• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Swing a leg over your bike.....short in the leg Steve

steve59

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,
Do any of you have a ‘lowered’ NC700 / 750 that live within a 4 hour drive of Walled Lake, Michigan.
Just NW of Detroit, who would let me try the bike for size.
I am not asking to RIDE the bike …….. just sit and try it for size and how it feels!

Obversely I have been to local dealers to sit on standard bikes, but would like to try a bike with after market seat and/or lowered by links.

I have over the years had several Kawasaki Z750 size bikes with no alteration to the suspension / seats etc, only adjustments to the standard shocks and forks…setting the sag, compression and rebound etc.
I always feel OK but only tip toe on both sides, or ball of my foot on one side.

I will be using this bike mostly on road but would like to go on dirt and very light off road, and therefore have a little more foot contact!

Turned 60 this year and planning to do some long trips in the next couple of years, this bike seems it would fit the bill for the way I ride, longer trips, simple engine, low revs and good gas mileage can only help!

Thanks guys…..look foreword to good feedback as received in an earlier post
Steve

How long would it take you to drive to Michigan City, IN (or the state line area near that city?)

Melensdad,
Using google maps it looks like just over 3hrs….seems about right! I was at Gingerman race track a couple of weeks ago and google maps had that spot on.
3 hours is fine with me and I have not been to Michigan City, In
would like to meet up, just when and where ?
Steve

My wife’s 2016 NC700x is lowered. I can probably meet you if we figure out a day/time.

Can you meet during the week? Maybe Tuesday?

EDIT:

Not sure what the weather looks like but I can probably meet during the day on Tuesday if the weather is reasonable. Its about 90 minutes ride for me to get to Michigan City. I have to be back home by late afternoon because we have dinner plans with other family members.

I might be able to meet next Friday too?

Last edited:
My wife has hospital appointments next Monday and Tuesday, but the rest of the week looks open.
I would be willing to drive closer to your home (as you are the one helping me) if this helps you!
Perhaps you could contact me some time next week when the time is good for you.
I will try to send you a private message with my phone number…..again thanks for your offer.
All the best Steve

Thanks Slo_Rider
Interesting Tool……some what shows how I ‘fit’ on my existing bikes!
As you know seat height is one element, but the cross section of seat and frame etc. also effects bike fit.
So I believe the tool gives a good approximation but I still would like to try a modified bike.
I do have time on my hands and doing more research just makes me feel more confident of my choice of bike.
Again thanks for the input…..Steve

Well the NC seat is up there with some of the worst seats ever, so you'll likely change that out later anyways.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Short..........

Steve59,

One thing I did not initially appreciate about 'Cycle-Ergos' is the ability to show how lowering the bike or lowering the seat will impact things. I am a bit dense.

You have probably noticed it but you can put in a negative value in the 'seat-rise' pane to show how your feet hit the ground, and can do the same thing by changing your info in the 'rider-info' pane. By changing my 29" inseam to 31" my feet can touch the ground comfortably.

As for seats, many people here try 'Sargent Saddles', but they will not lower a saddle. The person I spoke with said to think of a saddle as a pyramid. The lower you go the wider it gets. They said they were not willing to scoop out the sides either.

I have lowered my bike with 'Soupys' links and so far, have not experienced any adverse issues, but it is very hot here in SC and the bike has been mostly parked.

Slo_Rider

I have lowered two for my daughters. Used soupysperformance.com both times. Very happy with it. Also bought his adjustable kickstand and kickstand footprint enlarging piece too. One I lowered the forks on and the other I didn't. Can't tell much of a difference between them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Plans today for the lovely Mrs_Bob and I to meet up with Steve to let him swing a leg over a couple different NC bikes and given the bikes a try.

Turned 60 this year and planning to do some long trips in the next couple of years, this bike seems it would fit the bill for the way I ride, longer trips, simple engine, low revs and good gas mileage can only help!

Thanks guys…..look foreword to good feedback as received in an earlier post
Steve
This is similar to me, though at 5’10 32” inseam the stock height of most bikes should be fine. I turned 62 this year and plan to start NC700X adv-touring in the western US next year. Do it while you still can. Good luck finding the right bike, Steve.

Plans today for the lovely Mrs_Bob and I to meet up with Steve to let him swing a leg over a couple different NC bikes and given the bikes a try.
This is exceptionally kind of you and the Mrs. I hope the weather cooperates for y’all.

Well I had a nice 2 hour meet up with Steve and both of our wives.

Steve is not from around here. At first I thought he had a Yooper accent from the UP of Michigan or maybe deep south from Mississippi ;)

But turned out he nearly royalty and is an English friend of King George and over here, one can presume legally, from jolly old England, rides on the wrong side of the roadways, and does indeed have a short inseam. As my sister lives under the rule of Britannia and its Queen we had some commonality.

My wife's bike was set up about a half inch to 1 inch too tall for him. But we looked at the Soupy's adjustability and it appears that there is probably a 1/2 inch of play left in that lowering link. There is a bit, maybe another 1/4 inch in the rear spring load. He didn't even try to mount my steed, there was no point in that. Honestly there is plenty of attraction to him, he can easily ride a lowered NC700/750x but he will be slipping his weight off one side at a stop.

