• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Long Distance Touring

Sasmaster

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my NC for commuting as well as day trips over the weekend but now I'm itching for some long distance, week-long touring. I'm faced with the question of whether to invest in the gear which will make such touring possible / more enjoyable (i.e. bags, seat, shield, etc.) or invest in a purpose built machine with more power and shaft drive while keeping my friendly commuter. Obviously one choice costs more than the other but even though you can skin an apple with a spoon, it doesn't mean its the most suitable tool for the job. I blame my Beemer friends this head fog :cool:

What is your touring experience / advice?

All depends on your style of touring. I tour on my CBR 1100XX, my ST1300 and my Goldwing.
Do you want to stop and see a lot of things. Do you like to stop and look at shops, roadside historical sites, etc, etc. If so then get a comfortable seat, put some removable bags on it and an automatic chain oiler and go. It is perfectly suited for touring near and far. Seen some video of people going up through Alaska. Do you want to tour the back roads and gravel roads or fire roads out west? This is a very good bike for that.
Do you want to tour and just go and go? Do you have a passenger to take with you? Do you want to pound the miles out on paved roads? Shaft drive is nice for that. Bigger heavier bikes are too.
I would just start going a little further afield around your place and see for yourself. Many a person loads them up and goes and sees the world on it. It's really personal preference.
I have 5 motorcycles and speak from experience on the following!!! Having two means twice the maintenance, twice the insurance, twice the registration fees, twice the farkles to buy...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

No problem touring with our NCx’s.

Currently a couple thousand miles into a 4000+ mile trip.

Useful mods make the NC a capable tourer. Sure a big HD will be more comfortable if you want a cushy seat. A BMW or KTM adeventure bike will be more capable overland.

Ride your ride. It’s all your choice.

The main deterrent for me riding the NC long distance is comfort, meaning not being in pain after a couple thousand miles. So a seat that works for me is important, along with some weather protection, for example, good windshield.

The NC can be outfitted with ample luggage capacity, and the machine will do the miles reliably.

Your decision to buy a touring bike or outfit your NC for touring depends on your desire, budget, storage space, etc.

I have bikes for various purposes: scooter, dirt bike, dual sport, mid size solo (NC), long distance & two up touring (GL). Of the 4 street legal bikes, the NC is closest to being the jack of all trades, although if I was limited to one bike, it would be the Goldwing.

Last edited:
Hey Sas, welcome to the Ride!

I just purchased my NC700x in Feb of last year and i have about 14k on it so far. I have made many 1 day trips of 450-500 miles as well as 4 day trips covering 1200-1400 miles and one 9 day trip where i covered 7 states and 2600 miles! I am not a little guy at 6'6" and 230lbs, so when fully packed and on the interstate i ask a lot out of my NC and i do not baby it on any of the mountain passes i travel. (maybe that is why my DanMoto stainless pipe is purple most of the way back haha)!

As has been stated so eloquently before by others, the NC is a very capable bike and will do a lot that you ask of it. It is not a GW on the interstate, and it is not 1200cc KTM Adventure bike. However, IMHO, i believe and have done many miles on my NC in both of those arenas. I enjoy everything about the NC and it's capabilities, for me it is the perfect bike and i am so very happy with it.

Personally, i like touring with it. One day trips, 4 days trips, my 9 day trip etc and every day i get the chance to hop on that girl and RIDE somewhere..ok, mostly for PIE! there i said it! :{P

For me. I watched Craig's list(ok still do) and was not afraid to ride or drive to further locations and buy gear for it so i could tour/camp on it. You'll need to outfit it to fit your needs and your style. I recently returned from a 4 day trip up to BC & Alb Canada. I just returned from another 4 day trip to Glacier National park(even saw a grizzly).

