• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

600 Mile Inspection Question

Juan_Banjovy

Reaction score
Visit site
Should the mechanic wait 24 hours after the engine is shut off before adjusting the valves? If they need adjusting? That was the case with my scooter, no mention of it in the Honda manual. Just want to make sure it gets done right. I'd do the inspection myself but the dealer told me that would void my warranty so I'll bring it in next week. Took me awhile to recover from hip surgery & now it's 100+ degrees so miles are coming slow. Can't wait until October.

Yup, should be “room temperature” for the adjustment. But 600 miles...? And doing it yourself won’t void your warranty...

Flee that dealer. He is unethical at best and a thief at worst.

There is no valve check or adjustment at the 600 mile service. It's an oil & filter(s) change, checking of chain tension and adjustment if needed, checking the brakes and the tightness of various nuts and bolts.

In the USA the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act frees the consumer from being required to take the vehicle to an authorized dealer for suggested maintenance items. If something did go wrong the manufacturer has the burden of proving neglect by the owner caused the problem.

First valve check at 16,000 miles and yes, the engine needs to be room temperature. I think the common service manual says 95 F or less.

Last edited:
After seeing this thread I had to go check my manual to be sure. For my 2018 the only 600 mile service is oil and filter. Valve adjustment isn't until 16,000.

I've heard of dealers say they could "void your warranty" but I don't think that's true, probably wouldn't hold up in court. Just save your dated receipts proving you bought oil and filters and maintenance parts.
If you want to check the valves yourself there is at least one video showing how.

Do you still have a warranty on a 2014?

After seeing this thread I had to go check my manual to be sure. For my 2018 the only 600 mile service is oil and filter. Valve adjustment isn't until 16,000.

I've heard of dealers say they could "void your warranty" but I don't think that's true, probably wouldn't hold up in court. Just save your dated receipts proving you bought oil and filters and maintenance parts.
If you want to check the valves yourself there is at least one video showing how.

Do you still have a warranty on a 2014?
Still have the warranty, got it new in May.

Good info everyone, thanks. He said they would check valve clearance but I'll ask him again because as mentioned here it's not due until 16K miles. If they say it's due at 600 & want a lot of money I'll show them my manual. Shows inspect at 16K. Will call Tuesday & get details. They're very busy tomorrow & closed Sunday & Monday. At 16K miles I'd do the valves myself. Looks easy. Did it on a few cars & my scooter. Already did an oil & filter change & coolant change since it's 5 years old, not sure if that was necessary but didn't want to wonder.

Good info everyone, thanks. He said they would check valve clearance but I'll ask him again because as mentioned here it's not due until 16K miles. If they say it's due at 600 & want a lot of money I'll show them my manual. Shows inspect at 16K. Will call Tuesday & get details. They're very busy tomorrow & closed Sunday & Monday. At 16K miles I'd do the valves myself. Looks easy. Did it on a few cars & my scooter. Already did an oil & filter change & coolant change since it's 5 years old, not sure if that was necessary but didn't want to wonder.

So you bought a used bike from a dealer and have his local warranty, not honored by American Honda? Or is your bike NOS???
I agree with dduelin, that dealer is demanding that you pay him for an expensive, unnecessary check and threatening to void your warranty if you don't comply??? Screw that, get it in writing and inform American Honda. Scams like that (unnecessary work/charges) have been around since the first dealer 120 years ago.
This isn't an innocent mistake, he has shown you his true colors and you need to find a different dealer.

Also, I'd change the brake fluid too.

The worst part of valve adj to me is draining the coolant because there isn't a convenient way to do it. I now use a clean, drain pan so am able to save & reuse most of the coolant and only have to add a little bit at the end to top off the reservoir. And it doesn't make too much of a mess on my bike lift!

I called & got a different answer this time. This time they said $180 & they don't check the valves. I guess it depends on who I speak to. I'll hold them to that when I bring it in Tuesday.

I still wouldn’t trust that dealer - at best he’s completely incompetent, at worst a crook.

If you’ve already done an oil and coolant change, why are you going in to the dealer for the 600 mile service? There’s nothing else but checking some items. Keep your receipts and note the mileage on the oil change to support you’ve done the required maintenance in case of a future warranty claim.

But run from that dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I called & got a different answer this time. This time they said $180 & they don't check the valves. I guess it depends on who I speak to. I'll hold them to that when I bring it in Tuesday.

If you already did an oil, filter, and coolant change, and the valve check is not due, are you sure you even want to take it to the dealer now? It’s not necessary to maintain your warranty. They probably won’t do anything you haven’t already done, and might very well mess up your bike, like over tighten the chain or put the fasteners back in the wrong places. Personally I’d keep the dealer’s hands off my bike at all costs.

I still wouldn’t trust that dealer - at best he’s completely incompetent, at worst a crook.

If you’ve already done an oil and coolant change, why are you going in to the dealer for the 600 mile service? There’s nothing else but checking some items. Keep your receipts and note the mileage on the oil change to support you’ve done the required maintenance in case of a future warranty claim.

But run from that dealer.

Thinking I'll take it in just for future insurance. I asked they guy if they would honor the warranty if I did the service myself. He said "I'll ask the manager." A few minutes later he said "No." I could probably challenge him on it but I'll just let them do it in case I need something serious/expensive fixed in the future & they get stubborn.

As has been said above, the dealer is either misinformed or lying. It is illegal to try to condition the consumer warranty on having the dealer perform the service.

I wouldn’t use your dealer if I was stranded on the side of the road.

Thinking I'll take it in just for future insurance. I asked they guy if they would honor the warranty if I did the service myself. He said "I'll ask the manager." A few minutes later he said "No." I could probably challenge him on it but I'll just let them do it in case I need something serious/expensive fixed in the future & they get stubborn.

I would not take the bike to this dealer. On Monday, I would contact American Honda Customer Service by one of the methods in this link Contact Us and ask them what you just asked the dealer. Let American Honda answer first, and see how it compares with the dealer’s answer. Then tell them how this dealer has been attempting to use warranty coverage eligibility to entice you to do business with them. It would be interesting to see how they respond. Save a transcript of the conversation.

You have or can develop the skills needed to keep this motorcycle maintained. Try to make yourself independent of dealer service. You will save money and your life with the bike will become easier.

Wow, maybe this is the only dealer within a couple hundred miles of you - BUT, it doesn’t seem wise to even attempt to do business with him since he’s clearly being dishonest with you. He could never be trusted with any future work that may be needed.

+1 on DIY, and keep records. Pictures are good.

24h is excessive but I like to wait 8h. Maybe it's overkill but I'd rather know it's right.

And as other people stated, I'd stay away from that dealer.

600 miles is both filters plus oil.
So, so, easy - you can do yourself.
I bought everything from the dealer and kept the invoice in case there is ever an issue later on.
I wanted to see my old oil.
However unless you got extended warranty - its 1 year. So unlikely a 2nd old change while warranted.

Careful not to over-tighten the clutch filter cover. Just hand tight.

... oops - 2 filters if DCT, and only clutch oil filter cover if DCT.

That dealer is a scam artist (in my opinion)...There is no 600 mile valve check, if it is a manufacturer warranty-it cannot be denied per federal law and the dealer should know this (just keep the receipts of the oil/filter purchase)-now, if you paid for a local dealer warranty, maybe....but that is also questionable...only service at 600 miles is oil/filter(s) change, visual check of chain (adjust if necessary-usually not necessary at 600 miles), and check bolts for tightness. One hour job at most....even for us non-mechanical guys...

Back