Looked over all the farkles on both bikes. The Madstad windscreens and the NEMO 2 chain oilers seemed to get much of the discussion. The cargo boxes, both the Givi and the H&B got their share of attention too. And the "Dale Rack" was not forgotten.

But I do have a question for you guru's of the model years 2012-2015: As both of mind are "new" style, one being a 2016 and the other a 2018, I known mine are dimensionally identical except for the shortening ... but does the prior style use the SAME frame and is it dimensionally the SAME? Was it just the plastics and the programming for the DCT the main 'upgrades' starting in 2016? So I guess is the 2012-15 just cosmetically different or is it dimensionally different than the 2016-2019?

2016+ models are primarily cosmetic, lighting, and electronic changes from 2012-2015 models (I avoided using the word “upgrade”). The frame is the same, except it could be perhaps painted a different color between model years, and mounting tabs for attached hardware are probably different.

I’d have to look at the specs, but I believe suspension travel, wheels, and anything else that could affect ride height are unchanged since the beginning of NC-X time.

Last edited:
First, Thanks Ted for the support and as you say, an exceptionally kind thing for Mr. and Mrs. Bob to do!

As Bob said, we had a very good and for me personally a very informative meet up.
My wife very much enjoyed talking to Mrs. Bob (we do know her name but privacy prevails) and meanwhile Bob talked to me about their two bikes…….one had lowering links which I was very interested in.

I did sit on the lowered bike but it was just out of my ‘comfort zone’ as is, bearing in mind that I intend to do some very light riding on unpaved, uneven surfaced roads!
As bob mentions, I believe that I could make the bike work for me with a few more modifications.
Seat to bars no problem……one good thing about stumpy legs, once on the move I am spread out and not cramped!

I very much enjoyed Bob explaining about his ‘FARKLES’, (sounds a bit naughty to me)…….his color matched cargo boxes really tied them in to the rest of the bike….rather than leaving them a complete aluminum finish!

The “Dale Rack” and especially the NEMO 2 chain boilers caught my eye for the very straight foreword design and quality!
So, it was a nice day out for the wife and myself……nice to talk to a couple that have used these bikes on a longer rides and have very good insight and advice to give!
Yes legal from day one in the states (30 short years ago), was going to Australia after one year but never got there!
Not quite as close to royalty and King George as Bob suggests……you should hear me talk, not ‘posh’ at all!

Again THANKS Bob and his better half for your time and very well received advice and conversation…..
All the best Sue and Steve

Ps…..Did I mention that we enjoyed ourselves?

As bob mentions, I believe that I could make the bike work for me with a few more modifications.
Seat to bars no problem……one good thing about stumpy legs, once on the move I am spread out and not cramped!

The “Dale Rack” and especially the NEMO 2 chain boilers caught my eye for the very straight foreword design and quality!
So, it was a nice day out for the wife and myself……nice to talk to a couple that have used these bikes on a longer rides and have very good insight and advice to give!

Yes legal from day one in the states (30 short years ago), was going to Australia after one year but never got there!
Not quite as close to royalty and King George as Bob suggests……you should hear me talk, not ‘posh’ at all!...

Good thing you are not actually related to good King George. Last time he sent his boys over here they stirred up a heap load of trouble and asked us to give up our guns. We shot them and ran off the survivors!

The lovely Mrs_Bob's bike will be lowered a bit more when her rear tire is changed. As I have 4 new Michelin Road 5 tires on order (hoping they arrive today or tomorrow) I'm just going to take the lowering link off and adjust it down as low as it will go. I know I can get another 1/4" out of it easily but might be able to get as much as 3/4" of an inch more drop? When it comes apart we will find out. The goal is to get Mrs_Bob to be able to flat foot BOTH feet when we are done. Now she is flat on one foot + ball of the foot on the other side. We shall see. We shall see.

As for the NEMO 2, it should be noted that I switched from "Bar & Chain Oil" which is used on chain saws and over to heavier 85-140 Gear Oil. I was getting a bit to much 'fling off' from the bar & chain oil and making a bit too much of a mess.

Re lowering. I too am of short inseam.
My 2013 is lowered with some links a friend made in his metal fab shop—he has a water cutting machine and made me the size I wanted.
I also put in a CBR 600 shock which both improved ride and handling and lowered another .5 inch.
It’s still tall for me, but quite manageable.

Rainier,
What year shock did you use……did it have a remote reservoir and if so where did you mount it!
A lot of questions in one line…
Thanks Steve

Hi guys,
Do any of you have a ‘lowered’ NC700 / 750 that live within a 4 hour drive of Walled Lake, Michigan.
Just NW of Detroit, who would let me try the bike for size.
I am not asking to RIDE the bike …….. just sit and try it for size and how it feels!

Steve we are lowering the lovely Mrs_Bob’s bike again today. I just did a test straddle over her seat. There is close to 3” of daylight between my rear end and the seat now ... and I’m wearing baggy pants today.

When you and I looked at the adjustment we thought the last few turns on it would lower it. Actually that was the wrong way. By extending several more turns the bike gets lower. By shortening it the bike gets taller. So there was a LOT more adjustability to lower the bike than we thought. I’m going to have to cut more off the kickstand!!!

If you want to try again we can probably arrange another meet up.

Last edited:
Back