• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DTC Lockup

Helix

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2016 NC700XD with 36,000 miles. On 9/14/19 after arriving home from a 2 hour ride and a quick gasoline fill-up. I killed the engine to open the garage. Went back to restart it and it was stuck in 2nd gear and therefore wouldn’t start.

Thanks to the efforts of others on this forum who have posted solutions for this and other problems I wanted to add my experience to the pool to maybe help someone else.

Searching for answers on the Forum led me to the DDNDN calibration. Note: the instructions cautioning to not touch the throttle and let it idle for several minutes are important. That, to my relief, got it into N and I was able to start it. However it displayed both D and S symbols (referred to by some as D+S) in the Mode window. I finally got up the nerve to go for a ride and see how it behaved. Some have said the D+S both being displayed means it’s in Limp Mode but mine behaved just like Sport II, where I have it set i.e. brisk acceleration (yeah, I know), more engine braking and downshifts into 5th below 55 mph.

More searching on the Forum suggested starting while holding the brake lever to clear the D+S. To my surprise it actually worked. The Mode Window would now display D or S and the paddle shifters worked.

Went for a 85 mile ride today and everything is back to normal. I really love the versatility of the DCT system but like most electronic controlled devices it’s not always easy to figure out how to get them functioning again. But the most frustrating part for me is not knowing what the hell made it mess up in the first place. Maybe I’ll be sure to put it in N before I shut it off, but who knows if that had anything to do with it.

I have a good mechanic at the dealership but I’m about the only NC700XD he’s ever seen.

So thank you for taking the time to post your problems and solutions on this Forum. I couldn’t have fixed my bike without your input.
Helix

Awesome info, hopefully I never run into this, but the info is now there if I need it! I forget to put mine in neutral all the time before shutting it off. It just slips my mind. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The manual suggests rocking the bike back and forth to disengage the transmission- it might have prevented the bike getting 'confused'. As for stopping the engine in gear, now you know...

My daughter killed her DCT while going down the road by accidentally hitting the kill switch. Wouldn't start. Turned the key on and started rocking the bike. It went click, click, click and then showed neutral and then would start.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

One thing to keep is mind is that the DCT system cannot easily shift gears back to N when the bike is stopped with engine OFF.

I had that happen to me when my NC was new (to me) and I accidentally hit the Engine Stop Switch with my hand while riding in 6th gear. At a stop it wouldn't do anything so I paddled the bike forward while using the downshift button and eventually got to N so I could restart the engine.

The transmission shafts need to be turning, even gradually, to help it downshift to N. By the way, I've made it a habit to always downshift to N before shutting off the engine. :)

I also hit the kill switch accidently when I first got the bike. I then purchased an inexpensive plastic throttle lock.

I never use it as a throttle lock, but by leaving it in the 'straight up' position, it serves as a buffer for my throttle hand. No more problems of accidently hitting buttons and switches.

The manual suggests rocking the bike back and forth to disengage the transmission- it might have prevented the bike getting 'confused'. As for stopping the engine in gear, now you know...

I hadn't remembered this and it probably could have corrected the situation much quicker. Thanks for pointing it out (I finally found it in the Manual). Guess all of these suggestions are important if you live with a DCT. Still wish I knew what caused it to stop in 2nd gear, not 1st and then not go into N when the key was turned back on. I will be putting it into N before shutting down in the future.

Thanks Guys,
Helix

I have made it a habit to always put my DCT into N before turning the key to OFF. I never use the engine kill switch with this bike, unlike all my previous manual-shift bikes. Just doesn't seem needed.
When I do occasionally leave it in gear and turn the key off, when I turn the key back to ON the bike "Clicks" back into N. I can hear it do that.
Thanks for the info and knock on wood, I hope I never need to use it!

Back