In conclusion Sas... Don't be afraid to gear up your NC and enjoy the ride man!! It is an amazing machine!! :{)

This is the most "Loaded" i have ever had my NC. Yah, i had half of my dresser in those bags haha! On that trip, i covered 7 states in 9 days and travelled 2600 miles, i climbed/dropped elevations from 2200ft to 11000ft down to 700ft and back up to 2200ft. It was an amazing trip that i cant wait to do again! :{)
Salmon river sign riggins Id.jpg

Last edited:
This is the most "Loaded" i have ever had my NC. Yah, i had half of my dresser in those bags haha! On that trip, i covered 7 states in 9 days and travelled 2600 miles, i climbed/dropped elevations from 2200ft to 11000ft down to 700ft and back up to 2200ft. It was an amazing trip that i cant wait to do again! :{)
View attachment 38823

Eeek, did your bike bottom out a lot on the bumps with that much weight ... or has suspension been one of your upgrades?

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

This is how I look at the NC700X for long rides. We go to Orlando every summer for an annual trip to Disney. Most of the time we rent a Town & Country for 6 people but last year they did not have a van and I got a 2018 Ford Expedition. Both make the trip easily but that Expedition was a heck of a lot more comfortable and better suited for the trip. I have had this bike for over 6 years and still really like it but in my opinion it is best used as a commuter. Sure, you can do anything with it but it excels in the moderate length commuting type rides. If you wanna spend a bunch of money to make it work, that is always fun too. After about 5 hours I am done but that is my limited experience.

All depends on your style of touring.
I would just start going a little further afield around your place and see for yourself. Many a person loads them up and goes and sees the world on it. It's really personal preference.
I have 5 motorcycles and speak from experience on the following!!! Having two means twice the maintenance, twice the insurance, twice the registration fees, twice the farkles to buy...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is the best advice so far.

I suggest not spending money on anything you don't know you need yet. It's easy to get carried away buying seats and lights and bags and bars and screens and whatever. The list will never truly end. Take it on some trips and the bike will tell you what it needs. You may not need anything other than a dry bag strapped to the seat behind you

This is the best advice so far.

I suggest not spending money on anything you don't know you need yet. It's easy to get carried away buying seats and lights and bags and bars and screens and whatever. The list will never truly end. Take it on some trips and the bike will tell you what it needs. You may not need anything other than a dry bag strapped to the seat behind you

Good advice. Get a water proof duffle bag and take a couple of weekend or overnight trips. You'll eventually figure out what you need vrs. what you want. Remember, money spent on bikes and gear is money not spent on traveling. If money is not an issue, have two bikes.

For me, a good wind screen, saddle, center stand (makes oiling the chain much easier) credit card and a little cash. Everything else is convenient.

I took a 6500 mile trip a few years ago. On day 5, I stopped at a UPS store and sent home a big box of stuff.

After 4 years with the NC on a good number of 3-7 day trips, I figured out that (1) saddle, screen, and handlebar position are the Holy Trinity of comfort (or not) over long distance - so get a saddle that works for you, a screen to block wind/rain and reduce buffeting, and handlebar risers if you need them; (2) I carry far too much in the way of tools - tire plugs and pump, some zip ties and gorilla tape, and a small set of tools is enough - I’m not gonna do major repairs on the side of the road, that’s what Good Sam is for; and (3) I always pack too many clothes - if it’s a true bike trip I need 1/2 as many base layers and skivvies (I use quick dry that can be easily washed in a sink and dried overnight), and usually one pair of street pants and a couple T-shirt’s will suffice.

I have the OEM panniers and could probably make do with just them, but I have a FirstGear Torrent 40L drybag that goes on the multi day trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the NC makes a fine light tourer and have made many 3 to 8 day trips of up to 4500 miles. For me it's the expectations I place on the bike and the experience. I'm blessed to have owned or own other touring and sport touring bikes and I don't expect the NC to cover ground like my ST1300 did or cosset me like the Goldwing does but I still travel on it and have a great time doing so. When I bought an NC in 2012 I knew I'd make the 400-500 mile trek from my home to the mountains a few times a year on it so I installed the minimum luggage necessary to go on those weekend trips. I do 300-600 mile day rides so the very first thing was I got the windshield and seat sorted out - I rode the stock seat for 25,000 miles with just the Showkey mod. Then I put a rack on the back and between a used 46 liter top box, a dry bag on the back seat, and the frunk this was sufficient for a couple of years. Only later did I add side cases for longer trips but I made plenty weekend trips without them.

