• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Riding the NC500 around the Scottish highlands...

Paulplex

Reaction score
Visit site
I've booked ten days from the middle of May next year to do something a bit different; I plan on riding my motorbike around the Scottish highlands.

Of course, you've got to get there first: so the round trip from door to door on the south coast of England and back again will be just under 1,800 miles. It'd only be me - top box, two side cases and a canvas bag on the back seat, I hope to mix wild camping with sofa surfing and B&Bs: has anyone I know done the NC500 and can they offer any hints or tips?

NC500Route.jpg

The blue spidery lines at the bottom are the previously recorded tracks from the Calimoto app; as you can see, the furthest north I've travelled before was Oxford - this would be somewhat further!

I was going to suggest bringing some insect repellant but when I looked it up it appears you will get away with it in mid May. Seems the nasty little females only appear in June. Looks like a good trip.

Can't help you with the trip planning, other than suggest you do a weekender with all your gear first as a trial run. My other caution is the canvas bag on the seat; I'd think you'd want waterproof. Cheapest is a heavy plastic (builder's?) garbage bag, or better, a dry bag duffel (Lomo gets good reviews and it's on Amazon uk). I use a 30L drybag for 120 litres total luggage for 0 C degree weather camping on the bike (no top box, 34L panniers). Shifting your bag every couple of hours to fill up is a negative. I made a pillion rack with a gas hole to solve that- Cutting board pillion rack

Last edited:
Midges are not usually a problem in May.
Once you get into Scotland there are lots of great roads you could use to avoid motorways and the A9.
When I did the NC500 we went up Loch Lomond, Glencoe and Fort William to get to Inverness.
The Scottish borders and Dumfries and Galloway are beautiful areas to visit as well, great biking roads.
If you are planning on using B&B's or hotels I would recommend booking in advance, the NC500 is a very popular route.
if you have time, it is worth visiting Orkney.
Enjoy your trip.

Back