesome storage
-little bit longer suspension travel
-Parallel twin which only has one valve cover to deal with
-270* firing which makes it sound/feel pleasantly VTwin-ish
-gear driven counter balancer instead of chain or weird other kind of set up (horrible BMW)
-EFI
-simple screw and locknut valve adjustment
-"normal" electrical system without computer controlled CanBus crap (BMW)
-no nagging warnings, flashing lights, messages that you can't make go away, telling you to have your bike serviced when it doesn't need it, and you have to pay the dealer to use their special computer to reset-BMW)
-the low COG really does make the bike feel way lighter
-not a BMW
-did I mention not a BMW anywhere?

I was wondering what any of you guys n girls would have purchased if the NC700x was not released? This info will allow me to look at the alternatives for a comparison.

I would have just kept my "classic" Ninja 250: a very inexpensive bike to buy (used) and maintain. It's not as versatile as as the NC700X, but a great value and fun to ride. I'd always have the GL1800 Goldwing for long rides and two-up anyway.

Greg

So I'm right at the decision point right now... To buy or not. I think NCX is the one for me. I was put off by lack of abs on manual for a while, but based on reading this forum and reading "Proficient Motorcycling" I'm okay with it.
Competition for my dollars goes mostly to V Strom 650. Possibly the forthcoming CB500X. And final wild card for me is whether I should get a used bike for a while as I am returning to riding after 8 years, and that was only a summer. Phew. Decisions decisions!

I've been on the vstrom site for a while, and it seems like there are more people with gripes than on this site - usually to do with quality issues. Probably hard to beat Honda as a company on that one.

I guess I'm pretty close to just going for it and getting the NCX... and buy the bike I'm really excited about!

I also would have probably went with the DL650 Vstrom. It has proven to be a very reliable bike with aftermarket out the wazoo.
As LBS stated "The things I didn't like about the zook was the top heavy nature, having to do maintenance essentially twice every time (the achilles heel of V engines, I'm afraid) carburetors instead of EFI, and the shim valve train style."
I have had Suzuki's in the past and like them a lot, but the high COG can be a pain at times.

Reliability
Fuel mileage
Standard riding position (comfortable for me)
Ease of maintenance
Low center of gravity

I had a price on a used KLR650 2008 while I was watching the price on the NC. Then I bought a NC based on video reviews, without a test drive. Glad I did, but didn't get any real time in the saddle when winter arrived.
I was hoping to find a used Tiger 800 but they are hard to come by. The nc is a snap to ride, I like the upright position and high vantage point in traffic.
Welcome
BigE

Dorset? Is this another Limey? Cripes Almighty! They will outnumber us soon. Welcome aboard, you are going to love this bike. She is a very giving and forgiving girl.

Hi Welcome. How about a Kawasaki W650? This is one bike I would consider for the type of use you describe

I do like that style of bike, possibly a bit to old school looking for my tastes but a good alternative. I also looked at the Honda vt750s but i now am very sure the adventure style is for me.
Ive read all your posts and looked at the alternatives and have now commited to the nc1701x (geek) and can now only wait until my licence restriction is over.
And yes another Brit has joined the ranks although i am of Italian decent.

mmm what difference does that make..won't ya toes press down hard enough but can up.
man getcha self a DCT. and this coming from a Brit don't take any notice of those who call us limy their are only jealous that were not two cent short of a dollar
like them:p

mmm what difference does that make..won't ya toes press down hard enough but can up.
man getcha self a DCT. and this coming from a Brit don't take any notice of those who call us limy their are only jealous that were not two cent short of a dollar
like them:p
It gives me an idea of how well it pulls and how well put together it is. Not sure about dct, i will just have to have a test ride and check it out. Just a shame i gotta wait till June for my licence.
I love the Yanks. Have uncles and cousins in and around New York and my irish mrs lived in boston for a short time with her relatives.

Yes you can pull away in second from a stop. I accidently did that yesterday. Thought I was in first but wasn't. Took a few for it to dawn on me that I hadn't been in first. It is sluggish but it will do it reasonably well.

Oh, one more question.
The bike is torquey and low revving, so can you pull away from standstill in second gear without any trouble at all?

Yes you can, but why would you want to? Like the puppy BTW. Looks like a happy guy (or gal).

Back