• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Random thoughts on tire changing

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Today I expanded my tire mounting skills by mounting tires on 17” alloy minivan wheels. I used the same machine I use for motorcycle wheels (modified Harbor Freight tire changer), so as not scratch the rims. My findings are that car tires, at least higher profile ones, are super easy to mount.

7682044E-B1C4-4436-9620-644897ED97F0.jpg

Slightly more difficult are trailer tires. The job is the same as a car tire, with the added challenge of seating the bead of a tire shipped from overseas squished flat as a pancake stacked. I had to get a bead blaster air tank. It empties a five gallon 100 psi air tank in a couple seconds to inflate the tire. Even after seeing videos, I still had no faith that the bead blaster would work to inflate the tire and pop the beads on the rims, but by golly it did.

14FA7FD1-DA62-473D-AA0C-0DF14625A407.jpg
05639DD3-A4E8-48CA-920E-F9790168747D.jpg

Next up in increasing difficulty is your average motorcycle tire on a 17-19 inch rim. These go on pretty easy, but you have to fiddle more with getting the opposite side bead down in the well so you can lever the tire on to the rim.

Next higher difficulty is scooter tires on 10-12 inch rims. Those little guys are tough to mount, and sometimes I just need to resort to kneeling on them and fighting them with tire levers because the rims are too small to mount on the tire machine. I changed a 10 inch Ruckus tire last week and it was a challenge.

The ultimate tire change difficulty is the Goldwing 1800 front rim, with the rear wheel coming in a close second. The tires are stiff because of the load they carry. Mounting the Goldwing tire is about muscle, but not entirely about muscle. It’s more like a strategy game to see where you need to add lube and where you need to add tools and blocks to push the stiff opposite bead down to the center of the well. You solve the puzzle, and only then does the tire go on the rim.

If you can master a Goldwing front tire change, you can change about any tire. Could I pay someone else to mount my tires? Sure. But I save a few bucks, and I enjoy the satisfaction of doing it myself. I get to buy discounted tires on line. My wheels don’t get all torn up from careless people handling them, and with motorcycle tires, it takes less time to do it myself than driving to town to get it done at the motorcycle shop.

Last edited:
Nice. Nothing like a good night’s sleep when you know the job was done right and nothing got screwed up along the way!:cool:

Tires......

670cc,

Has anyone ever tried just using a big C-clamp to break the bead on a tire?

Slo_Rider

670cc,

Has anyone ever tried just using a big C-clamp to break the bead on a tire?

Slo_Rider
I did so back in the 1990s, but using a clamp can scratch rims if it slips. You need to have the clamp right next to the rim for it to work, and it tends to slide toward the rim.

I use a Harbor Freight bead breaker as shown in the photo below. It has never failed to break the bead on any wheel that I’ve thrown at it. It costs about $44 if you use a coupon.

6E0989FB-4259-45A7-9138-FF5FCCCFA87D.jpg

Last edited:
I went the Nomar route. I would agree the Goldwing tires are toughest to do. Interesting thing though is that I find that the rear tire is tougher! Getting the underneath bead in the rim valley is key as you said. I use three 1/2" blocks and some big Nomar tire irons. Before tackling a wing tire I usually go watch their video on wing tires 3 or 4 times.
I too have found out that I can change a tire or two in the time it takes to go to the dealer and wait then go back home.
Cheers,
Guy

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I used to work as a tire tech changing out car and light truck tires. Very easy work most of the time because we had great equipment. Changing the tire on my bike was a bit more challenging. I felt like I was channeling the way my Dad used to change tires on his pickup. I distinctly remember him breaking the bead by running over the tire with the truck.:cool:

The only problem that I really ran into with my cheap equipment was that I failed to put the tire on in the right direction the first time. The only thing more difficult that getting a broken down, old tire off the rim is getting a brand new one off.:mad:

I used to work as a tire tech changing out car and light truck tires. Very easy work most of the time because we had great equipment. Changing the tire on my bike was a bit more challenging. I felt like I was channeling the way my Dad used to change tires on his pickup. I distinctly remember him breaking the bead by running over the tire with the truck.:cool:

The only problem that I really ran into with my cheap equipment was that I failed to put the tire on in the right direction the first time. The only thing more difficult that getting a broken down, old tire off the rim is getting a brand new one off.:mad:
[emoji23] I did the same thing, got my new tire changer, I already had the tires just waiting for it, installed the rear with no problems, I double checked to make sure that wouldn't install the tire wrong direction and some how I still did[emoji28] brand new tire on the front had to take it off just to put it back on

Greg, did you try a ratchet strap around the tire in order to get the bead to seat and take air? Had to do that many times in the woods on rock crawlers. Nothing worse than a giant tire breaking off the rim in nasty terrain, usually wet or muddy, and trying to get the bead to seat to take air. Ratchet strap around the whole tire will cinch down and push the sidewalls out toward the wheel lips.

But a bead blaster will work too! Always thought those things were a little hairy to use Lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Also, not sure what sort of tire tooling you use to change tires with the Harbor Freight changer, but that No-Mar tire bar is a pretty nifty unit and may make your life easier if you don't already use something comparable to it. It can be bought separately on their website.

a321ba8bb87386013f9a0b17c3847785.jpg

Greg, did you try a ratchet strap around the tire in order to get the bead to seat and take air? Had to do that many times in the woods on rock crawlers. Nothing worse than a giant tire breaking off the rim in nasty terrain, usually wet or muddy, and trying to get the bead to seat to take air. Ratchet strap around the whole tire will cinch down and push the sidewalls out toward the wheel lips.

But a bead blaster will work too! Always thought those things were a little hairy to use Lol.

Almost always have to use a ratchet strap.

Oh, yes, I tried the ratchet strap on the limp trailer tire. Tried putting wood blocks in the tire for days hoping it would hold shape. Soon as I put the tire back on the rim, it fell flat, nowhere close to the bead. I must have remounted the tire 6-8 times, which was really easy. Finally, I had an open chuck feeding air in the valve from an air compressor, hit the gap in the tire/rim with the bead blaster thing, and seated it first try. I was amazed.

Last edited:
Also, not sure what sort of tire tooling you use to change tires with the Harbor Freight changer, but that No-Mar tire bar is a pretty nifty unit and may make your life easier if you don't already use something comparable to it. It can be bought separately on their website.

I use a MojoLever. Works great.

I also use the Yellow Thing from No-Mar, their tire mounting lube, as well as their bead clamp.

I saw somewhere there is a third bar type/brand available out there that looked nice but I forgot the name of it.

Last edited:
I grew up in tire shops that older family members all owned and learned to do/change tires at a young age. I learned many tricks from the old guys on how to get the tire-beads to all seat properly/easily. Then as i got bigger i was moved into the 18-wheeler shop. Oh man those tires were huge/heavy. I still remember when the Super-Singles first came out/became popular, shortly afterwards that's when i found myself with a triple hernia. Man that Doctor field dressed me like a deer! :{P

Funny story. Was in a hurry working on bike before work. Was gonna try to change rear tire before work. In my haste, removed old tire from rim, pushed on first bead of new tire, started using the mounting bar to finish putting the tire on, got really tight, had 3/4 of it on and couldn't go any further. Bar slipped out twice, once mashing the piss out of my finger. I stood there scratching my head....finally realized I forgot to spray on some lube! Lol. Sprayed on some lube, she slipped right on!

2b1d0a810aea21e06b0e024fcdf290de.jpg

a45589539f5cdbdac5eaaddeb209ee30.jpg

Funny story. Was in a hurry working on bike before work. Was gonna try to change rear tire before work. In my haste, removed old tire from rim, pushed on first bead of new tire, started using the mounting bar to finish putting the tire on, got really tight, had 3/4 of it on and couldn't go any further. Bar slipped out twice, once mashing the piss out of my finger. I stood there scratching my head....finally realized I forgot to spray on some lube! Lol. Sprayed on some lube, she slipped right on!

2b1d0a810aea21e06b0e024fcdf290de.jpg

a45589539f5cdbdac5eaaddeb209ee30.jpg

Just to ease the pain of the finger... been there done that!

Just to ease the pain of the finger... been there done that!

Boy it sure is sore! And I've hit it on about 50 things between then and now. Hard to work without knocking it into something Lol.

Back