If you haven't much experience with bikes to compare the NC to, I think it needs to be said that the NC runs down the road with a comfortable, loping gait compared to higher-strung 650/750s. The low rpm engine does not tingle or buzz the bars, seat, and foot pegs. If you have had other midsize bikes you know twin and four cylinder engines in this class can make uncomfortable traveling partners at 65-85 mph. The NC is just a really nice bike to ride for long periods and can be made touring-class capable with a few modifications or additions and those costs are a fraction of a 100+ hp tourer or sport tourer.

In some areas of the country, the smallish 3.9 gal fuel tank might be a problem.

I use a Cortech tailpack for multi-day trips and I've finally figured out how to keep the bag mostly in place when I open the passenger seat to refuel. I had to build purpose-specific hooks that use existing bolts for my Givi box racks. Now on my 2nd trip, I have some ideas on how to refine those hooks. :)

I live east of the Mississipi, so finding gas anytime i need it is not a problem. I carry light (one shirt, pair of socks, pair of underwear for each day I am gone, plus 2 pair of jeans), and a few tools-mostly for chain adjustment..I have done 1000 miles in 17 hours and 3000 miles that week... i dont camp so when i leave for the weekend i dont worry about camping gear.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
NC is my commuter/daily driver.

But in my 20'ish year of riding motorcycles, I have owned everything from superbikes, to BMW GS Adventures, to Harley baggers and everything in between. Currently have mainly KTM's of varying types next to the NC. While a Goldwing, GS, Harley bagger types offers little better amenities than the NC....I would absolutely have zero hesitation outfitting the NC for a week long-plus road trip.

What the bigger and heavier bikes offers is little better weather protection and with the extra weight comes better stability in windy conditions. Also, the bigger bikes tend to track and maintain it's momentum better so it is little less taxing ride over a long period of time. To combat all of this, my suggestion is to get a better windscreen, hand guards, heated grips, waterproof luggage system and good quality riding gear (jacket and pants). Also may want to shorten the day-to-day milege to something very manageable.

I am not saying this just as a fan of the bike, but as a motorcyclist who has owned just about everything under the sun at one point or another.... the NC is truly one of the most versatile motorcycles on the market today, even venture to say, possibly in the top 5 ever.

I live east of the Mississipi, so finding gas anytime i need it is not a problem. I carry light (one shirt, pair of socks, pair of underwear for each day I am gone, plus 2 pair of geans), and a few tools-mostly for chain adjustment..I have done 1000 miles in 17 hours and 3000 miles that week... i dont camp so when i leave for the weekend i dont worry about camping gear.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

I mounted a Dales rack on my NC and then put a rotopax mount on that for fuel. Strapped the duffle on top. Never needed the extra fuel, but came close once, only because I wasn't paying attention.

$15,000 buys you enough fuel to ride, as nuckaman said, one the 5 best bikes ever 900,000 miles. Not to mention arguably many more miles saved in maintenance. just sayin

IKR, literally check the chain, tire psi, fuel level and go for a RIDE Man!! :{)

Of the mods I did to my NC that I could probably not live without for long distance touring I would say there are 2 critical things (for me) that make the NC a viable mid-weight tourer:
1) Comfortable Seat (Corbin)
2) Touring Windshield (Madstad)

The bike is capable as it comes off the showroom floor. Luggage choices? Tie lawn & leaf trash bags to the side or add fancy cases, duffles, etc. Sure you can add bark busters (I did not) and chain oilers and a bunch of other stuff, but what do you need to make it? I guess that depends on you. I fancied mine up, but I tried to keep weight down and keep things functional. My touring modifications included a chain oiler, cell phone mount (for navigation), added front and rear lights, a Dale's rack to hold gear, and hard luggage. But I did NOT add crash bars, highway pegs, electrical modifications of any type, etc.

But beyond the seat & windshield it is very reasonable to say, Rapturee offers great advice when he says: check the chain, tires psi, fuel level and go for a ride!!!

One thing to keep in mind, most comments involve the seat and windshield. Seats and windshields are highly personal. Many people are fine with the stock seat and screen. Only you can determine if they need to be changed and the only way to determine that is to ride. I'd advise against changing anything preemptively. The bike will tell you what you need

Back