• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mouse in Air Box

F150

Reaction score
Visit site
I’m a new member, but long time reader of this forum.

2014 NC700X purchased “new” in 2017. I put about 5K miles per season. I just passed 13K, so time to change the air filter for the first time. I pulled out the air box cover per service manual.

I found the remains of a large mouse nest. The mouse had been there long enough to store several handfuls of seeds and peanuts. The filter was completely full of hair. I have no idea how the bike was running.

I completely cleaned the air box and installed the new filter. I did a 50 mile test ride and the bike has noticeably more power than before. Not a sport bike, but I can feel more power. Again, I can’t believe it was even running before.

Here’s was has me thinking. The bike has noticeably more power now than when I first bought it. This was a 2014 model that was sold new in 2017, so the bike was in some storage facility for 3 years. This is the first time since purchase that the air box has been removed. Did I buy “new” bike with a mouse nest in the air box???

a23cca13161ba4bdb7b858756608bbb5.jpg
72b77e240b4b3d1e21e675d5f5854530.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome to the Mouse Club!
I had a similar situation this spring. It’s a wonder that the engine would even run with all that mouse bedding and seeds.

JT

Welcome F150 and congrats on a good purchase(mouse bedding included it seems). Glad to have you here, there is an amazing amount of seasoned knowledge here to avail yourself of. :{)

Wow, I think I'd better check my air filter. I got a new 2014 NC700X in May, no telling how many places it's been stored. Will do it Monday, putting up a ceiling fan tomorrow.

couple of weeks ago a friend of mine parked his truck overnight in the mountains, next morning he had a mouse in his glove box. so who knows. Imagine storing camp food in or around your motorcycle.

A garage, shop, patio, car port, shed, barn or even outside storage with dog, cat or bird food near by is an invitation for mice to take up residence in all vehicles or equipment.

Back